Jump to content

Lake Eola Park


orange87

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, KnightBay said:

Lake Eloa is definitely a dog friendly park but being a dog friendly park is not the same thing as a dog park. Similarly, saying a park is child friendly but doesn't have a playground, is it really the same thing? Dog parks aren't a necessity but it's a perk that peer cities are offering and Orlando is falling behind. 

What I'm wondering is whether or not the dogs care.....   thinking2.png 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

What I'm wondering is whether or not the dogs care.....   thinking2.png 

Do kids care if the park has a playground?

9 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Guess ya missed Paws In The Park while in Tampa...

What was that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

Self explanatory annual event.

Okay, thank you...

I wasn't sure if it was a current reoccurring event, a cancelled event (COVID related maybe), or some other type of local retail or service? Apologies for asking for clarification. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, KnightBay said:

Okay, thank you...

I wasn't sure if it was a current reoccurring event, a cancelled event (COVID related maybe), or some other type of local retail or service? Apologies for asking for clarification. 

Paws in the Park  is an annual event at Lake Eola that takes over half the park with Vendors and dog activities.

 

Not every park in Orlando needs to be a dog park.  Walk three  blocks and you're at Constitution Green.  I'm tired of self absorbed long-leashed dog owners texting and blocking the sidewalks while they think it's fun to watch their dog harass the Swans (btw, third degree felony) and leave dog poo all over the place.  If you want the responsibility of a dog put some effort into it and not look for taxpayers to subsidize your convenience.  I have been a dog owner, but not that kind of dog owner.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, FLheat said:

Paws in the Park  is an annual event at Lake Eola that takes over half the park with Vendors and dog activities.

 

Not every park in Orlando needs to be a dog park.  Walk three  blocks and you're at Constitution Green.  I'm tired of self absorbed long-leashed dog owners texting and blocking the sidewalks while they think it's fun to watch their dog harass the Swans (btw, third degree felony) and leave dog poo all over the place.  If you want the responsibility of a dog put some effort into it and not look for taxpayers to subsidize your convenience.  I have been a dog owner, but not that kind of dog owner.

You do recognize that the accessibility of the dog park typically curbs that activity, right?

Luckily, that corner 7/11 building will be demolished and nothing will replace it for probably a decade and that can just become the dog park some people desire.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, FLheat said:

Paws in the Park  is an annual event at Lake Eola that takes over half the park with Vendors and dog activities.

 

Not every park in Orlando needs to be a dog park.  Walk three  blocks and you're at Constitution Green.  I'm tired of self absorbed long-leashed dog owners texting and blocking the sidewalks while they think it's fun to watch their dog harass the Swans (btw, third degree felony) and leave dog poo all over the place.  If you want the responsibility of a dog put some effort into it and not look for taxpayers to subsidize your convenience.  I have been a dog owner, but not that kind of dog owner.

There is apparently a lot of hostility towards pets in Orlando. I guess I now understand why the city is falling so far behind other urban metros when it comes to dog parks. 

Now to address your comments. 

1. No one said that EVERY park in Orlando should be a dog park. However, there should be a higher percentage of dog parks in the urban core compared to more rural areas. Hopefully the reason is obvious and I don't need to go into further detail as to why. 

2. Just walk three blocks to another park? What kind of logic is that? Why have more than 1 park in downtown for anyone then?

3. Why punish the responsible dog owners by only having one dog park? That's like saying we should have less sidewalks because the homeless are obnoxious with panhandling. Also, wouldn't having a dog park at Lake Eola actually solve the problem you stated? You would give the dogs a specific and safe place to go therefore you would have less dogs chasing swans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's some underutilized space in the park that could be fenced off for a dog park. For instance, a large portion of the north side. Maybe that new land that the Orlando Land Trust purchased could become an interim dog park until the other parcels are acquired.

Edited by WAJAS
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, KnightBay said:

There is apparently a lot of hostility towards pets in Orlando. I guess I now understand why the city is falling so far behind other urban metros when it comes to dog parks. 

Now to address your comments. 

