Fairgrounds Speedway Racetrack expansion to 30,000 seats

markhollin

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

I can have zero sympathy for the folks living near the track, but still think the track should move. Times change. PSC Metals has been on their river site for a seeming eternity. Does that mean no one gets to think it should move and folks wanting it to go away are dumb?

But it’s such a historic track…the longest continuous running racetrack still in operation in America.  I doubt there’s a snowball’s chance they’d ever build one somewhere else with the Superspeedway being an option on the Wilson / Rutherford line.  To me, it would be much better if citizens looked at it as something unique to our city…and with NASCAR attempting to become more “fun and quirky” and less corporate with huge speedways…this could be a really special place on the race circuit.  If they can truly do some good sound modifications to the track…yet upgrade to put us in the big leagues…it will be a feather in the cap for the fairgrounds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

"Things are going a little too fast," Warren said. "I think the neighborhood ought have some say in it." 

'Don't we count?'

It's what a grassroots campaign, made up of residents who are calling themselves NOTE — Neighbors Opposing Track Expansion — are hoping to achieve.

"We have serious concerns about the lack of importance placed on community engagement," she said. 

Without that due diligence, Favorite questions how Cooper campaigned as a "neighborhoods mayor" who would put taxpayers ahead of development, not the other way around. 

"This will greatly impact in a negative way the lives of thousands of people," Favorite said. "Don't we count?"

RELATED:Mayor John Cooper strikes deal to bring NASCAR back to Fairgrounds Speedway

The longtime Wedgewood-Houston resident has pushed for accountability at the speedway as a member of the Fair Board's neighborhood advisory impact committee.  

The group's goal isn't to get rid of existing local racing, Favorite said. Instead, it's to ensure residential input isn't swept aside as they fear officials will zero in on what they say will be a "significant money-making operation."

The administration and Bristol have previously said public input would be incorporated as talks continue. A joint news release earlier this month outlined noise mitigation as an integral part of track improvements. But so far it is not included in the language of terms and conditions. 

NOTE and as well as fair board commissioners are calling on both parties to make a commitment to limits on the number of race events and track rentals, noise mitigation and a curfew.  There's also a push for a financial guarantee from Bristol, so the city won't be on the hook if future revenue comes up short, similar to what Cooper negotiated with Nashville SC last year. 

Priority on better deal, not timeline

Fairgrounds Executive Director Laura Womack said a draft schedule is under review to hold community input sessions and will be discussed at the April 13 board meeting. 

"This is really important to our neighbors and race fans," she told The Tennessean. 

With many steps ahead, the letter of intent is just the the start to those conversations, she said. 

A "groundwork for negotiation," is how Council member Colby Sledge described it a recent newsletter to his constituents. 

As the district's council representative, he said he's asking for community feedback. 

"That's what will drive my thoughts," Sledge said. "My priority is the impacts."

In recent messages swapped with other nearby neighborhood groups, there's been interest in a cap for high impact events at the fairgrounds as part of the agreement. 

"Let's make the Speedway look good, take care of neighborhood impacts and look at the overall number of events," he said.

Even if a deal is reached by the summer, Hartley is skeptical the site could be prepared to host such an event by next year. 

"So let's get additional time to get our ducks in a row," he said. "If you can't do a deal that makes sense dollars and cents wise without sacrificing one of Nashville's neighborhoods, then that's a deal you shouldn't make."

If having these concerns make you a dumbass, then I'm definitely a dumbass.

In all seriousness though, this group sounds extremely reasonable in their approach and requests, so it's disappointing to me that they're being totally written off here and grouped in with SOF. I'll concede that it's clear that a lot of people want this to happen, but the fact is that those pushing for this return of large-scale racing are not likely to be the same as those who will actually have their lives disrupted by the track. In other words, a whole lot of people are going to be making a huge quality of life sacrifice so that others can enjoy racing. The least that we can do is hear them out and take a very close look at this to evaluate whether the benefits actually outweigh the detriments. 

Edited by henburg
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, henburg said:

The least that we can do is hear them out and take a very close look at this to evaluate whether the benefits actually outweigh the detriments. 

to me, if I were a resident that hated the noise from the track:

Benefits: investments in noise cancellation
detriments: status quo and local racing continues with no noise cancellation

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henburg said:

If having these concerns make you a dumbass, then I'm definitely a dumbass.

