Pembroke Mall Revelopment (Ongoing-Phase 1)

urbanlife

19 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Is this just the interior stores? Not the Target, exterior restaurants, etc.?

I would assume since it was mentioned in the thread that outdoor stores will stay open.  But I didn’t hear it from my niece. 
 I have a friend who owns a hair salon there.  I’ll have to get the scoop from her but, man I feel for her.  

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 4:31 PM, vdogg said:

I'll laugh my @*s off if Pembroke proper winds up being bigger and denser than Town Center. Developed on their own dime, no PPP needed, and the city didn't have to beg them to do it. Just like it's done in normal cities.

I would hope so, it would more than double the size of the downtown, and would be an ideal spot for lots of residential buildings to go up at as well as being a major shopping district.

1 hour ago, mintscraft56 said:

Are there any renderings of the project yet? It would be cool to have a bigger VB town center/downtown. 

There's renderings for both apartment buildings further up thread, but not of anything else. I suspect we'll be getting the hotel renderings very shortly. Hopefully once Pembroke is built out we can drop the "Town Center" moniker.

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

There's renderings for both apartment buildings further up thread, but not of anything else. I suspect we'll be getting the hotel renderings very shortly. Hopefully once Pembroke is built out we can drop the "Town Center" moniker.

VB deserves a downtown proper. If Summit Pointe, Downtown Norfolk, and Town Center grow into bigger metros then just imagine what the popularity of having triple metros would be like.  and Ik we have the "7 cities" but what im talking about is 3 urban centers. Hopefully this project will not fall through.

Edited by mintscraft56

41 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

VB deserves a downtown proper. If Summit Pointe, Downtown Norfolk, and Town Center grow into bigger metros then just imagine what the popularity of having triple metros would be like.  and Ik we have the "7 cities" but what im talking about is 3 urban centers. Hopefully this project will not fall through.

The metro is the metro, there won't be 3 separate ones, but there can be 3 urban cores. I just got back from Austin. They had several urban cores.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vdogg said:

The metro is the metro, there won't be 3 separate ones, but there can be 3 urban cores. I just got back from Austin. They had several urban cores.

Atlanta's another city like that.

It's cool to see each city have a place where you can unwind after work or on a Friday night, but not be too far from your house. Honestly, Norfolk needs another small urban district somewhere between Wards Corner and OV/Bayview. I live close to the base and that's still 15-20 minutes from Ghent and downtown proper.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vdogg said:

The Domain, Downtown/Rainey/UT, The Hills plus not to mention the suburbs around have some urban areas of their own. I loved Austin, before I moved to Europe I lived about 45 min north of it for 4 years. 

It would be really cool for HR to have something similar but the key is creating their own little identity and feel in each. Not to compete with each other but to compliment one another. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtkr.com/news/pembroke-mall-to-undergo-200-million-dollar-renovation-interior-stores-left-scrambling-for-storefronts%3f_amp=true

"The $200 million renovations of the mall will begin this spring. The renovation will also include an area for events and greenspace"

I'm starting to like this plan more and more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:36 PM, BFG said:

Kinda bittersweet. I used to love getting a slice of pizza at Italian Delight, then burning my mom's money at Space Port across the corridor. That was 30+ years ago, and it seemed like the mall was on the decline even then.

Yeah, Pembroke mall was the mall I grew up in. The oldest in the region since 1966. Glad they are redeveloping it so it is never one of those awful abandoned malls, but a big part of my childhood is going to go.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Qdeathstar said:

I saw the renders for the retirement center and apartments I was wondering how the target and old navy were gonna be turned into stand alone stores that looked good… 

This was posted earlier in the thread. Based on the most recent description of the project, the massing is already dated but hopefully this gives you idea of how they will integrate the new buildings with the remaining stores  image.jpeg.d703eb09c46c5d82166438f5cac6824a.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mistermetaj said:

My only issue is that they don't really seem to be gridding the area up and connecting it to town center. I hope they figure that part out at some point so it feels like a big connected area.

It Would be pretty hard to do so with Independence and Virginia Beach Boulevard running the perimeter of the property. It might make more sense if they incorporated Pembroke East and the land where Princess Anne High is when it is replaced.