Park Place Nashville (2nd & Peabody), 36 story/433' and 32 story/375' residential towers; 18 story/234' hotel

markhollin

2 hours ago, downtownresident said:

You can email public comment to: [email protected]

Youll want to reference the case number: 2021CP-009-001. If you live in Davidson county, provide your address as well.

If you live/own property downtown, I’d state the building as well, and why you think this would benefit downtown as a whole. 

I just emailed. 

I remember the finance committee recommended disapproval for the MLS stadium, and we know how the project was subsequently approved. I wonder if this is a similar case? Praying this gets approved. 

• Like 4

On 3/20/2021 at 10:19 AM, downtownresident said:

Four Seasons wasn’t redesigned due to planning, more so one stubborn landowner/rumors of local office tenants influencing said landowner. IIRC, planning did sign off on the updated two-tower design that didn’t include the small parking lot  

I plan on watching the meeting, and providing public comment. I’ll be collecting my thoughts and drafting my comments this weekend. I’ll email Freddie as well and see if he can shed light on what is going on. 

I’m curious to see what planning has to say on this case, and the reasoning behind planning staff is recommending indefinite deferral. If they are deferring so that they can study a larger area and revisit density in the greater Lafayette area, I’ll be substantially less concerned and excited to participate as a member of the public in that process.

The city would have the opportunity to change the base zoning that is allowing for wide mid rise structures that do very little in terms of additional green space and the street scape. The city could allow for greater density in those areas in return for exceptional design, green space/open space, underground parking, etc. 

They’re recommending deferral of the community plan agreement, but the developers also have a separate overall height modification that they’ve applied for.  I am unsure if the developers can still obtain the overall height modification without the community plan amendment. 

The original staff recommendation mentioned that this project went before MDHA on March 2nd. Does anyone know if MDHA posts their meetings/makes their minutes available? I’m curious to see how that meeting went. 

Four Seasons got approval on the second tower again. They just decided to forego it to the benefit of the for sale units and they were spooked at the time because it was meant to be multi-family and there was a crazy amount of multi-family under construction.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I got a response from Bob Medes, and while this is not his district, he did say Planning is independent of Council, and anything Planning approves will need 21 votes from Council for final approval. Any item Planning does not approve, council needs 27 votes to override. 

With that being said, @Bos2Nash do you know if, as @downtownresident stated, this project can get approved without the community plan amendment if the developers get the height modification? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I cannot say without any confidence, no. But I do tend to doubt they would get the height modification approved without the community plan amendment. As the report initially said - before the indefinite deferral - originally the developer had planned to pursue both at the same time, but they decoupled that at the request of MDHA i believe. I think it would be unwise of city council to go around planning on this change personally. I think the developers should work with the council and their neighbors to change the community plan for multiple parcels before trying again. 

As smeags said though, the deferral is probably at the behest of the developer so they can regroup and approach the project from a different angle. There is A TON of behind the scenes stuff that is occurring even with a single approach to zoning elements, so I wouldn't say the project is dead at all, just working through some kinks.  

A really off the wall idea could be the developers scrap the plans at this site and purchase the Swerdling site and place their development there. It would be a loss for the city from the hotel standpoint, but would be quite the little maneuver haha.

They could also make a move for the Ragland site or Bode.

I think we'll see Planning look at the Cumulus site, this site, and others along Peabody street as a result. The original staff report stated that the Cumulus site is being marketed, so it would be wise to take a look at that parcel as well. 