In all seriousness though, this group sounds extremely reasonable in their approach and requests, so it's disappointing to me that they're being totally written off here and grouped in with SOF. I'll concede that it's clear that a lot of people want this to happen, but the fact is that those pushing for this return of large-scale racing are not likely to be the same as those who will actually have their lives disrupted by the track. In other words, a whole lot of people are going to be making a huge quality of life sacrifice so that others can enjoy racing. The least that we can do is hear them out and take a very close look at this to evaluate whether the benefits actually outweigh the detriments. 

The problem is assuming that this improvement of the track and adding a NASCAR race is going to be a lot different than what’s already been happening there for the past few decades.  Yes…residents deserve answers…but also residents should have been aware there was a racetrack nearby when they purchased and that the racetrack will probably outlive them…and that some years racing may have X number of races…and another year, racing may be 2X.  Just like the lady in the article…she’s saying she doesn’t want racing at the track.  Well…HELLO?  There’s always been racing at the track…and there probably always will be.  Making improvements there isn’t going to suddenly turn it into weekly races all year round.  It will still be seasonal…and at the most, you may have 2-3 extra weekends a year.  And…NASCAR isn’t going to bring any more significant noise than what’s already been there.  Matter of fact, maybe they’ll actually be able to improve the sound since the place really has no sound barriers to speak of.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But that’s the thing, history is ever changing. If we try to preserve everything from our past , we never move forward. Case in point , look at 2nd & Peabody. We all want to move forward and see a twin tower project to change our skyline, others want to preserve “ history “ . I grew up in Waterbury Connecticut, home of Timex , I remember the building it all started in . In 1854 as the Waterbury Clock Company in a building that is said John Hancock stayed in, its now a huge shopping mall. Time marches on, we can’t hold on to everything... or then we don’t get new and exciting things. I know you all have found memories of the track, but maybe it’s time has come. Especially like it has been said, there’s a track in Lebanon that already has a contract with NASCAR and has and will be investing millions into new infrastructure.

36 minutes ago, titanhog said:

The track’s not going away whether there is advancements or not.  Talk about it ending will not be a consideration.

With all due respect, I think your missing the point. It all comes down to the bottom line, if it becomes to costly for the investors involved and Metro to put in the necessary improvements for infrastructure and sound mitigation to work with the neighbors. Then it might not work as you hope for. It will only be profitable IF they can get NASCAR to Commit to a long term contract. And that might not even be enough. The state fair is very seriously looking to move to the Wilson County Fairgrounds, because it’s no longer feasible for them to stay in Nashville. Point is it doesn’t matter how much anyone WANTS something to work out, if it’s not profitable it just isn’t. Plus we do as good neighbors, have to listen to the concerns of those that live there. Just as we would expect that we would be giving the same respect if it was in our neighborhood. And in all honesty, that tracks future has been in limbo for a long period of time , almost to the point of failure. So in respect, some people might have moved into that area thinking it’s days were numbered.

8 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

With all due respect, I think your missing the point. It all comes down to the bottom line, if it becomes to costly for the investors involved and Metro to put in the necessary improvements for infrastructure and sound mitigation to work with the neighbors. Then it might not work as you hope for. It will only be profitable IF they can get NASCAR to Commit to a long term contract. And that might not even be enough. The state fair is very seriously looking to move to the Wilson County Fairgrounds, because it’s no longer feasible for them to stay in Nashville. Point is it doesn’t matter how much anyone WANTS something to work out, if it’s not profitable it just isn’t. Plus we do as good neighbors, have to listen to the concerns of those that live there. Just as we would expect that we would be giving the same respect if it was in our neighborhood. And in all honesty, that tracks future has been in limbo for a long period of time , almost to the point of failure. So in respect, some people might have moved into that area thinking it’s days were numbered.

Exactly. Racing has been there a long time, no one is denying that. But times change. If they can add significant noise mitigation and upgrade the track and turn a profit, then do it. I doubt this will be profitable and I wonder what the length of the commitment will be.  Plus how does this impact future mixed use development in the area? I certainly would never purchase in the area due to the track.

Edited by samsonh

19 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

With all due respect, I think YOU’RE missing the point.  The racetrack has been in existence for over 100 years (1904).  This isn’t a “if they don’t do improvements, racing will close down at the Fairgrounds”.  There are 2 options ONLY:  

1.  You can keep the track in its current state and continue to have local races every year from here on out like has been going on for 100 years with no sound mitigation.

