Seminole County Projects

spenser1058

Posted (edited)

As redevelopment of Seminole Towne Center gets underway, 354 apartments are coming to the southeast end of the mall.

Sanford looks to lure development at old Seminole Towne Center property
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-seminole-towne-center-redevelopment-20220623-fkgdtlxjcnes7a4vhml2v35eau-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Sorry, @HankStrong, there will not be a Chess King *sigh*

Fun Fact: Sanford is now Central Florida’s second-largest city with 61,000 residents. If this keeps up, the old General may have the last laugh!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As redevelopment of Seminole Towne Center gets underway, 354 apartments are coming to the southeast end of the mall.

Sanford looks to lure development at old Seminole Towne Center property
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-seminole-towne-center-redevelopment-20220623-fkgdtlxjcnes7a4vhml2v35eau-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Sorry, @HankStrong, there will not be a Chess King *sigh*

Fun Fact: Sanford is now Central Florida’s second-largest city with 61,000 residents. If this keeps up, the old General may have the last laugh!

Kissimmee has almost 80,000 people. Also, St. Cloud has 62,000 people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That’s from the Sentinel story - not sure how they’re computing it.

”But Woodruff and Reznick noted that Seminole’s population will continue growing in the coming years, and there will be an increasing demand for new apartments, especially in the area around the Seminole Towne Center. With nearly 61,000 residents, according to U.S. Census data, Sanford is Central Florida’s second most-populated city.”

It definitely looks like it may be a boo-boo. Good catch!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Casselberry’s gonna have culture!

“When completed by May, the $3.7-million, mural-covered building will house exhibits of works by renowned artists and expand Casselberry’s adjacent Art House.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-casselberry-art-expansion-lake-concord-20220711-bfplmy4k2vcpnojqg6yn4c5xkq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Casselberry’s gonna have culture!

“When completed by May, the $3.7-million, mural-covered building will house exhibits of works by renowned artists and expand Casselberry’s adjacent Art House.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-casselberry-art-expansion-lake-concord-20220711-bfplmy4k2vcpnojqg6yn4c5xkq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

I've heard there is a certain art director that's looking for work.  He's got some great connections to some fine art, really cheap!

• Haha 4

not sure if was posted in this thread or the one on Orlando Restaurants &Bars, but, I went to that Food Hall in downtown Sanford.  The bar is very busy.  The food is fairly expensive I thought.  I'm not sure how long they have been open, but that place is a success.  The only criticism I have is that the round steps in the front, when they made them, they made it too narrow. 

Also, it looks like they built an assisted living facility on the waterfront, next to where Wolfie's used to be (now a multipurpose events hall).  There is another restaurant/bar on the lake, but it's the only one.  The strip has quite a few places on it and it's fairly busy.

They've got good "bones" in downtown Sanford.  I know they've got s few projects close to being underway; townhouses and another project.  But they could really densify that place and make it an even greater magnet for visitors or the going out crowd.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Gen. Sanford is looking down on all of us and saying, “I was right!” “I was right!”

I took SR 46 from Mt. Dora to Sanford over the weekend.  OMG.  it runs parallel to 417 on it's north side, then on either side.  There is so much concrete that was used, and so much bridgework that was done, and there are several under 417 traffic circles it's impressive.  Then when SR 46 breaks off from 417, in that final few miles back to I-4, the road is a 6 lane highway with improved median; it is huge.  OMG; unrecognizable.  It will take probably two more years for the 417/I-4 interchange to get completed.

The western portion of SR 46 from the Western Beltway to US 441 has been widened as well, with new ramps.  The 1950's era stuff is completely gone.  From that point to Sorrento is the same as before, until the new Wekiva Pkwy joins up with it; the old section spans several miles; it would be neat to have a hideaway out there...   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I took SR 46 from Mt. Dora to Sanford over the weekend.  OMG.  it runs parallel to 417 on it's north side, then on either side.  There is so much concrete that was used, and so much bridgework that was done, and there are several under 417 traffic circles it's impressive.  Then when SR 46 breaks off from 417, in that final few miles back to I-4, the road is a 6 lane highway with improved median; it is huge.  OMG; unrecognizable.  It will take probably two more years for the 417/I-4 interchange to get completed.

The western portion of SR 46 from the Western Beltway to US 441 has been widened as well, with new ramps.  The 1950's era stuff is completely gone.  From that point to Sorrento is the same as before, until the new Wekiva Pkwy joins up with it; the old section spans several miles; it would be neat to have a hideaway out there...   

when I was a kid my dad and some of the guys he worked with had a concrete block fish camp on the Wekiva. You took FL 46 west from I-4 to get there and turned off on a dirt road just before the little bridge over the river. It was heavily wooded right down to the river. I learned to fish with my Zebco rod and reel (from Denmark’s sporting goods, of course) and we had a jonboat we could take just a few miles down river to fish and watch anything running around in the woods.

