Fairgrounds Speedway Racetrack expansion to 30,000 seats

markhollin

22 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Autoweek article on the meeting regarding the speedway. Seems like Jerry Caldwell is releasing information and answering questions. Also seems like board member Jason Bergeron is finding every avenue to squash it. 

A couple key points:

• The deal is only for 10 years (unlike the 30 years Soccer has), but can be extended up to 30 years via four 5-year extensions.
  • SMI would honor the 10 race weekend limit set out by the Charter (already known). only ONE weekend would be a Nascar race weekend (I presume one date will move away from Bristol as they have had their share of issues in recent seasons). The other 9 would remain local and regional races including the All American 400. So only one weekend of the 140 dB and the rest of the weekends to oblige to the muffler rules.
  • 20 midweek test session throughout the year including at least one for Goodyear tire test (this in my opinion is the most important test). Personal note; most "test" sessions are not a full field of cars, so the noise level is very reduced. Test sessions are not practice sessions that occur on race weekend.
  • No detailed parking plan – what a shock! This has been a concern throughout the soccer stadium as well. 
  • $15.50 per hour wages for event and regular staff
  • As rendering that Mark shared above they would relocate the infield tunnel to turn 3. This allows for the park along Craighead to be continuous. 
  • The rendering above does show sound mitigation walls going from turns 2, down the backstretch and through turn 3. They are currently rendered as 20'-0" high, concrete walls. This height may vary around the track though. 
  • The "organizational building" in turn 4 I would believe have the infield car in it along certain race day admin offices. Personal note; I presume that additional structures, like garage bays, will need to be built. Also possibly a fueling facility. I also dont really believe the entrance to pit road is all that feasible. Dropping off a banking like that into a very sharp left-right movement is bad news for race cars.
  • SMI intends to promote two concert series events to help with less track days than ideal.
  • Jason Bergeron had to be cut off by the Fair Board due to constant questioning (that the article claims borderline berating). Bergeron voted to delay things by a month and was voted down.
  • A public commenter claimed we have 5 venues within 30 minutes that host Nascar and Formula 1. This was obviously a soundbite line, but goes to show that there are people that dont understand things fully. We obviously don't have Formula 1, but we also only have one venue that can host any of the top 3 series in Nascar.

The next meeting - scheduled for June 8th - is expected to have a formal plan presented. A formal resolution is expected to be presented and voted on during the July 12th meeting. 

That Weaver writer seems like just a wee bit of a racing cheerleader.  For example,  i don’t see anywhere in the Charter that says anything about 10 races.   Seems like the guy has some facts wrong.

It didn’t sound like any of the Fair Board members were very comfortable with the time lines,  even the ones that didn’t vote to officially extend the timing.

Lastly,  it seems like the Fair Board should be asking a lot more questions than they did,  since the Bristol people can’t even say things like how much the project costs. That doesn’t sound ready to vote on yet.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

It’s just people advocating for their neighborhood. 

Their entire point is too extract as much as possible from developers wanting to build in their neighborhood. The neighborhood is probably at its highest point of desirability it has ever been. Let them get developers for all they can!

In my opinion, at least the people who are speaking up have valid concerns, compared to the Save Our Fairgrounds people who never had a coherent message other than “change bad”.

Addition:

Just to be clear also, I think if the track is given the same deal as the stadium it should absolutely go forward.

The issue I have is how many people are misinformed…who act as if they were there before the track…which isn’t the truth.  Some act as if there’s going to be some huge cataclysmic change to their neighborhood because of one NASCAR race a year.  The biggest change is going to be the soccer stadium and MLS games.  That’s really just about the only thing residents in that neighborhood have to legitimately gripe about…but that ship has sailed.  If this is all about “getting as much as you can from the developers”…well…boo.

The real gentrification of the neighborhood is people buying up land and improving it with better, bigger homes and businesses.  If someone want to gripe about gentrification, that’s it.  However…that’s really just a part of a growing city.  In other words…people will complain about something…but maybe they should point their fingers at themselves instead of a 100 year old race track.

• Like 4

Stand Up Nashville should be involved, because clearly nobody within the city's organization advocates for residents, especially low income residents. That being said, if the Bristol group aligns with the MLS Community Benefits Agreement (which I think most people in favor of the track renovation on this board are) then there should be no issues from the group. I think Bristol is spot on saying that they need to go get the views/opinions of more than just folks within a 1/2 mile of the racetrack. Gentrification for sure is a concern due to the comfort levels of the residents, but if they have been living in the area for 10/20/30+ years already, there is nothing that will change their comfort level because things are only going to improve with the renovations and the changes around the track.

