Soccer Stadium

GRDadof3

It would be really cool to see some new blood get in on this project.  For instance, if the Gordon family were part of the stadium backers, the money from concessions would benefit their business... 

I'm not even a soccer fan and I'd take my family to a couple games for fun.  Rallying the community around this will be big.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

It would be really cool to see some new blood get in on this project.  For instance, if the Gordon family were part of the stadium backers, the money from concessions would benefit their business... 

I'm not even a soccer fan and I'd take my family to a couple games for fun.  Rallying the community around this will be big.  

I really hope they put it near other businesses too. If you've ever been to a GRFC game (especially when they played Detroit FC), it was a great time. The supporters parade down the street with drums and banners. It really has a cool vibe. I'd love to see something on  the West Side where they could march down Bridge Street (or one of the side streets). Soccer has west side written all over it. :)

Here's a video back in the day (when GRFC was breaking records for attendance and people could actually sit next to each other. LOL). It was intense:

https://www.facebook.com/GrandRapidsFC/videos/1722666134651719/

Joe

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, WMrapids said:

When did they move out to Kentwood? Is this due to the track being at Houseman Field?

Combination of reasons. Declining attendance, covid making the league take a year off, cost to rent houseman, change in ownership. I think they basically get to use the Midwest complex for free, so they figured as a rebuilding year they would play games there. 

I think it served its purpose of showing people in GR are interested in soccer. Hard to keep up interest for a 4th tier league though. Short season and teams fold and start up every year, so there are relatively few consistent opponents. I think they only way to draw crowds again will be to have a professional (2nd tier) team with a stadium close to downtown.

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

Combination of reasons. Declining attendance, covid making the league take a year off, cost to rent houseman, change in ownership. I think they basically get to use the Midwest complex for free, so they figured as a rebuilding year they would play games there. 

I think it served its purpose of showing people in GR are interested in soccer. Hard to keep up interest for a 4th tier league though. Short season and teams fold and start up every year, so there are relatively few consistent opponents. I think they only way to draw crowds again will be to have a professional (2nd tier) team with a stadium close to downtown.

I heard the agreement with Houseman was pretty terrible, didn't help the team much. If I'm not mistaken, GRPS got 100% of concession sales, and part of the ticket price (?). I loved watching games at Houseman (and didn't make it to any of the games this year - either bad weather or a conflict on my schedule). I wonder if GRFC will continue, or if the ownership group they're trying to form for USL2 will steamroll the other group.

Joe

23 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I heard the agreement with Houseman was pretty terrible, didn't help the team much. If I'm not mistaken, GRPS got 100% of concession sales, and part of the ticket price (?). I loved watching games at Houseman (and didn't make it to any of the games this year - either bad weather or a conflict on my schedule). I wonder if GRFC will continue, or if the ownership group they're trying to form for USL2 will steamroll the other group.

Joe

I could see it continuing on as a de facto senior team for Midwest United or as a feeder team for a future USL franchise. As long as they get to use the facilities for free and offer an opportunity of competitive play for players who age out of Midwest United, it would make sense to have them around.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
19 hours ago, Jonesey said:

I'm surprised there's still so many NIMBYs still over there.  Why now?  Has there been any updates?

There aren't really that many NIMBYs. There are just a few JBAN Board members that will say no to almost anything in an effort to freeze the neighborhood in time (at least that is my perception). In my experience as a homeowner, they do not speak for most of the neighborhood residents, even though they are the loudest voices. 

Edited by demhem
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, demhem said:

There aren't really that many NIMBYs. There are just a few JBAN Board members that will say no to almost anything in an effort to freeze the neighborhood in time (at least that is my perception). In my experience as a homeowner, they do not speak for most of the neighborhood residents, even though they are the loudest voices. 

So Peter Carlberg's still over there then, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Progressive AE has postponed speaking to SWAN on the 15th. Looks like they postponed until July or September. Was anyone able to find any information about what they were going to show? 

*UPDATE*Progressive AE is no longer able to attend our June meeting* Stay tuned for a rescheduled meeting date- possibly 7/12 or 9/13*

Joe

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, StreetcarGR said:

Did this meeting ever get rescheduled? Soccer rumor mill has been pretty quite as of late... Still hopeful!

September was the potential make up date for the neighborhood meeting with Progressive AE, so I'm just waiting to hear if they'll officially announce something soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

Anyone who’s a subscriber want to summarize the article?

Hmmm...sorry about that. I am always confused as to why I can view Mlive articles without the paywall but others seem to get caught? I'm not a subscriber...

Nothing crazy, but here are the parts that I thought were interesting:

• The CAA is "hopeful" that a soccer stadium will be built by 2026.
  • Grand Action 2.0 has been leading the process forward, but the CAA would be the owner and operator of the stadium if it is build.
  • The exact location hasn't been disclosed, but it is assumed to be the spot near the YMCA that has been previously discussed.
  • The league hasn't been disclosed but it is suggested that it would be a USL team.
  • The architectural process is near the same stage as the amphitheater project, so the design must be pretty far along.
  • DGRI is indicating that mixed-income housing could accompany the development.

15 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

Anyone who’s a subscriber want to summarize the article?

Ambitious. It's aiming to be opened by 2026 soccer season (when that starts, who knows). 

Grand Action 2.0 declined comment about the project. 

Same information we've been hearing. Parking lots by the YMCA are the rumored spot, but not confirmed by anyone.

48 minutes ago, Zads said:

Ambitious. It's aiming to be opened by 2026 soccer season (when that starts, who knows). 

Grand Action 2.0 declined comment about the project. 

Same information we've been hearing. Parking lots by the YMCA are the rumored spot, but not confirmed by anyone.

USL Championship league (which I hope we’d be a part of, great rivalry with Detroit FC from the GRFC days)  starts in mid-March. So it’s a pretty ambitious timeline and something we’d have to hear about soon in order to make that date. 

Joe