Southern Metro Areas

cosmoboy

Which Southern Metro Area Would You Prefer To Live In?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Which Southern Metro Area Would You Prefer To Live In?

• 1. Atlanta
    • 2. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill
    • 3. Winston-Salem-Greensboro-High Point
    • 4. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
    • 5. Miami-Fort Lauderdale
    • 6. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton
    • 7. Jacksonville
    • 8. Orlando
    • 9. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
    • 10. Savannah
    • 11. Charleston
    • 12. Greenville-Spartanburg
    • 13. Birmingham
    • 14. Nashville
    • 15. Memphis
    • 16. Knoxville
    • 17. New Orleans
    • 18. Chattanooga
    • 19. Richmond
    • 20. Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Portsmouth

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

u wanna say that again m2l4k6? I really didn't put texas cities in there bacause i was just refering to the immediate south. You agreed to the rules right? Well, then I just suggest you close your mouth before the moderators, especially monsoon and spartan, get all over your behind. :whistling:

If I had to chose, my top six list would be....

1) Atlanta

2) Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Boca

3) Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill

4) Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

5) Orlando

6) Nashville

Normally people would say top 5 but I would consider Nashville as well.

If anyone is interested as to why, my main reason would be because I'm a realtor and the cities listed are on fire.....especially 1-5. My parents live in Atlanta and although I'm grown, I find it hard to move too far from them. Wait, that should give Charlotte a higher number....but Miami does have the beach.

If I had to chose, my top six list would be....

1) Atlanta

2) Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Boca

3) Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill

4) Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

5) Orlando

6) Nashville

Normally people would say top 5 but I would consider Nashville as well.

If anyone is interested as to why, my main reason would be because I'm a realtor and the cities listed are on fire.....especially 1-5. My parents live in Atlanta and although I'm grown, I find it hard to move too far from them. Wait, that should give Charlotte a higher number....but Miami does have the beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Atlanta's real estate economy would be declining due to all of their problems as a city (traffic, air quality, and crime).

I thought Atlanta's real estate economy would be declining due to all of their problems as a city (traffic, air quality, and crime).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't aware of that - but even if your points are true, & they are arguably not except for traffic (air quality is better as Atlanta is no longer in 1 hour EPA noncompliance - but still in 8 hour noncompliance & crime is certainly down, if not dispersed to suburban counties) that hasn't made any impact on real estate. In fact, I'm about to put my back yard that abuts to another street on the market, $90k for .1 acre.

Not arguing that there is a possibility that real estate market could collapse - but Atlanta is nowhere near the over-appreciated level that exists in San Francisco or Washington. Otherwise if a collapse does occur, it would likely be due to national trends which would affect most cities as well.

cosmoboy - did you ever determine what was the likely development you saw in downtown Atlanta?

cosmoboy - did you ever determine what was the likely development you saw in downtown Atlanta?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, now that I look back on Lady Celeste's comment I guess she meant that the hot real estate was in the suburbs and in Midtown, Downtown, Atlantic Station. I guess in general the most crime would have to be below 5 points and west of DT atlanta. My mistake!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not seen as such.....actually quite the contrary.

When I speak of Atlanta I am speaking of Atlanta city and the metro. I have not found the real estate market to be softening in the least. Prices in the Atlanta area have increased dramatically. Which means I have to sell less houses now. I have concentrated areas I sale in and certain price points. These areas are not necessarily in the city center however I am seeing a definite increase in the city limits as well. After I have this baby I am definitely considering added highrise condos and intown to my portfolio. I have several out of town clients who are purchasing in Atlanta because they feel it's a great place for their businesses. Atlanta does rank high on those Forbes list you know. Atlanta also has recieved alot of national attention which increases intrigue.

As Tesadoh stated earlier, Atlanta has gotten much better on the air quality issue. There have been definite steps taken in the city ceter to lower crime. Traffic however is another story. The current mayor of Atlanta coupled with some very nice corporate/private donations of late have also increased the livibility quotient of downtown. The clients I specialize in however are not your typical 9-5ers, although I do have some, so traffic is not a major issue for them. Transportation is. As long as they can arrive at Hartsfield-Jackson in a decent time to reach the rest of the world then they are satisfied.

For the record, Atlanta's real estate market has been in the top ten for some years now. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Miami, San Franciso/San Jose, New York, DC/Northern VA and Los Angeles have been periennial hotbeds. If I recall correctly, Orlando has been hot as well. That's why I left my corporate America job....that and I'm too much of a people's person.

I'm in Atlanta right now and I am wishing i had picked it because of all the great development and a decrease in traffic (from what i've seen).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The development in Atlanta is great and I really have a blast no matter what time of week/year I'm in Atlanta. But, since I have to drive all over the city with my job, I have to disagree that traffic has "decreased" in Atlanta. I'm constantly having to pull out my mobile Mapquest and find alternate routes due to traffic tie-ups when I'm there.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Miami, it's a nice area. But I'd say from that list, I'd love to check out Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is Miami a bad place to live? I've heard several things about it and I wanted it from a resident's perspective. Would you say it's getting better or worse as the years go on?

Archived