Orlando Sentinel Property Redevelopment (PLANNED)

jliv

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In high school world history class, we learned the Holy Roman Empire wasn’t Holy, wasn’t Roman and wasn’t an Empire.

I always think of that when I see the Creative Village, which is neither Creative nor a Village except in some fevered corporate mind (perhaps a descendant of Charlemagne?)

Well EPCOT is neither experimental, nor is it a prototype community of tomorrow, so I guess we see how such things have a tendency to go around here. :dontknow:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well EPCOT is neither experimental, nor is it a prototype community of tomorrow, so I guess we see how such things have a tendency to go around here. :dontknow:

Of course, it had other meanings for some of us…

EPCOT = Every Person Comes Out Tired;

OR

EPCOT = Experimental Polyester Costumes of Torture…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Great file name. Are you taking requests? I'm wondering if your drive up podium could actually be a pedestrianized promenade that extends over colonial. Lined with cafes and restaurants, string lights, bright green astroturf and all the modern trends. 

that is part of the idea, those black drive isles are each 78' wide, leaving enough for a 65' boulevard street with side parking (temp/handicap) and a nice sized sidewalk on each side.  keeps you from getting curtain walled at street level by massive podiums for each independent structure.  This was literally me messing around for 8 minutes, but yeah you could absolutely front the promenades with retail/park space, and probably would be wise to do so.

Its a fun dream, and I haven't gotten to play around with a site this size for awhile.  Would love to take the time to firm up this design and write the proforma but I am busy with other projects.  As soon as I get a whiff that sentinel might trade I will certainly come back to it.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 3:36 PM, spenser1058 said:

Of course, it had other meanings for some of us…

EPCOT = Every Person Comes Out Tired;

OR

EPCOT = Experimental Polyester Costumes of Torture…

There were other things I heard EPCOT being called, which I won't repeat on this family-friendly forum.  But I heard plenty of ribald tales from cast members over the years about hook-ups happening with guests, to make the Southern Baptists start squealing in tongues! 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, codypet said:

Probably similar to Mama B's when the hotel was built.  The Sentinel property was probably assembled back when that was still a gas station.  Reading through the Sentinel's history it sounds like it was a bunch of storage buildings and warehouses back in the 30's and 40's.

The Sentinel property included a number of gas stations and car dealerships along Colonial Drive. Also there were a number of stores at one point along the north side of the newsroom building. One of the most well known was Streep’s, a music store.

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

...because FTL and Broward are way bigger than Orlando and Orange...

It’s more than that. They are significantly more land restricted than Central Florida and their economies are more diverse. Construction is the second largest economy driver after tourism in Orlando and that endless sprawl has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tc01 said:

Why we can't see this type of development...... 😓 

Lack of land available land resorting to large redevelopment projects, high population density, more urbanized environment. All of this has created a critical mass for quite a long time now in a place like Broward, which is close to 2 million people alone. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alleri459 said:

Lack of land available land resorting to large redevelopment projects, high population density, more urbanized environment. All of this has created a critical mass for quite a long time now in a place like Broward, which is close to 2 million people alone. 

Also, a large property developer (Hines) who can get projects of this scale funded, because of their track record.  The current owner of the Sentinel property is not a developer in Orlando; he basically buys valuable plots and subdivides it piecemeal to other developers to build.  (See Midtown Miami and Society/Central Station).  So you won’t see a massive project like that, and I’m not sure there are other plots of that size in the central core to do something like that.

It reminds me of Water Street in Tampa, another project built by well-capitalized developers.

Edited by jliv
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 1:48 PM, dcluley98 said:

Hines is based out of Texas and has major projects nationally and world-wide, including developments in Central Florida and one currently being planned for Downtown Orlando. 

is there any details on the one for Orlando yet?

For those of you who aren’t familiar with FAT Village, the development shown above replaces blocks of old warehouses that once were home to creatives. Similar to Wynwood, the creatives moved into cheaper, former industrial areas and made them popular. Then the developers moved in, bought the property and are developing high rise apartments after pushing out the creatives. This particular project was supposed to retain some of those warehouse spaces until the City of Fort Lauderdale required them to bring the whole site up by several inches to meet current floodplain requirements.

Pivoting back to Orlando, the current site is an abandoned building surrounded by apartments, a courthouse, and a few low rise offices. There isn’t an existing sense of community that would lure developers like the FAT Village example. It’s a shame because we all see the potential.

The Hines development plan I saw is not on the scale of the FAT Village megablock. It is a standard Orlando development of a large mid-rise mixed use apartment complex. It is not the Sentinel Property, but closer to Lake Eola and the DTO core.  Renderings I saw looked a lot like half of a S+ED or CSPII. That said, my point was large-scale national developers with deep pockets ARE looking at DTO. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

The Hines development plan I saw is not on the scale of the FAT Village megablock. It is a standard Orlando development of a large mid-rise mixed use apartment complex. It is not the Sentinel Property, but closer to Lake Eola and the DTO core.  Renderings I saw looked a lot like half of a S+ED or CSPII. That said, my point was large-scale national developers with deep pockets ARE looking at DTO. 

Riiiight

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

1) what height/# of floors, do you consider "mid-rise" w/regards to this project?

2) what does S+ED stand for?