There was an abandoned block house on 46 near Paola my brother insisted was haunted and one mom and pop store just back from the river (my dad wasn’t much of a cook so if the fish weren’t biting we’d stop in for cans of Beefaroni). There was a teeny frame church in Paola we went to but it had no a/c so we were fanning ourselves up a storm with the cardboard stick fans from the local funeral home.

That was the good ol’days along the river…I’m sort of sad to see it all developed - it was one of the last untouched stretches around.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Am I correct that both roads are staying?  46 and 417/429

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So I ride at Mt. Dora and sometimes I'll head to Markham Woods after and I'm genuinely annoyed that the made 46 so you're hopping back and forth from one side of 429 to the other and that also you have a stop light with no free-flow anything to stay on 46.   Like the made it where you are constantly start/stopping and turning on what used to be a straight road.  There were ways to design this so you weren't slowing 46 down so much and not forcing people to figure out that they need to turn right and left to stay on 46.  Maybe that was the intent, to get all the through traffic on 429?  I just don't love that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, codypet said:

So I ride at Mt. Dora and sometimes I'll head to Markham Woods after and I'm genuinely annoyed that the made 46 so you're hopping back and forth from one side of 429 to the other and that also you have a stop light with no free-flow anything to stay on 46.   Like the made it where you are constantly start/stopping and turning on what used to be a straight road.  There were ways to design this so you weren't slowing 46 down so much and not forcing people to figure out that they need to turn right and left to stay on 46.  Maybe that was the intent, to get all the through traffic on 429?  I just don't love that. 

yes, my friend.  I believe all of those traffic circles were put there to slow you down and get you to pay and use the Wekiva Pkwy.  I thought the first traffic circle was cool.  By the time I hit the sixth? one I was like, why are all these people tailgating me; can't they see I've got to slow down to make that turn?

On 7/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, spenser1058 said:

when I was a kid my dad and some of the guys he worked with had a concrete block fish camp on the Wekiva. You took FL 46 west from I-4 to get there and turned off on a dirt road just before the little bridge over the river. It was heavily wooded right down to the river. I learned to fish with my Zebco rod and reel (from Denmark’s sporting goods, of course) and we had a jonboat we could take just a few miles down river to fish and watch anything running around in the woods.

There was an abandoned block house on 46 near Paola my brother insisted was haunted and one mom and pop store just back from the river (my dad wasn’t much of a cook so if the fish weren’t biting we’d stop in for cans of Beefaroni). There was a teeny frame church in Paola we went to but it had no a/c so we were fanning ourselves up a storm with the cardboard stick fans from the local funeral home.

That was the good ol’days along the river…I’m sort of sad to see it all developed - it was one of the last untouched stretches around.

do you remember in Volusia County the High Bridge route to the mainland and Cobb's Corner, and that whole mystique that was floating around about some witch at or near a house right there?  A bunch of us in high school rode out there one night after work at the local grocer, drinking and getting freaked out b/c there wasn't a street light in sight.  Ah, those splendid non-Seminole County (I know) memories- but similar to your ghost story. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Am I correct that both roads are staying?  46 and 417/429

it is very bizarre; both are there; the easement is pretty wide. never understood it until I drove it...

was it necessary?  I don't think so.  the  Wekiva Pkwy portion runs parallel to SR 46 until it breaks off to the SW en route to Plymouth near Apopka?  But there's a new spur that goes NW from that point back to SR 46 and it's final stretch to US 441; that's a few short miles and SR 46 is a six lane roadway at that point and very developed on both sides it seems.  

Where the highway breaks off from SR 46, that part has been left alone for several miles (Sorrento).

Two plans, one proposed by Commissioner Lee Constantine and modeled after the Florida Forever program and the second a referendum proposal by local environmentalists, would seek to increase county purchases of land for preservation:

Seminole commissioners to hear plans to acquire properties for preservation
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-seminole-forever-natural-lands-conservation-20220725-p43225vlzndvzn2hyv6jkh5nxq-story.html

From The Sentinel

Although he’s a Republican (and is infamous for problems with his staff), Constantine is leading the Seminole Commission into all sorts of innovative programs. They’re becoming the model in the region for DOING SOMETHING. Unsurprisingly, he also just became chair of the Florida Association of Counties.

Here’s hoping he can roll back the destruction of home rule that DeSantis and the Tallahassee Idiots keep imposing.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Met a long time friend for lunch in Sanford today and took a look around at all the water covering the Riverwalk.

So, posting photos is beyond me today....just know that Lake Monroe is a lot bigger today. There's a berm built up for people to get to Marina Isle and the water is up to the bottom of the orange channel marker.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, angela1117 said:

So, posting photos is beyond me today....just know that Lake Monroe is a lot bigger today. There's a berm built up for people to get to Marina Isle and the water is up to the bottom of the orange channel marker.

I was out there yesterday and its pretty bad... unfortunately it seems to still be rising.