Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute

opivys85

Really cool design.  I also like that they are building more west to the rail station and the future bike/walk path. 

They have a website with a video and live construction cameras: 

https://app.truelook.com/?u=so1607523092#tl_live

https://app.truelook.com/?u=so1607522929#tl_live

https://app.truelook.com/?u=so1607522243#tl_live

• Like 1

2 hours ago, opivys85 said:

Construction recently started on the new Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute. 

The Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute, set to open in 2023, will be a 195,000-square-foot inpatient facility at the corner of Lucerne Terrace and Columbia Street in downtown Orlando.

ortho_specialty_hospital.jpg

IMG_4948.jpeg

That is a good looking building. 

This is the never ending rivalry between the two hospital systems.  Advent health has a better PR department because I always see advertisements on the news about cutting edge procedures that just started getting offered in Orlando at Advent Health when in reality they were offered at Orlando Health for a few years already. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shardoon said:

This is the never ending rivalry between the two hospital systems.  Advent health has a better PR department because I always see advertisements on the news about cutting edge procedures that just started getting offered in Orlando at Advent Health when in reality they were offered at Orlando Health for a few years already. 

Advent has much deeper pockets as part of a much larger system so I’m often amazed OH is able to keep up as well as they do.

• Like 1

I work in both systems. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Advent Health definitely spends wayyyy more on PR. Doesn’t necessarily equate to better care, though. Orlando Health, as the only level 1 trauma center in central Florida, tends to service a different part of the population. The rivalry is a boon to the greater Orlando area as they both compete to provide ever higher quality care to the population IMO.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I don’t know how to feel about this .

Looks nice though

On 2/13/2021 at 11:01 PM, WAJAS said:

I like it. More workers in SODO => more supporting business => more residences => higher city revenues => better services*

*This is extremely simplified.

Yeah, I'm torn on this too.  The health system expanding is great for all the things @WAJAS said.  My concern a little bit is that as they continue to expand on the west side of Orange (this project, whatever is going to happen at the Orlando Brewing site), we're going to have a 4/5ths of a mile of "dead" zone from an urban activation philosophy.  Which wouldn't be awful if the east side would be built up.  But look at what's happening on that side.  The Mama B's into Foxtail.  The plaza where OTF/Smoothie King was built.  Good additions, but has no scale or density.  If the entire west side is going to be ORMC and related uses, the entire east side needs to be AT LEAST 2-3 stories with lofts above the retail if not entire complexes.  I run this route and walk downtown often the 2 miles from Wadeview.  It's pretty boring and miserable.  You have people that want to spend a Saturday going to and hopping around Ivanhoe or Mills or now Hourglass.  No one says that about SoDo.  We're perilously close to becoming a suburban environment less than 2 miles from downtown.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Yeah, I'm torn on this too.  The health system expanding is great for all the things @WAJAS said.  My concern a little bit is that as they continue to expand on the west side of Orange (this project, whatever is going to happen at the Orlando Brewing site), we're going to have a 4/5ths of a mile of "dead" zone from an urban activation philosophy.  Which wouldn't be awful if the east side would be built up.  But look at what's happening on that side.  The Mama B's into Foxtail.  The plaza where OTF/Smoothie King was built.  Good additions, but has no scale or density.  If the entire west side is going to be ORMC and related uses, the entire east side needs to be AT LEAST 2-3 stories with lofts above the retail if not entire complexes.  I run this route and walk downtown often the 2 miles from Wadeview.  It's pretty boring and miserable.  You have people that want to spend a Saturday going to and hopping around Ivanhoe or Mills or now Hourglass.  No one says that about SoDo.  We're perilously close to becoming a suburban environment less than 2 miles from downtown.

I agree the east side of Orange looks underutilized, but I think the main reason is the depth of those street facing lots. Many of the lots are only 100 feet deep. In order to get additional square footage on the build, the developer would need to buy additional lots. Most of the lots backing up to the commercial lots are residential. So you end up having to do like Chipotle and buy the lot next door just to add parking.

But more importantly your point about SoDo being more like a suburban environment is dead on. SoDo is, by far, the most unwalkable district, but even if it was walkable who wants to walk to the crappy chains that line Orange. OTOH, Mills 50, WCF and to a lesser extent Milk and Ivanhoe are full of local establishments that locals flock to. I live SoDo adjacent and don't eat here (except occasional Bao's, Aardvark, pop ups, or if I'm forced to Delaney).

But much of the SoDo issue, I believe,  is related to the people that live in the adjacent neighborhoods (older crowd) and the fact it is the most commercially viable of all the districts (save CBD).  I don't see Orange Ave changing (despite all the roadwork they are doing), but I do think the plan to develop along Grant and Division could payoff- albeit many years from now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Things coming along construction-wise. Orlando Health also planning to clear multiple lots on their property in preparation for future growth. Going to be interesting to see how this city block looks 5 years from now. In the meantime, the new Foxtail is open and looks great!

65B551B8-CE86-496F-8EEF-70C1E0AA9685_1_105_c.jpeg

A57ED5BB-5F73-4537-9FE7-CE09C4C552E8_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, opivys85 said:

Construction recently started on the new Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute. 

The Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute, set to open in 2023, will be a 195,000-square-foot inpatient facility at the corner of Lucerne Terrace and Columbia Street in downtown Orlando.

ortho_specialty_hospital.jpg

IMG_4948.jpeg

Great looking design!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...