1. No one said that EVERY park in Orlando should be a dog park. However, there should be a higher percentage of dog parks in the urban core compared to more rural areas. Hopefully the reason is obvious and I don't need to go into further detail as to why. 

2. Just walk three blocks to another park? What kind of logic is that? Why have more than 1 park in downtown for anyone then?

3. Why punish the responsible dog owners by only having one dog park? That's like saying we should have less sidewalks because the homeless are obnoxious with panhandling. Also, wouldn't having a dog park at Lake Eola actually solve the problem you stated? You would give the dogs a specific and safe place to go therefore you would have less dogs chasing swans. 

Not quite downtown, but the Greenwood Wetlands Park is an unofficial dog park (for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint). Most folks tend to let their dogs off leash there. Short drive away for folks downtown.

A little longer of a drive is the dog park at the Park of America (due east of the Executive Airport). It's a really nice dog park, with areas for big dogs and little dogs.

To you point, there are some parks the city could repurpose/optimize. Festival Park, for instance, always seems like there's an abundance of space (particularly on the western half, which doesn't get used much for events) and Al Coith Park is just one big grassy area. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

Not quite downtown, but the Greenwood Wetlands Park is an unofficial dog park (for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint). Most folks tend to let their dogs off leash there. Short drive away for folks downtown.

A little longer of a drive is the dog park at the Park of America (due east of the Executive Airport). It's a really nice dog park, with areas for big dogs and little dogs.

To you point, there are some parks the city could repurpose/optimize. Festival Park, for instance, always seems like there's an abundance of space (particularly on the western half, which doesn't get used much for events) and Al Coith Park is just one big grassy area. 

There’s also a large space at the rear of Langford Park which might be suitable (we scofflaws used to let our critters run free back there before dog parks because that section of the park was rarely used - even the park staff sent us back there unofficially back in the day).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FLClarkKent said:

Not quite downtown, but the Greenwood Wetlands Park is an unofficial dog park (for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint). Most folks tend to let their dogs off leash there. Short drive away for folks downtown.

A little longer of a drive is the dog park at the Park of America (due east of the Executive Airport). It's a really nice dog park, with areas for big dogs and little dogs.

To you point, there are some parks the city could repurpose/optimize. Festival Park, for instance, always seems like there's an abundance of space (particularly on the western half, which doesn't get used much for events) and Al Coith Park is just one big grassy area. 

In addition to those already mentioned, Skyhouse has a decent sized dogpark as does Crescent Central (I thought I recalled Paramount knocking down an adjacent building for a dog park)  Lake Druid also has a decent dog park and of course Baldwin Park has the mother of all dog parks (Which is where I take K9 codypet despite Lake Druid and Constitution Green being closer)  In fact over the weekend I talked to a young woman who drives from Oviedo on the daily to have her dog play at Baldwin.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, codypet said:

In addition to those already mentioned, Skyhouse has a decent sized dogpark as does Crescent Central (I thought I recalled Paramount knocking down an adjacent building for a dog park)  Lake Druid also has a decent dog park and of course Baldwin Park has the mother of all dog parks (Which is where I take K9 codypet despite Lake Druid and Constitution Green being closer)  In fact over the weekend I talked to a young woman who drives from Oviedo on the daily to have her dog play at Baldwin.  

They did knock down the infamous apartments at Osceola and Pine. Rumor was it would become a dog park but last time I was in town they hadn’t done anything with it yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, codypet said:

In addition to those already mentioned, Skyhouse has a decent sized dogpark as does Crescent Central (I thought I recalled Paramount knocking down an adjacent building for a dog park)  Lake Druid also has a decent dog park and of course Baldwin Park has the mother of all dog parks (Which is where I take K9 codypet despite Lake Druid and Constitution Green being closer)  In fact over the weekend I talked to a young woman who drives from Oviedo on the daily to have her dog play at Baldwin.  

That's fair, I completely forgot about the dog park behind Crescent Central but I was under the impression that it is not open to the public, just to residents. I could be wrong about that. 

I have no idea where the dog park is located at Skyhouse. I've walked by there and never noticed anything so please let me know where this one is hiding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, KnightBay said:

That's fair, I completely forgot about the dog park behind Crescent Central but I was under the impression that it is not open to the public, just to residents. I could be wrong about that. 

