Southern Metro Areas

cosmoboy

Which Southern Metro Area Would You Prefer To Live In?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Which Southern Metro Area Would You Prefer To Live In?

• 1. Atlanta
    • 2. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill
    • 3. Winston-Salem-Greensboro-High Point
    • 4. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
    • 5. Miami-Fort Lauderdale
    • 6. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton
    • 7. Jacksonville
    • 8. Orlando
    • 9. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
    • 10. Savannah
    • 11. Charleston
    • 12. Greenville-Spartanburg
    • 13. Birmingham
    • 14. Nashville
    • 15. Memphis
    • 16. Knoxville
    • 17. New Orleans
    • 18. Chattanooga
    • 19. Richmond
    • 20. Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Portsmouth

I live in and love Charlotte, but if I could through life work free and have hefty bank account, I'd live in Charleston.  I love getting down there whenever I can.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly what my post would have said. If I had the money....Charleston, but im in Charlotte for a reason.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Columbia has made some nice strides in recent years, but is there any debate between Columbia and Charleston as to where people would prefer to live?  Unless your a Gamecock, what's the draw of moving to Columbia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure we can all agree for the most part that people love Charleston more than Columbia there is no doubt about that. However as far as what's drawing people there well there is a high quality of life, large educated population, lake murray, proximity to tourist attractions like Charleston, and Myrtle Beach, two entertainment districts, aggressive initiation of a growing knowledge based economy for the region (research campus) it was listed as Richard Florida's 5th most creative mid-sized city. So there are a few things it can hang its hat on.

As far as actual data for what it's worth it's the states 2nd fastest growing large metro percentage, or raw number wise. SC Metro Statistics

Forget Charleston, what about Savannah? Its got to be the most beautiful small city in the United States that is still relatively affordable compared to Charleston and others like it. I visited over Christmas and almost never left!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like Savannah too, but what's with the smell? As a matter of fact, what's with Georgia and the paper mills. :sick:

Smelliest place in the country? Tacoma, WA. If you haven't been, don't bother. I don't know how people live there.

Jacksonville had that problem about 15 years ago as well.  The westside was just horrible smelling.  I'm really surprised that any city allows them to operate to close to urbanized areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, where's the NIMBY effect? How did they miss that one?

I like Savannah too, but what's with the smell?  As a matter of fact, what's with Georgia and the paper mills. :sick:

Smelliest place in the country?  Tacoma, WA.  If you haven't been, don't bother.  I don't know how people live there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny that you say that because Charleston has got a Mead/Westvaco paper mill right on the Cooper River in the North area that emits terrible smells like that as well. The seabreeze does dilute the smell, though. I wish the hardcore NIMBYs down there said something to get it moved to like Moncks Corner. Or a place definitely not in the urban area.

It's kind of interesting how often Charlotte overwhelmingly wins in many of these polls.  Why so many Charlotte forumers?  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Funny how that is! Well, if I could get more people from my hometown on here, the Charleston forum would be hopping with activity. Oh well...Charlotte is still cool, though.

It's kind of interesting how often Charlotte overwhelmingly wins in many of these polls.  Why so many Charlotte forumers?  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure myself. Guess a lot of people very excited over the rapidly changing city. The city is growing up pretty fast so it's an exciting time to live here (especially since I work in design and city planning). A lot of new things are coming on-line real fast in Charlotte. You can barely recognize the city unless you live here 15-20 years ago from what it looks like now.

Truth be told, I don't generally vote the homer vote in these polls though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Simple. Most vote for whatever city they stay in, regardless of the poll topic. Since, the majority of UP forumers are from Charlotte, live nearby or are more familiar with it than other places, it gets more votes.

That could be possible, but I seriously doubt it considering the recent polls where Charlotte ranked right up there or on top of Miami with topics like "most extensive mass transit plans" and "most skyscrapers going up" (may not be correct topic titles). That was pretty crazy for anyone who's familiar with what's going on in both regions.

That could be possible, but I seriously doubt it considering the recent polls where Charlotte ranked right up there or on top of Miami with topics like "most extensive mass transit plans" and "most skyscrapers going up" (may not be correct topic titles).  That was pretty crazy for anyone who's familiar with what's going on in both regions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlottoeans claiming it has more scrapers going up than Miami? :rofl:

Absolutely shocking.

I know Columbia has made some nice strides in recent years, but is there any debate between Columbia and Charleston as to where people would prefer to live?  Unless your a Gamecock, what's the draw of moving to Columbia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. Its a great city. Not too big, not too small. It has big city entertainment in what is otherwise a midsized city. You can go on and on about it. USC adds alot ot the nightlife in Columbia to be sure :)

On a separate note, I really enjoy Jacksonville. Everytime I go there I like it more and more.

I appreciate the comments on Jacksonville, Spartan.  We're always happy to have South Carolinians visit or move down here.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know you guys are! :thumbsup: Everytime I have visited Jacksonville, I have felt welcome. God willing, my wife and I will move there to start a family...after I finish my masters up here in Cola.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived