Orlando Sentinel Property Redevelopment (PLANNED)

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In high school world history class, we learned the Holy Roman Empire wasn’t Holy, wasn’t Roman and wasn’t an Empire.

I always think of that when I see the Creative Village, which is neither Creative nor a Village except in some fevered corporate mind (perhaps a descendant of Charlemagne?)

Well EPCOT is neither experimental, nor is it a prototype community of tomorrow, so I guess we see how such things have a tendency to go around here. :dontknow:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If this gets even one tower that's at least 20 stories I'll be happy.

Creative Village, while nice, really didn't do all that much.... Creative. This was me messing around with a 2 story podium across the whole site (to contain all the parking) while having a drive

I'm sure that clock was originally designed much bigger and ornately before it got Orlandoh'd.  

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well EPCOT is neither experimental, nor is it a prototype community of tomorrow, so I guess we see how such things have a tendency to go around here. :dontknow:

Of course, it had other meanings for some of us…

EPCOT = Every Person Comes Out Tired;

OR

EPCOT = Experimental Polyester Costumes of Torture…

• Haha 3
18 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Great file name. Are you taking requests? I'm wondering if your drive up podium could actually be a pedestrianized promenade that extends over colonial. Lined with cafes and restaurants, string lights, bright green astroturf and all the modern trends. 

that is part of the idea, those black drive isles are each 78' wide, leaving enough for a 65' boulevard street with side parking (temp/handicap) and a nice sized sidewalk on each side.  keeps you from getting curtain walled at street level by massive podiums for each independent structure.  This was literally me messing around for 8 minutes, but yeah you could absolutely front the promenades with retail/park space, and probably would be wise to do so.

Its a fun dream, and I haven't gotten to play around with a site this size for awhile.  Would love to take the time to firm up this design and write the proforma but I am busy with other projects.  As soon as I get a whiff that sentinel might trade I will certainly come back to it.

• Like 2
On 8/19/2021 at 3:36 PM, spenser1058 said:

Of course, it had other meanings for some of us…

EPCOT = Every Person Comes Out Tired;

OR

EPCOT = Experimental Polyester Costumes of Torture…

There were other things I heard EPCOT being called, which I won't repeat on this family-friendly forum.  But I heard plenty of ribald tales from cast members over the years about hook-ups happening with guests, to make the Southern Baptists start squealing in tongues! 

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Does the property include the gyro shop on the corner of 50 and Orange?

No, the deli family still owns in. I asked a while back and they said they've been approached about selling. 

Probably similar to Mama B's when the hotel was built.  The Sentinel property was probably assembled back when that was still a gas station.  Reading through the Sentinel's history it sounds like it was a bunch of storage buildings and warehouses back in the 30's and 40's.

46 minutes ago, codypet said:

Probably similar to Mama B's when the hotel was built.  The Sentinel property was probably assembled back when that was still a gas station.  Reading through the Sentinel's history it sounds like it was a bunch of storage buildings and warehouses back in the 30's and 40's.

The Sentinel property included a number of gas stations and car dealerships along Colonial Drive. Also there were a number of stores at one point along the north side of the newsroom building. One of the most well known was Streep’s, a music store.