Wedgewood Village (Merritt Mansion Development, 6.3 acres, eight 4-6 story buildings, 800,000 sq. ft. mixed-use)

markhollin

29 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

Why  dont yall move to the neighborhood?  We are a welcoming bunch!  When I moved from Five Points to We-Ho in early 2015 I had read NashvilleNext so I expected big things in the neighborhood, but I did not imagine all this.  SoHo House, soccer stadium, the Hines project, Merritt Mansion...  Gangbusters. 

I live just to the SW of you between 10th and 12th Aves. South....am looking forward to coming over to WeHo more and more as the years progress with all of these exciting projects.

I know the brand new Publix on 8th Ave. South is just a dozen or so blocks from the heart of WeHo...but I could see some grocery chain looking seriously at another grocery in that neighborhood in the next several years with all the density of residential projects going up.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, UrbanWes03 said:

I really hope Nashville gains an urban Target soon. 

Yep, I've been banging this drum for a while, too. There a few neighborhoods in Nashville that seem prime locations for an urban-style Target. I'm a little surprised it hasn't already happened.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This project is in limbo now. 

Metro Councilmember Colby Sledge, in whose District 17 the property sits, told the Post Tuesday he received an email from the company president Friday morning noting A.J. Capital would no longer be negotiating with the neighborhood organization, South Nashville Action Partners (SNAP).

“So I informed them I would be withdrawing their rezoning application,” Sledge said.

A.J. Capital had been slated to appear before the Metro Council on May 4 for a second reading and public hearing related to the rezoning needed for the project — to offer residential, retail and office space and to include the Merritt Mansion being physically repositioned on the site.

Sledge said an A.J. Capital representative reached out with him this past weekend, noting the company would attempt to resume dialogue with SNAP.

“But, I made sure the practical effect of the zoning application withdrawal is that it kills their rezoning,” he said. “And that the company would have to restart the entire zoning application process.”

Sledge said A.J. Capital had been seeking a comprehensive rezoning that would have allowed a significant amount of mixed-use space, primarily commercial and retail.

“So now, at least for the short term, that's not going to happen,” he said. “And if they want to re-engage with the neighborhood, there's going to be a whole new set of parameters regarding that. That's where things stand right now.”

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/weho-project-involving-mansion-faces-uncertainty/article_3882f04c-a77d-11eb-9a69-afc71d41b5a8.html

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I had work and missed the SNAP meeting about this project, but I do believe this is because SNAP/residents and AJ had disagreements during said meeting. What I’ve heard so far is affordable housing was a main sticking point. Poking around for some answers. 

Edited by DMilner
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

AJ is not wanting to work with SNAP and Colby is pulling his support. That is what it boils down to. It seems to be a tit for tat. This is all hear say!!!!!!!

Below is my impression of the public persona of AJ Cap.

Pretty much the same thing with the Exit/In. AJ is not communicating with anyone effectively and it is seemingly their way or the highway. They do not do good it seems when communicating with the public and the media to get their side of the story out so they always end up looking like the bad boy. They have not done a good job either with the local TV stations communicating they are a local company now instead of a Chicago based company.

I do not know who they use for PR, but I would surely fire them and hire a new person or company.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 6:56 AM, smeagolsfree said:

AJ is not wanting to work with SNAP and Colby is pulling his support. That is what it boils down to. It seems to be a tit for tat. This is all hear say!!!!!!!

Below is my impression of the public persona of AJ Cap.

Pretty much the same thing with the Exit/In. AJ is not communicating with anyone effectively and it is seemingly their way or the highway. They do not do good it seems when communicating with the public and the media to get their side of the story out so they always end up looking like the bad boy. They have not done a good job either with the local TV stations communicating they are a local company now instead of a Chicago based company.

I do not know who they use for PR, but I would surely fire them and hire a new person or company.

Agree completely with this impression.  Having attended a couple different public forums with AJ, they really lack some common sense about how to cultivate public support.  For example, at a neighborhood forum about the Soho House/May Hosiery project,  there were a couple particular questions from the neighborhood where AJ could have responded immediately with "yes's", these would have been low hanging fruit commitments that would have cost them no money and little effort to meet.  (And to be fair to AJ,  this was as to just a few questions, certainly not all, there were definitely some oddball asks as there always are in community meetings).   But they couldn't even clear that bar,  there was tons of equivocation.  I've also heard rumblings that AJ's manner has even rubbed some of the other neighborhood business owners the wrong way.

If you just look around Wedgewood-Houston,  it is pretty obvious Councilman Sledge is readily working with a ton of developers and I've heard plenty of good, substantive dialogue raised by SNAP and neighbors at community meetings, which more often than not has culminated in support for many proposed projects in the neighborhood.  With all of that in mind,  it seems like AJ must be really dropping the ball to find themselves at this point with this project....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...