Jump to content

Greensboro and Winston-Salem placed in new High A East baseball league


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodbye, South Atlantic League and Carolina League. For the first time since 1968 Greensboro and Winston-Salem will be playing in the same league. Would have been nice if it were AA because

Booo - another thread derailed by your petty trolling. But I do think that the question that prompted your original comment is an interesting one to consider. Greensboro, Winston, Durham, and Cha

DBAP is actually 26 years old, built in '95 when the Bulls were still in Single A. Though it's been renovated several times since then.      Interesting question, though it's not an a

Posted Images

Man....W-S totally whiffed on their ballpark's location. I mean it has a great view of the skyline, but that's about all it has going for it.  Almost nothing within walking distance, located essentially on an interstate, surrounded mostly by parking lots.  Maybe they're playing the long game and anticipating that all the parking lots will gradually get redeveloped, and eventually bring more economic activity to the west side of downtown, but it's hard to feel like they didn't swing and miss.  I think the lot bounded by 5th St, 6th St, Main St, and the train tracks would have been the perfect location (if they could fit a baseball stadium in it) because it would have been in a much more active part of downtown, plus it would have replaced five parking lots...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, and it could be because it was the only available property at the time for the stadium in the downtown area.  Its more like a neighborhood ballpark on the "outskirts/ edge" of the downtown core rather than a urban park like in Durham, Greensboro and Charlotte. The location is similar to Greensboro's old baseball stadium location. (War Memorial Stadium).

The process did seemed a bit rushed as if they were in a hurry to get a ballpark in the downtown area. A little more patience and it could have been incorporated within the core of downtown which is where most ballparks are being built these days. The stadium itself is beautiful though. They knocked that out of the ballpark no pun intended.

 

But would be nice to see something built similar to Project Slugger in Greensboro 

20210214_073736.jpg

20210214_073841.jpg

20210214_073609.jpg

20210214_073816.jpg

20210214_073859.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cityboi said:

I agree, and it could be because it was the only available property at the time for the stadium in the downtown area.  Its more like a neighborhood ballpark on the "outskirts/ edge" of the downtown core rather than a urban park like in Durham, Greensboro and Charlotte. The location is similar to Greensboro's old baseball stadium location. (War Memorial Stadium).

The process did seemed a bit rushed as if they were in a hurry to get a ballpark in the downtown area. A little more patience and it could have been incorporated within the core of downtown which is where most ballparks are being built these days. The stadium itself is beautiful though. They knocked that out of the ballpark no pun intended.

 

But would be nice to see something built similar to Project Slugger in Greensboro 

20210214_073736.jpg

20210214_073841.jpg

20210214_073609.jpg

20210214_073816.jpg

20210214_073859.jpg

Are you kidding? Regardless of where W-S's ball bark is, it looks way better than that Sluggers BP in Greensboro. That BP is a glorified high school baseball stadium.

Both Durham and W-S have better looking stadiums.

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fun! As a minor league baseball aficionado, I think putting these two in the same league makes a lot of sense. Hickory and Asheville will also be in the league. 

Regarding the Dash's stadium, there were plans at one point to build a whole district near it, similar to the types of development in St Louis, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati at the MLB level (or what we're seeing in Greensboro and Durham). Hopefully they can get that done at some point. A little cluster of sports bars and a sports apparel store would be a fun addition to DT WS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Are you kidding? Regardless of where W-S's ball bark is, it looks way better than that Sluggers BP in Greensboro. That BP is a glorified high school baseball stadium.

Both Durham and W-S have better looking stadiums.

I'll take development around a stadium over design any day of the week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, jthomas said:

Booo - another thread derailed by your petty trolling.

But I do think that the question that prompted your original comment is an interesting one to consider. Greensboro, Winston, Durham, and Charlotte have all built downtown ballparks in the last 15 years or so (not sure exactly how old DBAP is). Which ones are most successfully integrated in the urban environment? What lessons are there to be learned regarding athletic facilities and urbanism? With Raleigh perpetually discussing a new downtown arena, it's worth learning from other examples. Of the ballparks, I'd say Durham has the tightest integration into the downtown fabric (though I've never attended a game in Charlotte, so can't say firsthand about that one). It's also the oldest, so maybe the others just need more time? And if we include arenas, I'd say Spectrum Center in Charlotte does very well as an urban building.

 

Maybe if you had posters that weren't so unrealistically biased towards Greensboro, there wouldn't be a need to fact check and pull things back to reality (what you refer to as trolling) and more people outside the GSO homer group would participate in the Triad forums...don't you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

Maybe if you had posters that weren't so unrealistically biased towards Greensboro, there wouldn't be a need to fact check and pull things back to reality (what you refer to as trolling) and more people outside the GSO homer group would participate in the Triad forums...don't you think?