OR

2. You allow Bristol to make improvements, including sound mitigation, and bring in NASCAR.

There is no 3rd option where racing doesn’t exist at the Fairgrounds…no matter what happens at Nashville Superspeedway.

Racing is the #1 reason the Fairgrounds exists and was never sold to a developer.

• Like 1

Did you ever think that the Fair would no longer be at the FAIRGROUNDS! Come on now , I believe your being a bit irrational. There’s always a third option , they sell the land and build something that will be profitable. It happens all the time, doesn’t matter how much you want it to be. 

13 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Did you ever think that the Fair would no longer be at the FAIRGROUNDS! Come on now , I believe your being a bit irrational. There’s always a third option , they sell the land and build something that will be profitable. It happens all the time, doesn’t matter how much you want it to be. 

Metro can’t sell the land without 27 votes. Even then, there would be tons of lawsuits.. and the land is in a flood zone, so not sure what price metro would even get. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

I’m not being irrational at all.  I’m just trying to tell you the truth of the situation.  I’ve lived here long enough to understand the local racing fans are WAY bigger of a group of crazies than those people who tried to keep MLS from happening at the Fairgrounds.  The city has tried more than once to take over the land and use it for redevelopment…and lost every time.  

There are people talking about that racetrack not existing there and racing going away…but it’s just not going to happen anytime in the near future.  Plus…you have guys like Dale Jr. fully in support of this track…and it appears NASCAR really wants to get back to racing there.

So…we can either continue to put up with just the locals and have a subpar track with no sound mitigation…or Bristol can come in and hopefully improve that.

If something changes and that track is sold and goes away…I will personally apologize to you…and I do apologize for coming at you hard…but when people start talking about the possibility of racing going away there as an option…I’m just trying to let them know that that isn’t one of the options.  Out of just about anything in this city, I feel 100% confident racing will still be at that track 10 years from now…and probably beyond (and no…I’m not really even a racing fan…never been to a race).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Metro can’t sell the land without 27 votes. Even then, there would be tons of lawsuits.. and the land is in a flood zone, so not sure what price metro would even get. 

That may be so, my point is that anything can be a possibility. Metro can keep the property and decide to build a fire station, school ...etc. even a park! Don’t take my words as being negative, I’m a race fan of over 49 years , I’m just being open minded and realistic 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I’m not being irrational at all.  I’m just trying to tell you the truth of the situation.  I’ve lived here long enough to understand the local racing fans are WAY bigger of a group of crazies than those people who tried to keep MLS from happening at the Fairgrounds.  The city has tried more than once to take over the land and use it for redevelopment…and lost every time.  

There are people talking about that racetrack not existing there and racing going away…but it’s just not going to happen anytime in the near future.  Plus…you have guys like Dale Jr. fully in support of this track…and it appears NASCAR really wants to get back to racing there.

So…we can either continue to put up with just the locals and have a subpar track with no sound mitigation…or Bristol can come in and hopefully improve that.

If something changes and that track is sold and goes away…I will personally apologize to you…and I do apologize for coming at you hard…but when people start talking about the possibility of racing going away there as an option…I’m just trying to let them know that that isn’t one of the options.  Out of just about anything in this city, I feel 100% confident racing will still be at that track 10 years from now…and probably beyond (and no…I’m not really even a racing fan…never been to a race).

Ok, I truly value your opinion.  It’s just friendly conversation, maybe once this pandemic is completely done with and the monthly meetings return to in person we can meet and I’ll buy you a cup of coffee. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

The city is obligated by the Metro Charter to continue racing at the Fairgrounds. Unless that changes by charter amendment, racing will continue at the Fairgrounds in some form. 

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

Metro is obligated by the charter to produce a “divisional fair,” so there will be a fair at the Fairgrounds. 

The current uses of the Fairgrounds are here to stay, unless a majority of voters in Davidson County vote on a charter amendment stating otherwise. Might as well make the best of it and make improvements and stabilize the scheduling. Anyone that purchases property in the area should do so understanding that those uses are explicitly protected by the Metro Charter(as ridiculous as that is, I might add). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DMilner said:

Speaking with my neighbors in Wedgewood-Houston, I think most people are put off with how this has gone down so far. The MLS stadium project had a year-year and a half process of community engagement; there has been nothing so far from the Bristol group. I think if they would meet with the community and go over 1. how many extra races/practice days will there be? 2. What will the noise difference be? Since there is no sound mitigation right now, I think this would be a big plus for the improvements to the track. 

