Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute

opivys85

This is like Tyson vs Bowe; Coke vs Pepsi; Disney vs Universal.  McD's vs BK.

It's awesome.

If it was just one hospital system here with no real competition, we might not see this type of development at all in  the core.

And this is really good, because it goes back to a post by ChiDev on that Lakehouse thread about the faster infill happens the sooner Orlando matures to the point of higher density more desire-able projects.

On 6/2/2021 at 1:30 PM, nite owℓ said:

Will the orthopedic center be connected to any buildings via skywalk other than the parking garage? The inter-building connectivity at OH sucks.

No, but honestly I don't think it would make much sense to connect it to the others given the planned use of the building. There is good connectivity between the patient towers. Would be nice to have connection from the main hospital to Winnie/Arnold Palmer (which are connected to each other).

18 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Here is a rendering from the website alongside the current view -- looks like the expansion will better integrate the Ambulatory Care Center into the main hospital building.

OHDHIExteriorRendering5282021.jpg.9d7b17a15758c217aca2a36f98be843f.jpg 1442343574_OHbefore.thumb.PNG.e41caca0a871176235ea31ab35aeee4a.PNG

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 6:36 PM, opivys85 said:

No, but honestly I don't think it would make much sense to connect it to the others given the planned use of the building. There is good connectivity between the patient towers. Would be nice to have connection from the main hospital to Winnie/Arnold Palmer (which are connected to each other).

Yeah, but there will always be personnel who must travel between buildings for patient care, various reasons, ancillary staff, etc. I'm assuming they will have ICU beds under the same roof in the orthopedic building for any potential complications after surgery, otherwise I guess they'd have to use an ambulance to transfer the patient to the main building. I think Advent's orthopedic building is not in close proximity to any of the main buildings so I can understand why that probably won't be connected. But there's no excuse for OH to continue to build standalone buildings on its main campus or not integrate the other buildings IMO. That kind of design might work well for an outlet mall, but it's inconvenient for a hospital.

I used to work there many years ago and I sometimes had to travel between buildings for my role. I heard MD Anderson finally connected to the main building, but it wasn't always like that... Plus the cafeteria at ORMC sucked so we would all walk over to WPH for lunch lol.  Walking outside means you have to deal with getting soaked when it rains horizontally, getting sweaty when it's super hot, getting blown around when it's super windy... it's not feasible to carry umbrellas, laptops, belongings, or wait for shuttles to go from Lucerne (before it was demolished) to the main building, and the covered walkways were not enough. Then take into account patients, visitors, people with mobility issues etc. who park in the wrong garage or have to go between buildings for whatever reason. Never had that kind of connectivity issue while at Advent Health... it was a bit of a maze, yes, but at least everything was protected from the elements under air conditioning.

Edited by nite owℓ

18 hours ago, smileguy said:

Here is a rendering from the website alongside the current view -- looks like the expansion will better integrate the Ambulatory Care Center into the main hospital building.

OHDHIExteriorRendering5282021.jpg.9d7b17a15758c217aca2a36f98be843f.jpg 1442343574_OHbefore.thumb.PNG.e41caca0a871176235ea31ab35aeee4a.PNG

This is the new Orlando Health Digestive Health Institute. They recently hired 4 out of the 5 advanced endoscopists away from Advent Health and will be  starting the institute at the end of 2021/early 2022. They have already put up fencing around the planned extension.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Yeah, but there will always be personnel who must travel between buildings for patient care, various reasons, ancillary staff, etc. I'm assuming they will have ICU beds under the same roof in the orthopedic building for any potential complications after surgery, otherwise I guess they'd have to use an ambulance to transfer the patient to the main building. I think Advent's orthopedic building is not in close proximity to any of the main buildings so I can understand why that probably won't be connected. But there's no excuse for OH to continue to build standalone buildings on its main campus or not integrate the other buildings IMO. That kind of design might work well for an outlet mall, but it's inconvenient for a hospital.

I used to work there many years ago and I sometimes had to travel between buildings for my role. I heard MD Anderson finally connected to the main building, but it wasn't always like that... Plus the cafeteria at ORMC sucked so we would all walk over to WPH for lunch lol.  Walking outside means you have to deal with getting soaked when it rains horizontally, getting sweaty when it's super hot, getting blown around when it's super windy... it's not feasible to carry umbrellas, laptops, belongings, or wait for shuttles to go from Lucerne (before it was demolished) to the main building, and the covered walkways were not enough. Then take into account patients, visitors, people with mobility issues etc. who park in the wrong garage or have to go between buildings for whatever reason. Never had that kind of connectivity issue while at Advent Health... it was a bit of a maze, yes, but at least everything was protected from the elements under air conditioning.

Agree the WPH cafeteria is the best! However the ORMC one is pretty good too these days. The original hospital, cancer center tower, and newer north tower are all connected quite well. Right now the ACC is inconvenient to get to but it looks like they are fixing that with the upgrade to the Digestive Health institute.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

The ORMC Expansion and the Children's Pavilion are the only two major projects I know of right now.  

(also sitework projects connecting Pulse to Lake Beauty and the south OUT plans) 

Is there another one? 

Do you have a link for these projects?

• Like 1