I could also see them ponying up more money for traffic / infrastructure improvements throughout the Lafayette / Rutledge Hill subdistricts to help move this along. Hopefully they don't have to scale back the ground level of the development, the additional open space, retail, and revamped 3rd / Lea intersection would breath incredible life into that area. I'm ok with some height being taken off if they can make the ground level work. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

image.thumb.png.ddf53d6d2f5e93ef191a817e49a0eb8e.png

^^This is a good option.  All you have to do is drive around a few blocks and you’ll quickly understand where the line of demarcation is.   Lea feels like the change of neighborhood from Rutledge Hill to downtown / SoBro (with a little room left over and suburban-style apartment complex right along 2nd ave south of Lea).  Now…I’m sure the Rutledge Hill people want to keep that land between Lea and Peabody as a “buffer” zone to keep their views of downtown and keep encroachment away…but I personally believe it would be just as well suited for skyscrapers right up to Lea.  Everything north of Lea…height.  Everything south…keep the historic structures and encourage building brownstones and similar buildings…brick.  You’re still going to have a view of downtown…but closer up.

I would also just go to 4th and everything between 4th and Lafayette could height as well.  There may be a cool old building or two within some of that area…but that shouldn’t keep you from building a skyscraper right up next to it considering land prices.  It’s no different than like what Tony is building with Prime right up against a row of 150 year old brick buildings.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^This is a good option.  All you have to do is drive around a few blocks and you’ll quickly understand where the line of demarcation is.   Lea feels like the change of neighborhood from Rutledge Hill to downtown / SoBro (with a little room left over and suburban-style apartment complex right along 2nd ave south of Lea).  Now…I’m sure the Rutledge Hill people want to keep that land between Lea and Peabody as a “buffer” zone to keep their views of downtown and keep encroachment away…but I personally believe it would be just as well suited for skyscrapers right up to Lea.  Everything north of Lea…height.  Everything south…keep the historic structures and encourage building brownstones and similar buildings…brick.  You’re still going to have a view of downtown…but closer up.

I would also just go to 4th and everything between 4th and Lafayette could height as well.  There may be a cool old building or two within some of that area…but that shouldn’t keep you from building a skyscraper right up next to it considering land prices.  It’s no different than like what Tony is building with Prime right up against a row of 150 year old brick buildings.

Or the AT&T Building being built a block off of 2nd Ave. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, downtownresident said:

I could also see them ponying up more money for traffic / infrastructure improvements throughout the Lafayette / Rutledge Hill subdistricts to help move this along. Hopefully they don't have to scale back the ground level of the development, the additional open space, retail, and revamped 3rd / Lea intersection would breath incredible life into that area.

I was a bit confused by this comment as well. I guess they would be looking for full road rebuild and sidewalk on both sides Leas, Peabody and 3rd Ave for the full perimeter of the development's block. I tend to doubt they would agree to rebuild 2nd beyond the sidewalk, planting strip and portion of the road they would be required to. That street is not going to have on street parking - nor should it - and honestly if they are already talking about the Cummulus site being offered the developers know they would need to do the new sidewalks and planting strips along 2nd Ave, so I would doubt the developer wants to give that project free work. 

Beyond that though, these streets have the same capacity of many of the streets in the actual core, so I am a bit confused as to what Planning is referring to. Maybe making 3rd Ave & Peabody intersection a signalized intersection?

• Like 3

Who knew urban development was so gut wrenching.  You good folk know way more about the ins and outs of development.  I'm just the, look at that cool new tall building type with a HUGE affinity for such activity in Music City.   With that said, feeling incredibly dejected after reading through the comments.  Fell in love with this project the day it was posted in UP.  Was on cloud nine for days after even though it was merely a proposal.  Nashville is my FAVORITE  city hands down  AND IMO, this one felt like a project you would see in one of the major skyscraper centers in our country...and therefore would take our game to another level.  So disappointed if this one dies on the vine or has to be reduced in magnitude from outside pressures.  :tw_cold_sweat:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

The Congress Group requested the deferral ("indefinitely") at Planning. So this one looks like it's being tabled for the time being. Hopefully things will move in the right direction to see this materialize. 

From NBJ:  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/03/29/2nd-and-peabody.html

I would imagine they increase the study area and take another swing at it. I’d love for them to buy the Cumulus site across the street, build 20 stories right on top of City Lights, and then 30+ at 2nd and Peabody. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...