I keep coming back to the notion of asking the resident if they were in favor of the MLS team and the 10-acre Land Lease to the MLS ownership group then ask them about their opinion on the racetrack improvement. If they are for the first and against the second (and vice versa) then their opinion is clearly un-informed. And the folks that got sold a bid of goods by their realtor with the expectation of the track closing is an unfortunate loss for them.

The neighborhood has gotten to "its highest point of desirability" with a racetrack that is in shambles and not following the rules. So I ask how would improving such a facility to top tier status alongside a new state-of-the-art facility hurt the level of desirability? I do agree that Stand Up Nashville has the appearance of working in lockstep with NOTE to oppose the track renovation. 

• Like 2

And by no means do I think residents of the area shouldn’t have a voice.  It’s just that this was announced in Dec 2020…and there’s been a lot of time to voice an opinion.  Plus…Bristol has already agreed to many things that should make the residents at least “happier.”  My only issue is how misinformed many residents seem to be.  It saddens me to see people use misinformation, for anything, to attempt to reach some end goal.  At least be honest and forthright in your pursuit of knowledge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

And by no means do I think residents of the area shouldn’t have a voice.  It’s just that this was announced in Dec 2020…and there’s been a lot of time to voice an opinion.  Plus…Bristol has already agreed to many things that should make the residents at least “happier.”  My only issue is how misinformed many residents seem to be.  It saddens me to see people use misinformation, for anything, to attempt to reach some end goal.  At least be honest and forthright in your pursuit of knowledge.

I think residents of that area have been voicing opposition for years. That part isn’t new by any means. I would buy in that area next year but I will not because of this. I will instead be buying in the nations area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

I think residents of that area have been voicing opposition for years. That part isn’t new by any means. I would buy in that area next year but I will not because of this. I will instead be buying in the nations area. 

Because of the track, MLS or the residents of that area?  To me, the people who move near a racetrack and then complain about living near a racetrack are crazy, unless the track does something terribly out of the norm…like doubles their race schedule or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Because of the track, MLS or the residents of that area?  To me, the people who move near a racetrack and then complain about living near a racetrack are crazy, unless the track does something terribly out of the norm…like doubles their race schedule or something.

The racetrack is a huge deterrent. I will buy mls season tickets. I love the area except the track. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, samsonh said:

The racetrack is a huge deterrent. I will buy mls season tickets. I love the area except the track. 

Yeah…I wouldn’t want to live near it either.  But…I did move not far from the stupid landfill in Rutherford County (in M’boro)…and some nights, it smells like a thousand dead dogs are walking past my house. But…no use in me complaining since it was here first.  Only thing I can do is hold me nose…or move. :tw_mask:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah…I wouldn’t want to live near it either.  But…I did move not far from the stupid landfill in Rutherford County (in M’boro)…and some nights, it smells like a thousand dead dogs are walking past my house. But…no use in me complaining since it was here first.  Only thing I can do is hold me nose…or move. :tw_mask:

Is that the one near the soccer complex?  Every once in a while we will get a whiff of Mount Trashmore.  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

Is that the one near the soccer complex?  Every once in a while we will get a whiff of Mount Trashmore.  :)

Yes.  It’s rumored that it’s coming to an end…but they’re now trying to talk the city / county / state into buying more land next door and keep it going (since it’s basically full now).  Hopefully…they’ll be held to their “deadline” to close it down and find a new site…hopefully further out in rural land somewhere.  This entire area will be somewhat “urban” before too long…so no use having a HUGE landfill still going in the middle of that.

• Like 1

News flash to the Stand Up Nashville folks who think that renovating a 100-year-old racetrack is going to bring massive change and development to the neighborhood: You lost that battle as soon as the MLS stadium began construction. Change, development, and traffic is already coming, so one NASCAR race per year is going to be the least of your worries.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

News flash to the Stand Up Nashville folks who think that renovating a 100-year-old racetrack is going to bring massive change and development to the neighborhood: You lost that battle as soon as the MLS stadium began construction. Change, development, and traffic is already coming, so one NASCAR race per year is going to be the least of your worries.

Change, development, traffic is the natural progression of development and people just don't like that. SUN doesn't appear to be against that.The input I got last night from Stand Up Nashville actually isn't opposing the renovation to the track (that would be NOTE), but rather they want the standard level of community input to be higher throughout the city. Because SMI hasn't presented anything official with regards to the CBA or contract wise (which even SMI acknowledged needs more time) they are speculating on stuff. I think they are a bit naive in thinking that outreach on development will reach every single door. They did the door-to-door push around the track and I think what it proved more than anything are people will always have an opinion even if they aren't informed about it and SUN will use that as community input.

I like the intent and mission of SUN, but the people factor of community input is the hard part.