Lake Eola Park

orange87

I think the City of Orlando should really try to buy up all the remaining land for Lake Eola Park. The Fifth-Third Building on the NW corner. The cluster of buildings on the SW corner. And the World of Beer Building (?) in the South Center. It would cost a lot of money, but I think it would be money well spent. Lake Eola Park might be downtown's biggest asset.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I think the City of Orlando should really try to buy up all the remaining land for Lake Eola Park. The Fifth-Third Building on the NW corner. The cluster of buildings on the SW corner. And the World of Beer Building (?) in the South Center. It would cost a lot of money, but I think it would be money well spent. Lake Eola Park might be downtown's biggest asset.

Make your donation now to the Orlando Land Trust to add the lots at Central and Rosalind to the park!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Make your donation now to the Orlando Land Trust to add the lots at Central and Rosalind to the park!

Which buildings are being considered on that corner? It looks like there are four. The Rosalind Club building, 7-Eleven building, City Centre building and that thing that looks like a house.

15 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Which buildings are being considered on that corner? It looks like there are four. The Rosalind Club building, 7-Eleven building, City Centre building and that thing that looks like a house.

The first to be purchased will be the 7-Eleven. The sevvie can relocate to the old Delta ticket counter at the Metropolitan (corner of Washington and Rosalind) for those who can’t seem to live without their Big Gulp fix.

Edited by spenser1058

3 minutes ago, codypet said:

Isn't there two businesses operating on that corner already?  7/11 can move into the empty spot in Moderna if they want the corner so bad.

I thought they got zapped in the protests last summer but I’m sure the crowd at the sevvie and the UC would have a fine time together also!

Or heck, they could even build a brand new brick 7-Eleven on the empty lot at Rosalind and Washington. There could be  gas pumps downtown!

Edited by spenser1058

Can't wait to see what GAI comes up w from all the public meetings to create the new 'Master Plan' for improvements to the park.

One of the bigger things I think gets overlooked is there really isn't anything to tie together the history/different areas around the park. You mention the Ting and amphitheater, wouldn't it be cool to share the story of how this is the 4th amphitheater on the lake ? There's the 'Sister Cities' sign by WOB but it's in the middle of some grass and idk if there's anything to read there about how those cities are tied to Orlando.

If you take the entrance into the park across from Publix  there are two plaques to the left and right, the one on the right is so far in you have to go into the landscaping to really see it and both just seem really random. The marble from Taiwan and the bridge over nothing by Rosalind either go overlooked or leave people with a big question mark. At least the busts along the bridge they built in the 90s have info you can read about them, but also seem dropped in the park without much purpose to their location that's now mainly (only?) really used for the farmer's market.

I think an online walking tour of the city's history as it's represented around the lake would be really awesome. Maybe have QR codes to a map of items in the park, then each item have a QR to it's info. A sign somewhere to teach my mom how to use QR codes would also have to be placed. Lol

SisterCitiesSignPark.jpg

20201102_143022.jpg

20201102_142916.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Mayor Marks and the Linton Allen markers were closer to the sidewalk prior to Mayor Bill’s 1987 redo that added the seating on the incline leading up to Central. The main path used to be hidden along that stretch as there was simply a wall holding the earth in between it and the street. A lot of naughtiness used to occur along that stretch. The restrooms were also stone “bunkers” that weren’t particularly safe.

In fact, iirc, the Centennial Fountain marker was on the side of the fountain’s old pump house which was replaced.

The concrete path along the lake was doubled (and the brick shoulders added), which also had to do with some of the relocation.

Nevertheless, almost 35 years later, it’s definitely time to revisit the issues you mention. The sculptures along the “international bridge” (it opened in time for World Cup in ‘94, I think) are an interesting case. If the Confederate statue was removed because of civil rights issues, some of those sculptures would likely have their own issues if scrutinized by today’s standards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

One other fun thing I’ve thought about - if Lake Eola’s so unimportant, why exactly is it not only on the official city seal and the city flag, but also just about everything else to do with the city?

What else were we going to put on the seal & flag? A strip mall?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, F-L-A said:

What else were we going to put on the seal & flag? A strip mall?

Mickey ears. Or “visit Orlando.” Bottom line, Lake Eola Park is immensely important to the city and its resident, as evidenced by attempts to preserve and expand. It is downtown’s crown jewel. Any argument otherwise is silly and facetious.

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of all of the changes except the parking change on Eola Drive. Is 4 additional spaces really worth the cost of loosing that part of the tree canopy? The Thornton Park Garage provides tons of parking for that side of the park.

Some other points:

• Absorbing Washington St. and the Osceola Circle into the park is a great easy way to increase the effective useful area.
  • The boardwalk around the amphitheater does a good job at connecting the two sides of the park there. Also, it makes private events at the amphitheater easier and less annoying.
  • I'm all for the plan to decrease the stink from The Rookery.
  • I'm indifferent on getting rid of International Bridge.
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, WAJAS said:

I'm a big fan of all of the changes except the parking change on Eola Drive. Is 4 additional spaces really worth the cost of loosing that part of the tree canopy? The Thornton Park Garage provides tons of parking for that side of the park.

Some other points:

• Absorbing Washington St. and the Osceola Circle into the park is a great easy way to increase the effective useful area.
  • The boardwalk around the amphitheater does a good job at connecting the two sides of the park there. Also, it makes private events at the amphitheater easier and less annoying.
  • I'm all for the plan to decrease the stink from The Rookery.
  • I'm indifferent on getting rid of International Bridge.

I think getting rid of International Bridge might be partially a safety issue.  When it gets crowded during events, it can be difficult to leave in case of an emergency. 

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

I think getting rid of International Bridge might be partially a safety issue.  When it gets crowded during events, it can be difficult to leave in case of an emergency. 

It also pulls the people walking around the park to the farmer's market area instead of completely bypassing it and makes the swanboats a focal point.  Agreed on the boardwalk preventing cut offs associated with events happening at the amphitheater.  With the swanboats and the ramp gone, now Relax Grille gets proper lakeside seating.  I think we all knew Washington pretty much being absorbed into the park was happening, but its nice to see.  Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the defacto farmers market area eventually.

I wish Lake Eloa had a dog park area. The only dog park in downtown Orlando is Constitution Green which is just a fenced in dirt pile. 

In contrast to Downtown Tampa, there are at least a half dozen quality dog parks peppered around downtown and Channelside. I've always felt that downtown Orlando has always been pet friendly but I feel like they are falling behind. I know it may be a bit silly but it's an important asset for a lot of people. 

Edited by KnightBay
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KnightBay said:

I wish Lake Eloa had a dog park area. The only dog park in downtown Orlando is Constitution Green which is just a fenced in dirt pile. 

In contrast to Downtown Tampa, there are at least a half dozen quality dog parks peppered around downtown and Channelside. I've always felt that downtown Orlando has always been pet friendly but I feel like they are falling behind. I know it may be a bit silly but it's an important asset for a lot of people. 

FWICS, Eola Park pretty much IS a dog park.

Every time I go there, I see dozens of people walking their dogs.

They even have dog poop bag stations. 

44 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

FWICS, Eola Park pretty much IS a dog park.

Every time I go there, I see dozens of people walking their dogs.

They even have dog poop bag stations. 

Lake Eloa is definitely a dog friendly park but being a dog friendly park is not the same thing as a dog park. Similarly, saying a park is child friendly but doesn't have a playground, is it really the same thing? Dog parks aren't a necessity but it's a perk that peer cities are offering and Orlando is falling behind. 

• Like 1