I have no idea where the dog park is located at Skyhouse. I've walked by there and never noticed anything so please let me know where this one is hiding. 

Skyhouse's is located on Rosalyn between AVIS parking garage and Skyhouse's parking garage.  The VUE also has one between the Metropolitan. They are private.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FLheat said:

Skyhouse's is located on Rosalyn between AVIS parking garage and Skyhouse's parking garage.  The VUE also has one between the Metropolitan. They are private.

Oh okay, thanks. I assumed they were private, so that doesn't really help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FLheat said:

Skyhouse's is located on Rosalyn between AVIS parking garage and Skyhouse's parking garage.  The VUE also has one between the Metropolitan. They are private.

Where only pampered pooches may poop!

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Where only pampered pooches need poop!

...or maybe responsible pet owners take these things in consideration before they move downtown.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FLheat said:

...or maybe responsible pet owners take these things in consideration before they move downtown.

We po’ folks downtown always did ok just using Eola Park as long as the bags held out. I did start going to Fleet Peeples (or whatever they call it now) once it opened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FLheat said:

Skyhouse's is located on Rosalyn between AVIS parking garage and Skyhouse's parking garage.  The VUE also has one between the Metropolitan. They are private.

They are technically private but IIRC nothing physically stops non-residents from entering it.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to see the proposed changes at Lake Eola. I'd always thought the  concert "shell" area needed an upgrade (without tearing down the original structure). Also..this thread seems to have morphed into a bit of "dog-walk/dog-park" discussion. FWIW....every time I bike (or walk my dogs) past Kittinger Park I see a huge missed opportunity. There is a gigantic fenced off area between the small parking lot and the "actual" park (where the playground and F4 jet are). It is a sunken "retention" area. There is a small retention pond right beside Maguire and Lake Underhill is right behind the park (which makes that whole "retention" space seem redundant). I wish the city would truck in umpteen loads of dirt and level that area off. Then they could put a normal fence around it, plant a few trees and perhaps place in a concrete pipe or two (or other agility props) and a few benches (and also a dedicated "small pups" area) and make it the Kittinger Dog Park. The parking lot could be expanded a bit but I'd still go there several times a week. Sorry to go off topic. Please feel free to move (or remove) this post if necessary. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FLheat said:

Paws in the Park  is an annual event at Lake Eola that takes over half the park with Vendors and dog activities.

 

Not every park in Orlando needs to be a dog park.  Walk three  blocks and you're at Constitution Green.  I'm tired of self absorbed long-leashed dog owners texting and blocking the sidewalks while they think it's fun to watch their dog harass the Swans (btw, third degree felony) and leave dog poo all over the place.  If you want the responsibility of a dog put some effort into it and not look for taxpayers to subsidize your convenience.  I have been a dog owner, but not that kind of dog owner.

Hooray for you!!!!!! :yahoo:

You win the internet today!!!! :hi:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Interesting to see the proposed changes at Lake Eola. I'd always thought the  concert "shell" area needed an upgrade (without tearing down the original structure). Also..this thread seems to have morphed into a bit of "dog-walk/dog-park" discussion. FWIW....every time I bike (or walk my dogs) past Kittinger Park I see a huge missed opportunity. There is a gigantic fenced off area between the small parking lot and the "actual" park (where the playground and F4 jet are). It is a sunken "retention" area. There is a small retention pond right beside Maguire and Lake Underhill is right behind the park (which makes that whole "retention" space seem redundant). I wish the city would truck in umpteen loads of dirt and level that area off. Then they could put a normal fence around it, plant a few trees and perhaps place in a concrete pipe or two (or other agility props) and a few benches (and also a dedicated "small pups" area) and make it the Kittinger Dog Park. The parking lot could be expanded a bit but I'd still go there several times a week. Sorry to go off topic. Please feel free to move (or remove) this post if necessary. Cheers.

Unfortunately CFX is using that as a stormwater pond for the 408 widening.  Would have to go to exfiltration trench to make that a park again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.