Orlando Sentinel Property Redevelopment (PLANNED)

jliv

12 minutes ago, elefants said:

Lots of new signage up looking for office tenants at the Sentinel building.  Loopnet listing up as well.  Wonder how long they plan to keep the Northern Block standing. 

I'd be happy seeing it all go away. But in the mean time, I have a few ideas for adaptive reuse of the space & it should definitely be mixed-use to promote round-the-clock usage & various demographics:

1) Food Hall

2) Food Truck Park

3) Affordable conference hall/meeting room rentals

4) Affordable artist alley/studios/stalls similar to the former Artegon Marketplace (https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/after-the-dramatic-shutdown-of-orlandos-artegon-anti-mall-the-artists-and-vendors-wonder-how-it-all-went-wrong/Content?oid=2692097)

5) Some sort of small exercise or sporting component, yoga studio, climbing wall or indoor skate park (hey, why not lol)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

29 minutes ago, codypet said:

Is it me or is that kind of a fitting end for that clock.  I know the Historic Orlando people are in a tizzy over this (wondering why it wasn't already moved into the History Center Park), but a neglected clock sitting on the side of the road in front of an abandoned building that it once adorned gets destroyed by someone who has more money than sense.  I feel like its pretty metaphoric for the Sentinel itself.

Well, it’s had a very long run, first at the Sentinel and before that at Jacobs Jewelers further south on Orange. This is much worse than any previous dings I recall.

Of course, there is precedent. The Confederate soldier was originally in the middle of Main St (Magnolia) by the old 1895 courthouse but kept getting hit, so it got moved to Eola Park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Is it me or is that kind of a fitting end for that clock.  I know the Historic Orlando people are in a tizzy over this (wondering why it wasn't already moved into the History Center Park), but a neglected clock sitting on the side of the road in front of an abandoned building that it once adorned gets destroyed by someone who has more money than sense.  I feel like its pretty metaphoric for the Sentinel itself.

Its an ugly and relatively tiny clock. I see no reason to be up in arms over its loss.

8 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

History and nostalgia.

As for it being "ugly", that is subjective. 

It was once said Walt built Disneyland so Americans could visit all the things they had just spent a decade tearing down while “Eisenhowering” the country.

Apparently, we’re not happy until everything looks like Maitland Center.

Edited by spenser1058

Apparently the driver was trying to read the time on the clock and got blinded by the sun glared off the glass of the clock, causing the driver to crash into it. This is causing city leaders to consider adding a visor on the top of the clock to shade it from glare so they can rebuild the clock to modern Orlando safety standards.

Edited by orange87
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Apparently the driver was trying to read the time on the clock and got blinded by the sun glared off the glass of the clock, causing the driver to crash into it. This is causing city leaders to consider adding a visor on the top of the clock to shade it from glare so they can rebuild the clock to modern Orlando safety standards.

Hahahaha that's great, thank god for visors!!

• Haha 2

I wish the owners of the Sentinel property would start opening it up to Master Plan developers.  With the right mix of uses I could easily see 1k new apts, 1k new condos, 350k sf office, 750 new hotel units, and 300-400k sf retail.  Could do some really interesting stuff, like a site covering podium drive over concept. 

Hoping they get moving soon.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ChiDev said:

I wish the owners of the Sentinel property would start opening it up to Master Plan developers.  With the right mix of uses I could easily see 1k new apts, 1k new condos, 350k sf office, 750 new hotel units, and 300-400k sf retail.  Could do some really interesting stuff, like a site covering podium drive over concept. 

Hoping they get moving soonsux

Such prime land.. opportunity to do a mini creative village over there but taller and better

1 hour ago, ChiDev said:

Hoping they get moving soon.

Agreed! Downtown desperately needs more condos.  A desirable regional shopping/entertainment destination would be great. Kinda like a Brickell city center vibe. Or even a small themed district would be cool too, like a brewery district. I just hope to see something architecturally interesting built it the core. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiDev said:

Creative Village, while nice, really didn't do all that much.... Creative.

This was me messing around with a 2 story podium across the whole site (to contain all the parking) while having a drive over public access podium.

SketchUp_gerhqU8Fss.thumb.png.579bc2b6ab5245d15f01ca40a269bf9f.pnggoogleearth_ZT4Mkt2mtN.thumb.jpg.9f52f536d803540233ad58eb60676926.jpg

Sentinel fudgearound.kmz 353.26 kB · 1 download

There is nothing creative about the creative village. Nothing. It's a nice suburban style park in the core. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, ChiDev said:

Great file name. Are you taking requests? I'm wondering if your drive up podium could actually be a pedestrianized promenade that extends over colonial. Lined with cafes and restaurants, string lights, bright green astroturf and all the modern trends. 

• Like 1

In high school world history class, we learned the Holy Roman Empire wasn’t Holy, wasn’t Roman and wasn’t an Empire.

I always think of that when I see the Creative Village, which is neither Creative nor a Village except in some fevered corporate mind (perhaps a descendant of Charlemagne?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

Great file name. Are you taking requests? I'm wondering if your drive up podium could actually be a pedestrianized promenade that extends over colonial. Lined with cafes and restaurants, string lights, bright green astroturf and all the modern trends. 

Not sure if this post is tongue-in-cheek and poking fun at popular concepts nowadays but that sounds incredible!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Not sure if this post is tongue-in-cheek and poking fun at popular concepts nowadays but that sounds incredible!

More sincere but wishful thinking! This site is screaming for some kind of pedestrian/green space.  (Dare we turn the whole thing into a park?)

11 hours ago, Urbo said:

Agreed! Downtown desperately needs more condos.  A desirable regional shopping/entertainment destination would be great. Kinda like a Brickell city center vibe. Or even a small themed district would be cool too, like a brewery district. I just hope to see something architecturally interesting built it the core. 

I totally agree.  Also, the Brickell project has mostly underground parking even with a high water table.  The water table at the Sentinel site is pretty low and would allow for at least one level of actual below ground parking, I believe.

• Like 2