Southern Metro Areas

cosmoboy

Which Southern Metro Area Would You Prefer To Live In?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Which Southern Metro Area Would You Prefer To Live In?

• 1. Atlanta
    • 2. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill
    • 3. Winston-Salem-Greensboro-High Point
    • 4. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
    • 5. Miami-Fort Lauderdale
    • 6. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton
    • 7. Jacksonville
    • 8. Orlando
    • 9. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
    • 10. Savannah
    • 11. Charleston
    • 12. Greenville-Spartanburg
    • 13. Birmingham
    • 14. Nashville
    • 15. Memphis
    • 16. Knoxville
    • 17. New Orleans
    • 18. Chattanooga
    • 19. Richmond
    • 20. Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Portsmouth

Is Miami a bad place to live? I've heard several things about it and I wanted it from a resident's perspective. Would you say it's getting better or worse as the years go on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. It's getting better every day. We are eons from the "Miami Vice" of the 80's.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B) Hey B. Do you have any up-to-date pics of South Beach. I freggin' love that place ! :wub: I have not been in over three years. I was wondering if any more development has been going on. I am SURE that it has. Every time I go, I always see at least one Rolls and a Ferarri.

A2

B)

I've been gone for six months and see that some things haven't changed. I see that Charlotte forumers still dominate this site. Seriously, I voted for Nashville, but I would be out of my mind to retire there, or Charlotte, or any other city for that matter. But the poll raises the question in my mind: What is there to do in Charlotte for retirees? And please don't say "go to the coast" because that's what I intend to do when I retire... but I mean live there.

A great deal of them live on the Lakes here. Lake Norman and Lake Willey. Both are within the Metro. Great Golfing (I can personally vouch for this). There are HUGE communities being developed right now for these retirees. Not to mention the weather is nice. It is not bitter cold and it is not overly oppressive in the summer. I know you stated not to mention the beach, but it goes without saying that those that retire like to have amentities close by and both the mountains and Beaches are within a couple hour drive from the Lakes. That diversity in topography lends itself to a nice community to retire in. Granted it will NEVER be a FL or an AZ as far as ritiree migration goes, but NC will always have attractions for retirees to enjoy.

Here is an article that came out just last Friday in the CBJ referring to a Master Community that is being developed in the Southern CLT metro JUST for retirees. It will be home to OVER 6000 ! In just one community planned.

Here are some snipits:

It will be OVER 1200 acres. It is viewed by the developer as ONE of the BEST sites ever chosen for a retirement community. (and this is coming from sites they have chosen all over including places like Hilton Head)

Here is a direct qoute from the article:

The site offers immediate proximity to shopping in Ballantyne, ready access to medical care and a 25-minute drive to uptown.

The site of rolling hills has 10 lakes; the Catawba River forms its western border. The water will allow residents to enjoy opportunities to kayak and canoe, in keeping with the active lifestyle of Sun City residents.

"The site is a jewel. The name picked itself," says Vitek. "It's one of the most beautiful pieces of land Del Webb ever purchased for a Sun City development."

Carolina Lakes will eventually include an 18-hole golf course, a 35,000-square-foot recreation center and two outdoor pools.

The Charlotte region ranks near the top nationally as a relocation destination, made possible by its affordable housing, access to cultural activities and temperate weather.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...us3.html?page=2

• 2 weeks later...

Is Miami a bad place to live? I've heard several things about it and I wanted it from a resident's perspective. Would you say it's getting better or worse as the years go on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a very strange place. The crime and stuff is way overrated these days. However, you can barely get by in Miami-Dade Co without speaking Spanish. You can function but you'll feel like an outsider. The other issue is that if you're poor, it's probably a more pleasant place than most other inner cities as there seems to be more vibrance and sense of community. If you're affluent it's one of the best, if not THE best, place to live or vacation. If you're middle class, though, it can be a bit of a struggle to get by.

All of the negatives are less true in Fort Lauderdale/Broward Co, which is kind of like Miami hybridized with the rest of America. It's definitely possible, and really the norm, to be more of a regular old middle class American there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will someone PLEASE vote for Richmond? They're still at zero! :cry:

Think of it this way.

It doesn't mean that there is something profoundly wrong with Richmond, just that these other cities are even better in their minds.

A good analogy would be in sports cars. Just because the 2006 Corvette Z06 can do the 0-60 in 3.7 doesn't mean a slower Porshe still isn't a good sports car.

• 2 weeks later...

So many people have picked Nashville and Charlotte, but I would prefer to live in almost any coastal or Floridian city before them because of the close proximity to water. For raising a family I would say that Nashville Charlotte and Jacksonville are the best because they all have old, established, and safe neighborhoods for which to raise kids, but honestly, I would pick Jacksonville out of those three because you can both live in a good neighborhood and take your boat out on the river to dowtown or other places. Its great!

^ I completely agree. I'm hoping after I finish my masters here at USC that I will be able to move to Jax and settle down there. Like you said, it has great old and new neighborhoods, fantastic access to water, and a great DT with good restaurants. Plus shopping (my new wife loves to do that!). I'd move to Charleston, only my parents live there...definitely can't live there unless they move! :lol:

Granted it will NEVER be a FL or an AZ as far as ritiree migration goes, but NC will always have attractions for retirees to enjoy.

The Charlotte region ranks near the top nationally as a relocation destination, made possible by its affordable housing, access to cultural activities and temperate weather.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...us3.html?page=2

Actually, I beleive NC is ranked third in the US as a retirement destination. I think that this because there are so many choices and variety, maybe unparalled on the East Coast?

Actually, I beleive NC is ranked third in the US as a retirement destination. I think that this because there are so many choices and variety, maybe unparalled on the East Coast?

I think Arizona, Florida, and Nevada still have a pretty good grip on the retirement "industry," but the Carolinas in general are getting more than their fair share of retirees.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived