New Aquarium Proposal

joeDowntown

This news from the NOBL newsletter, I've ALWAYS wanted to get in that building so will definitely be there.  UP Meetup anyone???

Coldbrook Creek Corner

The Coldbrook pumping station sits at 1101 Monroe Ave. NW, just south of Leonard St., near the site where Coldbrook Creek flows into the Grand River.  This historic pump was active from the late 1870’s until just recently.  Currently, it may find new life as part of the River For All project which hopes to establish that area as a primary access site for all to enjoy the riverfront.  The Coldbrook Creek Community will be hosting a tour of the facility as part of its membership meeting on Monday, September 20, from 6p-7:30p.  All are welcome and encouraged to attend.

Coldbrook Creek originates in the wetlands around Reeds Lake in EGR and from there flows into the Grand River in downtown GR.  The mission of the Coldbrook Creek Community is to promote education, protect the environment and provide enjoyment of this watershed.  To become involved or for more information please visit www.lgrow.org/coldbrook-creek, or search for us on Facebook.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours ago, gvsusean said:

Big oof, but very doubtful. I get the appeal for an aquarium near the lakeshore, but I don’t see an “If you build it, they will come” scenario for Muskegon of all places. I mean, they’re just now trying to get back on their feet with the more recent proposals…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gvsusean said:

If any of you are like me and don't have or intend to have a Facebook account and can't see the link,  I'm guessing this is what it is about:

WZZM: shore-of-muskegon-lake-may-be-location-for-john-ball-zoos-150-million-aquarium-project

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yeah right, as soon as Grand Rapids community leaders and zoo benefactors get word of this, it will be torpedo-ed. There's no way they'll allow it to be built in Muskegon. 

I'm a "zoo benefactor," although a very small one with little influence and I wouldn't have any problem with this being in Muskegon.,

14 hours ago, gvsusean said:

Ooof, this sucks…

Muskegon Lake?  Wow, that's a terrible choice.   Not anywhere near an airport, no public transportation worth mentioning.   Just seems like a stupid location for a $150M tourist attraction. 
Oh well, that would be classic Michigan.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, walker said:

If any of you are like me and don't have or intend to have a Facebook account and can't see the link,  I'm guessing this is what it is about:

WZZM: shore-of-muskegon-lake-may-be-location-for-john-ball-zoos-150-million-aquarium-project

I'm a "zoo benefactor," although a very small one with little influence and I wouldn't have any problem with this being in Muskegon.,

Most of the visitors to attractions like aquariums are classrooms, and GRPS can't even afford to run its own buses, not less bus 15,000 students over to the lakeshore (not to mention all of the other cash-strapped school districts in Kent and Ottawa Counties.

Bad idea. Why gift this whole thing to Muskegon County? Not arguing that an aquarium would be good for Muskegon, but build your own then Muskegon.  

It's not like GR doesnt have a river through it to incorporate water into an aquarium... 

I'm skeptical. Seems like a colossal missed opportunity to further build out GR as an attraction. No convention goer is taking a day trip to Muskegon... like grdad said too. Doesn't seem economical for the community that JB Zoo currently serves.

• Like 1

Since they're looking for crazy ideas:  Holland is looking for a use for the old waterfront powerplant site.  Then you could justify a frequent rail service between the lakeshore and downtown GR as the rail line goes right to the waterfront at Padnos.

***I do not think this is an actual solution and would prefer downtown GR as well...

image.thumb.png.974a1fc64060e3942b1fb517a679d8d0.png

Is there some unwritten rule that an aquarium HAS to be on the waterfront? I don’t know if there is any real benefit other than optics. 

Is it really worth putting an aquarium so far from John Ball Zoo? It seems like proximity to John Ball Zoo should be one of the top priorities. Whether it’s next to, walking distance, or a short tram ride, it would seem to me that the benefits of visiting both in one visit would benefit the zoo, and the population it serves. 

This seems SO weird to me. Like if Binder Park Zoo announced an aquarium in Grand Rapids. It borders on bizarre.

Joe

My guess is the zoo did not really want this going public yet. Having worked with the Muskegon Chamber in the past for a former media company, I'm guessing some of the big stakeholders who own lakefront land (Devos's are one) are pushing for this, and just wanted to test the waters (and wave some dollar bills at the zoo). 

I was at an award banquet for the Grand Rapids Chamber this afternoon and a group of us were saying this is the "whitest idea we had ever seen." Let's all do a google maps search to see how far it is from downtown Grand Rapids to the Muskegon waterfront via walking, biking, and transit. The answer is: impossible.  Only white people in Kent and Ottawa Counties will "drive" there.  That leaves out a big chunk of the community that the JBzoo serves now. 

Even though the zoo is now officially a non-profit, they receive millions in funding from taxpayers through the recently passed millage. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wingbert said:

Pretty sure the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is a great add-on attraction for folks visiting the city for all of its various charms.  This better be one heck of an aquarium if it’s going to be the main draw for lots of people to Muskegon.

Exactly, I enjoy zoos and aquariums a good amount; but there’s no way I’m planning a trip around going to one. I was pretty annoyed that when I was in Columbus last year that I had to drive 45 minutes out of town to go to the Jack Hanna run zoo. Too far, too out of mind when planning out how I can experience a place the most in only a few days. 

I speak that statement generally.  My wife’s parents live in North Muskegon, so I have  reason to go there more often than I care to. But before we started dating I visited Muskegon only a few times. 

I think it would be a fantastic attraction for Muskegon, but would be a bigger and more integral attraction for tourists if in GR.

I personally don't care where the aquarium ends up, I'll probably go once or twice.

I do think a lot of people on this thread vastly underestimate how many people visit and vacation in Muskegon, it would be a huge draw for beach tourists deciding where to stay. 

Also, a lot of people seem to vastly underestimate the very large minority and large below the poverty line population in Muskegon and Muskegon Heights. It can be a great educational opportunity for Muskegon public and Muskegon Heights schools. 

The question of John Ball zoo being involved I get, but if Muskegon land is going to be a fraction of the price, I get that they are at least considering it. 

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I personally don't care where the aquarium ends up, I'll probably go once or twice.

I do think a lot of people on this thread vastly underestimate how many people visit and vacation in Muskegon, it would be a huge draw for beach tourists deciding where to stay. 

Also, a lot of people seem to vastly underestimate the very large minority and large below the poverty line population in Muskegon and Muskegon Heights. It can be a great educational opportunity for Muskegon public and Muskegon Heights schools. 

The question of John Ball zoo being involved I get, but if Muskegon land is going to be a fraction of the price, I get that they are at least considering it. 

I don't disagree with this, and I love the fact that Kids Food Basket is serving the Muskegon area now. But why would Kent County residents and JBZoo benefactors pay for something like this to be put in Muskegon? And not in GR that is the center of West Michigan?

The zoo operates on a shoestring budget. That $150 Million to build an aquarium has to come from somewhere, regardless of how cheap you can get the land. 

4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't disagree with this, and I love the fact that Kids Food Basket is serving the Muskegon area now. But why would Kent County residents and JBZoo benefactors pay for something like this to be put in Muskegon? And not in GR that is the center of West Michigan?

The zoo operates on a shoestring budget. That $150 Million to build an aquarium has to come from somewhere, regardless of how cheap you can get the land. 

I understand the feasibility study will present the costs and benefits. I'm assuming a portion of this to be funded privately, but would the rest be taxpayer funded?

I'm curious to see how Kent county residents react to passing a tax increase to build this in Muskegon. When Fred Meijer offered up free land and $25m to move the zoo to where FMG is now that failed. I'm also curious if Kent County residents would pass another increase to build this even if it were to be built in Kent county.

2 hours ago, egrguy said:

I understand the feasibility study will present the costs and benefits. I'm assuming a portion of this to be funded privately, but would the rest be taxpayer funded?

I'm curious to see how Kent county residents react to passing a tax increase to build this in Muskegon. When Fred Meijer offered up free land and $25m to move the zoo to where FMG is now that failed. I'm also curious if Kent County residents would pass another increase to build this even if it were to be built in Kent county.

A $150 million private donation would be the largest in GR history, and I just don't see that happening for an aquarium. Meijer Gardens' expansion is $150 Million but it's been around for a lot longer and the Meijer family's baby. 

I’m not vastly underestimating Muskegon. I just think it’s a disservice to the constituency that John Ball Zoo has always served (and loyal visitors and donors over the last century). I don’t think an aquarium is going to put either Muskegon or Grand Rapids on the map as a travel destination (though I think it would help Grand Rapids add to its arsenal).

As a greedy proponent of Grand Rapids, I just think it sucks that GR residents aren’t getting the lion share of the rewards (school trips, residents visiting, jobs).

I kind of feel like the John Ball Zoo is biting the hand that’s been feeding them for years and years (yes, John Ball Zoo is now a regional attraction, but only because of the patronage and generosity of local residents who continue to support it). 

Joe

15 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

An "world class" aquarium in GR is dumb, An aquarium for John Ball Zoo in Muskegon is even dumber. We took our kids to the Shedd Aquarium once. We didn't go a 2nd time. Once was enough.

I generally agree. And apparently the zoo says it will be a 10 year project after their economic impact study is done. They should just save their money on the study and sandbag this pipe dream. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/study-aims-to-see-if-aquarium-could-thrive-in-gr-or-muskegon/