Litter and potholes.

gman430

I think this is a huge issue, it's prevalent even in and around some of the nicest neighborhoods in Greenville. Any ideas on what can be done to curb people from pitching trash out their window or allowing it to blow out the bed of their truck? What about giving reusable tarp like truck bed covers to people who take their own trash to the convenience centers? The roads out to Blackberry Valley are just gross.

I also think a great deal of the litter in the area comes from the trash pickup route where people have not bagged their trash properly or the big recycling bins are overfilled and things are blown away from the trucks as they transfer from bin to truckbed. Not much to be done their except encouraging people to properly bag and each community/neighborhood taking pride to keep their spaces clean. Is there a PalmettoPride presence in Greenville at all? I sure haven't seen it.

Better education, more enforcement, stricter laws, and more people volunteering to pick it up is what this area needs. I went up and down the road next to my neighborhood and picked up all of the litter lining it last week. 14 bags total. Got so sick of looking at it the past few months everyday. I finally just said screw it, I’ll pick it up myself seeing how everybody else is too lazy to. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, gman430 said:

Wonder if this includes sofas, mattresses and other home furnishings? In last few weeks I have seen tires, mattresses and a busted up end table on the side of the road. Just yesterday  I saw a sofa with a missing arm in the median of Hwy 25. It was there in the morning then in the evening when I returned. Whoever's truck it fell off of they apparently had no intention of picking it back up I guess. Awful.

Edited by vistatiger

On 3/8/2021 at 2:42 PM, gman430 said:

There seems to be an outbreak of the loss of personal responsibility and lack of concern for the greater good.  It seems to be "me" time around this country.  Looking forward to when this phase passes.

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

“It’s our belief that litter on our highways has reached a near epidemic proportion,” said Ted Creech, assistant director of public relations with SCDOT. “Our beautiful state’s highways are trashier than they’ve ever been.”

https://www.postandcourier.com/aikenstandard/news/local/south-carolinas-litter-problem-has-reached-near-epidemic-proportion-officials-say/article_9ae4fc24-7df9-11eb-8149-cb0713186aaf.html