They're not going to please everyone, evidenced by the lady who didn't know the track was there before buying (how does that happen). We're not big racing fans, but we get a bunch of people to walk over to a couple races a year and have a blast. I think in the long run, if this is done correctly, the neighbors will benefit from the improvement. I will, however, take issue with folks downplaying neighbors justifiable concerns since there has been no engagement; flame away with the neighbors that want racing gone completely since that is ridiculous. 

I think the neighbors must be made aware that there were PLENTY of behind closed doors meetings for MLS prior to it being a real thing that got brought to the community. The racetrack improvements is the exact same thing, with the exception of it got played out in the public eye more because it has detirments toward the mixed-use development and the racing, "redneck" stereotype. Now that the letter of intent is signed (because all it currently is, is intent) the community aspect can begin. Why would the SMI group hold community meetings prior to getting intent from the city? They have no obligation from the city, which means they have no obligation to the community. I probably mentioned this back on page one of the thread or possibly even in the Soccer thread, but now that there is solid intent to actually do something with the speedway (something Mayor Barry or Briley clearly didn't want to consider during the soccer discussions), the community input and community workshops can begin.

The important thing for neighbors to also remember is exactly what @titanhog and @downtownresident referenced. This is NOT a matter of bringing in a new entity – racing – this is about improving the circumstances in which a currently established entity operates. 100% that the community should be heard at meetings, but the public timeline is still going to be shorter than soccer because racing is already established. Also, SMI is not looking for 10-acres of land to profit immensely off of, they are merely focused on the racetrack. That being said, I find it very hard to believe that all improvements would be completed for next year. I would think approvals could easily be achieved later this year with construction starting the last bit of this year/early next year and the track ready to "re-launch" in 2023. 

If I was associated with the fair board/city/SMI – and wanted to be a real hard-ass – my first question for any neighbor is ask where they stood when the soccer team/stadium wanting to the come to the neighborhood and I would weigh what they said in favor/disfavor of the soccer group with regards to the racing group. If folks are in favor of one but not the other, that is where I would also toss the out the "dumbass". Whether the argument is made that engines are louder than 30,000 fans, the soccer stadium will have fireworks, PA system, concerts (which i think the racetrack wants to do too) so the noise mitigation will be paramount. The overhang of the soccer stadium will help, but definitely won't cancel it out. If NOTE is being honest with themselves, they would probably have less of a hard time if they were RAFI, Residents Against Fairgrounds Improvements and were also against the soccer stadium.

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

But times change. If they can add significant noise mitigation and upgrade the track and turn a profit, then do it. I doubt this will be profitable and I wonder what the length of the commitment will be.  Plus how does this impact future mixed use development in the area? I certainly would never purchase in the area due to the track.

Times change, but being Charter protected, racing will remain no matter how much the times change – barring a big push from city council (and a lot of political capital) and a referendum vote by the city. Quite honestly, the fact that someone is going to ask "what about the mixed-use development?" shows how poorly the two previous administrations planned for the MLS team. Because of their closed minded approach – or they were incredibly open-minded and purposefully left the speedway out in hopes of pushing it out – people are now worried about Ingrams profit margins of the 10-acre development.

• Like 3

^^And btw…most of my views on this are based on that charter and the fact the city attempted to take over the land and have it redeveloped maybe 15-20 years ago (if my memory is correct) and I think they were surprised at how vocal and well-organized the race fans were.  Those race fans make the flea market people look tame in comparison.

I’m hopeful that the first thing the city tells the residents at the upcoming meeting is that there is a 100% chance of racing still occurring long into the future…so any talk of getting rid of racing at the fairgrounds should be tabled (unless the city actually does have some idea of shutting it down…which I’m pretty certain they don’t).  This way, at least the residents can put away any emotional response about the track and get down to business on input on either keeping the track the same as it is now…or allowing improvements.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Times change, but being Charter protected, racing will remain no matter how much the times change – barring a big push from city council (and a lot of political capital) and a referendum vote by the city. Quite honestly, the fact that someone is going to ask "what about the mixed-use development?" shows how poorly the two previous administrations planned for the MLS team. Because of their closed minded approach – or they were incredibly open-minded and purposefully left the speedway out in hopes of pushing it out – people are now worried about Ingrams profit margins of the 10-acre development.

