Jump to content

Lake Eola Park


orange87

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Just reported on the news today at noon....

So, good news I guess, for all those clamoring for this old building's demolition and replacement with a small patch of lawn. 

Assuming they vote yes, of course.

That building was toast, one way or another. It was to keep from losing what was going to be park space decades ago (the land owner in the ‘50’s reneged on a deal at the last minute) from being built on again with a proposed tower that motivated The Little Old Ladies in the first place. 

Given a chance to crank up the bulldozers, Buddy and his very compliant council will be butting up stumps to get this done. Let’s get those Caterpillars moving!

As to pedestrian use of that corner, more pedestrian traffic is generated because of Eola Park than has ever been generated by that Johnny-come-lately 7-Eleven. In fact, much of what activity is there is generated by the Lynx stop on Rosalind that long predates the convenience store. What’s funny is that it wasn’t long ago we were discussing the proposal to play loud classical music there (they in fact did for a while) to discourage the unsavory clientele. Funny how some of our posters all of a sudden did a complete 180 on that.

If you wanted viable pedestrian activity on Rosalind, you should have made sure the Embassy Suites across the street was required to have active use on that corner instead of blank walls. You can go back even further and require OPL in its redo to include an active use on Rosalind during the ‘80’s expansion and not to tear down the Winn-Dixie for a surface parking lot in the ‘70’s. There’s also the lack of pedestrian use along Rosalind since the day Memorial High was demolished in favor of the Robert Meyer.  (I could go on down the street to The Vue abandoning ground floor retail space to a law office, but the lack of pedestrian activity along that stretch didn’t allow much choice).

You also wouldn’t have turned Rosalind into a raceway with one-way traffic. To the city’s and Buddy’s credit, there’s a move afoot to finally fix that error.

For preservationists, the errors on Rosalind have been years in the making. This restoration of what was supposed to happen decades ago is not the hill to die on. It’s another (if inchoate) important piece of the puzzle to ensure the city’s crown jewel continues to grow and provide green space for thousands of new downtown residents.

This was one of the most successful civic engagements downtown has seen in a very long time. Citizens voted with their dollars for this outcome and the city followed along. This is a cause for celebration, not remorse.


 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That building was toast, one way or another. It was to keep from losing what was going to be park space decades ago (the land owner in the ‘50’s reneged on a deal at the last minute) from being built on again with a proposed tower that motivated The Little Old Ladies in the first place. 

Given a chance to crank up the bulldozers, Buddy and his very compliant council will be butting up stumps to get this done. Let’s get those Caterpillars moving!

As to pedestrian use of that corner, more pedestrian traffic is generated because of Eola Park than has ever been generated by that Johnny-come-lately 7-Eleven. In fact, much of what activity is there is generated by the Lynx stop on Rosalind that long predates the convenience store. What’s funny is that it wasn’t long ago we were discussing the proposal to play loud classical music there (they in fact did for a while) to discourage the unsavory clientele there. Funny how some of our posters all of a sudden did a complete 180 on that.

If you wanted viable pedestrian activity on Rosalind, you should have made sure the Embassy Suites across the street was required to have active use on that corner instead of blank walls. You can go back even further and require OPL in its redo to include an active use on Rosalind during the ‘80’s expansion and not to tear down the Winn-Dixie for a surface parking lot in the ‘70’s.

You also wouldn’t have turned Rosalind into a raceway with one-way traffic. To the city’s and Buddy’s credit, there’s a move afoot to finally fix that error.

For preservationists, the errors on Rosalind have been years in the making. This restoration of what was supposed to happen decades ago is not the hill to die on. It’s another (if inchoate) piece of the puzzle to ensure the city’s crown jewel continues to grow and provide green space for thousands of new downtown residents.

Lots of coulda, shouda, woulda in there and with no consideration of things like feasability re: the extra added expense that would have been incurred in developing the library and the ES, or how "active use" would have impacted the interior/lobby area of the hotel and altered the entire building. OTOH the ever present "Buddy's bulldozers" commentary, etc., etc., was not neglected, so there's that... :rolleyes:

As for pedestrian traffic, it remains to be seen what impact on that particular subject a little patch of grass will have, unless maybe they come up with something attractive to go in there. Maybe a gazebo with more benches. Squeeze in a footpath connection to the park, etc., whatever.

But as for the little plain front lawn/homeless  camp/public urinal/trash receptical we may soon be getting....

Rosalind-and-Central-Downtown-Orlando.th

Wow.   <_<  :yawn:  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Lots of coulda, shouda, woulda in there and with no consideration of things like feasability re: the extra added expense that would have been incurred in developing the library and the ES, or how "active use" would have impacted the interior/lobby area of the hotel and altered the entire building. OTOH the ever present "Buddy's bulldozers" commentary, etc., etc., was not neglected, so there's that... :rolleyes:

As for pedestrian traffic, it remains to be seen what impact on that particular subject a little patch of grass will have, unless maybe they come up with something attractive to go in there. Maybe a gazebo with more benches. Squeeze in a footpath connection to the park, etc., whatever.

But as for the little plain front lawn/homeless  camp/public urinal/trash receptical we may soon be getting....

Rosalind-and-Central-Downtown-Orlando.th

Wow.   <_<  :yawn:  

Like the thousands of other citizens who supported the move, I plan to revel in our success. Charge On!

As to access to the rest of the park, when Mayor Glenda first made the purchase of the parcel that today hosts the farmers’ market, it had no direct access, either. They had to find a way and they did by closing part of Washington St.,(including its connection to Osceola), expanding the lake and adding the bridge. There was a lot of moaning and grumbling at the time - today hardly anyone knows it wasn’t always that way.

The same was true when the Eola Five were demolished and the park expanded again. Once again, there was moaning and grumbling about closing off more of Washington St. For that matter, to allow alcohol at the Farmers’ Market, access is also cut off between those sections of the park during those events. Today, almost no one remembers it wasn’t always that way.

Because the money has never been there to do it all at one time, Eola Park has always grown piecemeal. Over time, they always find a way to connect the dots. I have no doubt that will be the case here. From what I’ve heard, they’re already working on a narrow sidewalk passage using an easement. Will it work? Maybe not today, but one day it will. That’s the history of Eola.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One other thing that’s important to remember: in the case of the three additions mentioned above, action was spurred on by proposals for towers on those sites.

Once a tower is built, you lose the opportunity for endless decades to add to the park. The developers have the money (except, of course, Ms. Ponte) while those of us who believe in more green space often don’t, or have to raise the money in fits and starts in conjunction with the city. It’s vital to add to the park as often as possible in whatever way we can because once the towers begin construction, you’re stuck with them a lot longer than most of us will live.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Though I'd like to have seen that building spruced up, maybe put the little round windows/portholes back on, I'm not against turning the corner into something park related.

I just don't like the idea of a patch of nothing but grass there.

Like the corner of Orange & Robinson. 

I agree with you. It’s going to take a while but my thought is they’ll fix that. If not, we can take to the streets like we did over the Eola Five. One thing’s for sure - a lot of folks are passionate about Eola. In a city where municipal elections are lucky to hit a 9% turnout, I’m grateful for that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I agree with you. It’s going to take a while but my thought is they’ll fix that. If not, we can take to the streets like we did over the Eola Five. One thing’s for sure - a lot of folks are passionate about Eola. In a city where municipal elections are lucky to hit a 9% turnout, I’m grateful for that.

I hope the city takes immediate action on that corner and doesn’t wait decades. 
A makeshift experimental space of something would be just fine but to “wait for it” will likely just create a blighted block.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


41 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Do they just need to buy the building next door to connect to the park or also the house?

The old Masonic property is only a couple feet from the lot line. Same with the addition on the Rosalind house.  So there is no option for a pathway between them. The Masonic Lodge property extends behind the old 2-story house- that is the drive entry for the lodge to the garage. In short, the house is not needed, but the lodge would have to go- or at the very least have 10 feet hacked off the back side.

If everyone is so intent on expanding the park then maybe we should just raze all 4 buildings...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Second Dickson Azalea Park, trail through there and under historic bridge is awesome. 

Leu Gardens/Mead Gardens can be cool and have plants/events in them. 

Kraft Azalea Garden in Winter Park is a smaller cool lakefront park along the chain of lakes with the historic Winter Park Hotel buildings along Alabama Drive. Cool little park. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Former Mrs. Codypet is in this neighborhood while I'm just on the otherside of Greenwood.  I bike regularly there to pick up little Codypet.   I love that neighborhood and I'll probably be leaving that hood for nothing short of retiring and leaving the state.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Former Mrs. Codypet is in this neighborhood while I'm just on the otherside of Greenwood.  I bike regularly there to pick up little Codypet.   I love that neighborhood and I'll probably be leaving that hood for nothing short of retiring and leaving the state.

Nothing imminent, I hope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.