Pembroke Mall Revelopment (Ongoing-Phase 1)

urbanlife

2 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

I think this concept would work better at the Military Circle Mall site.  I like what they are planning at Pembroke Mall, but again what's with Hampton Roads infatuation with vast parking lots?  Hide those things or build parking garages.  

They are specifically getting rid of some of those parking lots with this development and expanding the urban-ness of Town Center.  That’s a good thing for Pembroke Mall, right?

Edited by metalman
Bad spell-check
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

I think this concept would work better at the Military Circle Mall site.  I like what they are planning at Pembroke Mall, but again what's with Hampton Roads infatuation with vast parking lots?  Hide those things or build parking garages.  

You can bet that after the core is fleshed out, they'll take care of those parking lots as well. This is a lot of land, and will probably take a full 20 years to develop just like it did with Town Center.

• Like 4

• vdogg changed the title to Pembroke Mall Revelopment (Ongoing-Phase 1)

It will be interesting to watch how this evolves as it goes from design to build. I am not fond of this original concept plan, but would need to see more of it. It would be nicer if some sort of urban grid was created for Pembroke with the buildings conforming to that. Obviously it looks like the plan is to keep the big box stores for now, which was to be expected.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 7:13 AM, Asdfjkl; said:

While not directly related to the redevelopment project, an office tenant has leased a large chunk of the remaining Sears space. Good first step to officially making this a mixed-use property. 

Decisions to Relocate to the Former Sears Building at Pembroke Mall

So is the building getting redeveloped or a massive renovation or are they actually putting office space in a windowless big department store building?

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:13 AM, Asdfjkl; said:

While not directly related to the redevelopment project, an office tenant has leased a large chunk of the remaining Sears space. Good first step to officially making this a mixed-use property. 

Decisions to Relocate to the Former Sears Building at Pembroke Mall

Not that I'm disappointed, but 52,000 feet would have made a big dent in the block two tower that Armada Hoffler is trying to build. I don't understand what it is they're doing that they can't fill that space. Obviously there's the demand for office space near town center.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:55 PM, vdogg said:

Not that I'm disappointed, but 52,000 feet would have made a big dent in the block two tower that Armada Hoffler is trying to build. I don't understand what it is they're doing that they can't fill that space. Obviously there's the demand for office space near town center.

I would imagine that a lot of it has to do with the price per square foot that AH is looking for.  I would bet that it is a fair amount higher than this deal.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mr. Ramsey Smith reports to me that there will be some solid announcements in the coming weeks. Multiple. Multi-family, which every developer will tell you  is really the only way to make money in Virginia Beach rn. 

Additionally, he dropped a little bomblet on me saying that there are exciting times ahead for “Pembroke Square (f.k.a. Pembroke Mall). Hint.”

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Pembroke Square Associates will complete three initial projects to redevelop the mall: An independent senior living community to be managed by Beth Sholom, a new-to-market hotel and apartments.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/va-beachs-pembroke-mall-to-add-apartments-senior-living-and-hotel/

• 7 story senior building 
  • 14 story hotel 
  • 9-10 story apartments 
  • potential for high-rise office tower/ national bowling alley brand

• Like 4

3 hours ago, urbanvb said:

A 14 story hotel at the former Suntrust bank will make a huge change to the center. And I can’t wait to see the apartments and senior center going up too. Hoping too for that potential high rise. :)

That office tower is easily mid 20s, pushing 30, but 14 stories on SunTrust? I'll take it. 

How you all posted this without including the apartment tower rendering is dumbfounding to me. Step your game up. :lol:

Screenshot_20211117-001739_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Virginia Beach and Chesapeake's "downtowns" get high-rise apartments. SPQ gets 4-story buildings. Only in Hampton Roads. :lol:

Jokes aside, this is a really cool development and has the potential to take Town Center to the next level. Every time I think about it, I get frustrated that people voted down The Tide extension. This would've been an amazing transit-oriented development.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, varider said:

Pembroke Square Associates will complete three initial projects to redevelop the mall: An independent senior living community to be managed by Beth Sholom, a new-to-market hotel and apartments.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/va-beachs-pembroke-mall-to-add-apartments-senior-living-and-hotel/

• 7 story senior building 
  • 14 story hotel 
  • 9-10 story apartments 
  • potential for high-rise office tower/ national bowling alley brand

It sounds like they will be building an urban lifestyle center that will have the focal point be where the mall exists now, and then develop the surrounding land into a more urban style. It would definitely be an urban district fitting for Virginia Beach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So all 3 buildings will be under construction at the exact same time. If I can ever figure out what the holdup with the Hampton Inn is (still haven't heard back), that will be 4 mid-highrise towers under construction at the same time. Now if Armada Hoffler ever manages to pull the trigger on, well, anything... That will be quite the building boom for Town Center. Dare I say transformative. We'll finally have a real downtown.

18 hours ago, BFG said:

Virginia Beach and Chesapeake's "downtowns" get high-rise apartments. SPQ gets 4-story buildings. Only in Hampton Roads. :lol:

Jokes aside, this is a really cool development and has the potential to take Town Center to the next level. Every time I think about it, I get frustrated that people voted down The Tide extension. This would've been an amazing transit-oriented development.

This is exactly the type of development we were sold for SPQ, and then, the bait and switch...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vdogg said:

So all 3 buildings will be under construction at the exact same time. If I can ever figure out what the holdup with the Hampton Inn is (still haven't heard back), that will be 4 mid-highrise towers under construction at the same time. Now if Armada Hoffler ever manages to pull the trigger on, well, anything... That will be quite the building boom for Town Center. Dare I say transformative. We'll finally have a real downtown.

This is exactly the type of development we were sold for SPQ, and then, the bait and switch...

I will say, in Portland, when we have had our building booms over the years I have lived here, it is pretty cool having more cranes than I can keep up with all over the city and downtown. It is really amazing to watch a city change rapidly like that. I've always imagined this would happen in VB with the Pembroke area when several large sites end up getting redeveloped around the same time and creating a skyline of towers and cranes.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Is this just the interior stores? Not the Target, exterior restaurants, etc.?

Well, given that all 3 buildings will be under construction simultaneously in the first phase, extensive renovations will need to be done to align the interior of the mall ( what remains of it) with the rest of the property. Sounds like they're taking a go big or go home approach. Wish Armada Hoffler had the same zeal...<_<

On 9/21/2021 at 11:48 PM, baobabs727 said:

Additionally, he dropped a little bomblet on me saying that there are exciting times ahead for “Pembroke Square (f.k.a. Pembroke Mall). Hint.”

^^^This little tidbit of information at the end combined with reports of people being notified to vacate the property by year's end gives me 99% confidence that "Pembroke Mall" is no more. It will be replaced by a lifestyle center that mirrors Town Center but the "mall" component is done.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

I'll laugh my @*s off if Pembroke proper winds up being bigger and denser than Town Center. Developed on their own dime, no PPP needed, and the city didn't have to beg them to do it. Just like it's done in normal cities.

Yea, but that development might not of happened without town center right next to it. The city planted the seed and thusly it’s beginning to root.

• Like 1