I do not care about the profit margins on the mixed use part, I care about whether its a desirable place to live and be. Wedgewood Houston is a great neighborhood, getting better everyday in fact. The racetrack detracts from it, imo. This plan seems haphazard, unlike the MLS plan, that seems to be what's driving the majority of the discontent. 

43 minutes ago, samsonh said:

I do not care about the profit margins on the mixed use part, I care about whether its a desirable place to live and be. Wedgewood Houston is a great neighborhood, getting better everyday in fact. The racetrack detracts from it, imo. This plan seems haphazard, unlike the MLS plan, that seems to be what's driving the majority of the discontent. 

And to me renting an apartment between a 30,000 soccer specific stadium and an active racetrack has never been a desirable place for me personally to live. The fact that Ingram – and Market Street – is knowing developing residential directly in-between these two venues is the real head scratcher. LIke who in their right mind goes" yup, that's a good idea" when we are talking about two of the loudest types of structures mankind can build haha. Like why?

Personally I don't see the plan as haphazard at all. SMI made a bid back when the operations contract came up and the previous administration awarded it to a known violator of the schedule and curfews and who they knew couldn't actually operate a racetrack correctly. The new administration started talking to SMI almost as soon as they took office because they understood the reality of the racetrack and actually saw potential rather than a stereotype. Now, after plenty of meetings the administration has signed a letter of intent (again, intent only) to pursue that potential at an existing facility. Not by bringing in a completely new entity, but working in partnership with an operator that has a proven track record – more than what Ingram can say with operating a soccer club – to upgrade a facility that would've been relegated to poor attendance and bad optics due to poor management. The community process can start with how the SMI's proposed noise mitigation will improve the current situation and they have expressed interest in working with community members to ensure they are a good neighbor.  This September – which is when I would think construction could realistically start – would mark two years since the racetrack plan started. The community aspect can start and take 6 months and permits can realistically be pulled later this year.

What was haphazard is how the soccer stadium plan went through without bringing the racetrack into the discussion. The previous administration should've made it a point for Ingram to solicit a group like SMI to be a partner in the whole project and improve the racetrack back when the initial project was all proposed.

The soccer deal was also way more complicated 1) because it was so much more expensive in terms of up-front land 2) city land was being long-term leased to a private entity for profit profit 3) infrastructure concerns 4) lawsuits about changing the use of the fairgrounds. The racetrack has a $50 million bond price tag which is by no means cheap, but the deal does not include the city spending 50 to 75 million to relocate the flea market structures. The racetrack will also have the infrastructure concern of parking, but that has been known as the soccer stadium never really solved that issue. Lastly, because the racetrack is a pre-existing entity, none of the change of use discussions are really valid because all they are doing is making improvements to the existing entity.

What about a racetrack detracts from a neighborhood that a 30,000 stadium doesnt? We are all applauding the potential redevelopment around Nissan Stadium, but when we overlay the stadium with the racetrack they are approximately the same size and the capacity of Nissan is more than double the soccer stadium and is four times the current capacity of the racetrack (probably 2x once the expansion is ultimately completed).

So in my opinion it isn't the racetrack that takes away from the neighborhood, it's the fact that the racetrack is just the wrong type of sporting venue for a gentrifying population within the neighborhood.

image.png.2bc68a29c2ed3487dd9258cf1fefd30b.png

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 1

^^As you say, the racetrack should have been fully part of the plan WITH the MLS stadium.  NASCAR is still a major sport…and Nashville is FULL of race fans.  They’ve already sold out the race for June 20 at the Superspeedway and are adding more seats.  Why would we not want to take advantage of this opportunity?  Racing isn’t stopping growth from blowing up in Wedgewood / Houston.  Yes…there will be people who don’t want to live near a racetrack…but there will be others who don’t mind and understand that the fairgrounds and all it has adds to the neighborhood and makes it special.

I love downtown…but there’s lots of reasons I don’t want to live there.  However…I’m excited for those who DO want to live there and I’m so glad they have that option.

Instead of seeing this 100 year old track as “bad for the neighborhood”…how about look at it as a super-special attraction that Nashville has a NASCAR level racetrack so close to downtown?  You don’t have to love racing to appreciate the opportunity.

Here’s what Darrell Waltrip has to say:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nascar/2021/03/23/nascar-nashville-superspeedway-cup-race-fairgrounds-darrell-waltrip/4777272001/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...