I have no control over what other people post. Speaking for myself, I am interested in discussing architecture, urbanism, and transportation issues. From what I've seen you post, you seem interested in bashing one specific poster, and in making negative comments in general. I do call that trolling. Perhaps if people stayed on topic, there would be more participation in the Triad forums?  I would love to see this board be more active.

I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on the questions I posed in my post. Sports facilities are often as catalysts for downtown development - do they really have that effect? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jthomas said:

Sports facilities are often as catalysts for downtown development - do they really have that effect? 

This is a slightly different question from the one I thought I was answering. I will go on record and say that sports stadiums do not generate any new development. To do this, they would have to create extra demand for real estate. This has been studied extensively and there's just no evidence that adding a new stadium will increase demand for real estate. 

However, stadiums can act as a focal point for development. As I said above, this is typically because the developer of the stadium wants to build a district around the park itself. We've seen this in Cincinnati and St Louis (and I'm sure other cities). The ballpark may make an area "trendy" and attract investment, but that investment is essentially getting taken from another part of the city or region. 

So, basically, let's say Greensboro will need 1,000,000 sq feet of new real estate in the next year. If we build a new stadium, that number doesn't change much, but instead of getting built on the News and Record property or Southside or somewhere, it gets built near the stadium because the stadium is 'hot' right now. However, that doesn't always work. 

Heck, in some cases (i.e. Charlotte) you could argue that the new stadium was drawn by the development, not the other way around. The Knights wanted to be where the action is (and have been setting attendance records ever since). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jthomas said:

I have no control over what other people post. Speaking for myself, I am interested in discussing architecture, urbanism, and transportation issues. From what I've seen you post, you seem interested in bashing one specific poster, and in making negative comments in general. I do call that trolling. Perhaps if people stayed on topic, there would be more participation in the Triad forums?  I would love to see this board be more active.

I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on the questions I posed in my post. Sports facilities are often as catalysts for downtown development - do they really have that effect? 

Most definitely. Most cities that I have seen that have downtown arenas and stadiums tend to have thriving businesses surrounding them. One prime example is LA Live surrounding the Staples Center in LA. Most cities are not as fortunate to have 3 professional teams occupying the same venue, but when there's a lot of sports activity at those venues, most surrounding businesses reap the benefits and it can in fact lead to new developments depending on the market. I witness this when I was in LA last year at a Lakers game.

Edited by RALNATIVE
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveFromFuquay said:

However, stadiums can act as a focal point for development. As I said above, this is typically because the developer of the stadium wants to build a district around the park itself. We've seen this in Cincinnati and St Louis (and I'm sure other cities). The ballpark may make an area "trendy" and attract investment, but that investment is essentially getting taken from another part of the city or region. 

This is a really interesting point, and I think you're right. It's not a bad thing - to me, it's an example of a positive role that government can play in development. Cities should be making targeted investments in infrastructure and amenities to encourage concentrated areas where it makes sense. I think this is a better outcome than allowing the same development demand to take the form of uncoordinated sprawl.

31 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

Most definitely. Most cities that I have seen that have downtown arenas and stadiums tend to have thriving businesses surrounding them. One prime example is LA Live surrounding the Staples Center in LA. Most cities are not as fortunate to have 3 professional teams occupying the same venue, but when there's a lot of sports activity at those venues, most surrounding businesses reap the benefits and it can in fact lead to new developments depending on the market. I witness this when I was in LA last year at a Lakers game.

Yeah, Staples/LA Live is a really good example - I stayed in an apartment across from the convention center there a couple of years ago. But even then, Staples was built in 1999, and LA Live was not completed until 10 years later according to Wiki. And some of the other surrounding development is just now being completed. So to circle back to the NC ballparks, I guess patience is the word - these districts aren't built overnight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of NC ballparks with integrated development there are only 2 that being in Greensboro with their office building as a part of it and of course Durham with its office buildings and retail integrated.   Charlotte's ballpark has space for a building but nothing built.  Yes huge apartment towers nearby but they are there in my opinion for the new park there Romare Bearden.   Yes WS's ballpark is on the edge of downtown but downtown Winston Salem is a very urban active core (drive down 4th St if you dont believe me and lots of hotels in renovated buildings like Hotel Indigo in the Pepper Bldg and the Kimpton in the RJR Reynolds bldg the model for Empire State Building)  

ALL of NC's largest cities have had a downtown uptown renaissance and comparing them is hard to do.  Downtown Wilmington is en fuego just out the Wilmington thread and downtown Raleigh is doing great too and more to come.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

6 home games played in Greensboro, the Dash won the first 3 and the Grasshoppers won the last 3. I went the night the Grasshoppers had the most lopsided win 17 - 3. This is going to be a great rivalry. The Grasshoppers will play a series in Winston-Salem in the upcoming weeks.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.