Jump to content

Soccer Stadium


GRDadof3

Recommended Posts

It would be really cool to see some new blood get in on this project.  For instance, if the Gordon family were part of the stadium backers, the money from concessions would benefit their business... 

I'm not even a soccer fan and I'd take my family to a couple games for fun.  Rallying the community around this will be big.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

It would be really cool to see some new blood get in on this project.  For instance, if the Gordon family were part of the stadium backers, the money from concessions would benefit their business... 

I'm not even a soccer fan and I'd take my family to a couple games for fun.  Rallying the community around this will be big.  

I really hope they put it near other businesses too. If you've ever been to a GRFC game (especially when they played Detroit FC), it was a great time. The supporters parade down the street with drums and banners. It really has a cool vibe. I'd love to see something on  the West Side where they could march down Bridge Street (or one of the side streets). Soccer has west side written all over it. :)

Here's a video back in the day (when GRFC was breaking records for attendance and people could actually sit next to each other. LOL). It was intense:

https://www.facebook.com/GrandRapidsFC/videos/1722666134651719/

Joe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
12 hours ago, WMrapids said:

When did they move out to Kentwood? Is this due to the track being at Houseman Field?

Combination of reasons. Declining attendance, covid making the league take a year off, cost to rent houseman, change in ownership. I think they basically get to use the Midwest complex for free, so they figured as a rebuilding year they would play games there. 

I think it served its purpose of showing people in GR are interested in soccer. Hard to keep up interest for a 4th tier league though. Short season and teams fold and start up every year, so there are relatively few consistent opponents. I think they only way to draw crowds again will be to have a professional (2nd tier) team with a stadium close to downtown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

Combination of reasons. Declining attendance, covid making the league take a year off, cost to rent houseman, change in ownership. I think they basically get to use the Midwest complex for free, so they figured as a rebuilding year they would play games there. 

I think it served its purpose of showing people in GR are interested in soccer. Hard to keep up interest for a 4th tier league though. Short season and teams fold and start up every year, so there are relatively few consistent opponents. I think they only way to draw crowds again will be to have a professional (2nd tier) team with a stadium close to downtown.

I heard the agreement with Houseman was pretty terrible, didn't help the team much. If I'm not mistaken, GRPS got 100% of concession sales, and part of the ticket price (?). I loved watching games at Houseman (and didn't make it to any of the games this year - either bad weather or a conflict on my schedule). I wonder if GRFC will continue, or if the ownership group they're trying to form for USL2 will steamroll the other group.

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I heard the agreement with Houseman was pretty terrible, didn't help the team much. If I'm not mistaken, GRPS got 100% of concession sales, and part of the ticket price (?). I loved watching games at Houseman (and didn't make it to any of the games this year - either bad weather or a conflict on my schedule). I wonder if GRFC will continue, or if the ownership group they're trying to form for USL2 will steamroll the other group.

Joe

I could see it continuing on as a de facto senior team for Midwest United or as a feeder team for a future USL franchise. As long as they get to use the facilities for free and offer an opportunity of competitive play for players who age out of Midwest United, it would make sense to have them around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, WMrapids said:

It is a bummer, but between the season being cancelled for the pandemic and losing Houseman as a home stadium, I'm not surprised. I hope this paves the way for a higher division team in GR. We have the fans for it, just need a stadium in a good location and an owner with deeper pockets.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.