New Bern Ave Corridor

nicholas

• 3 months later...

Drove down New Bern Ave to see what possibilities exist for higher densit once the BusRapidTransit is complete.  Lots of potential for sure.   The city of Raleigh should get the state to sell the DMV property for a low price and build affordable housing and a mixed use complex there.  

and I saw a sign right before 440 that said this way to I-495 which NCDOT needs to remove as that is now I-87!  again that sign is not pictured but I saw it. 

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8104.JPG

IMG_8105.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG

IMG_8107.JPG

IMG_8108.JPG

IMG_8109.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Could the Tower Shopping Center site boast a tower up to 20 stories in the future?  Maybe if this rezoning takes place.   The city should rezone this up to 20 and see what happens especially since it is on their new BRT line. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/08/16/raleigh-developer-atlas-stark-new-bern-project.html

A Raleigh developer is in the beginning stages of design and planning for a major mixed-use development along New Bern Avenue just outside the Beltline.  Atlas Stark owns seven parcels totaling almost 23 acres and plans to develop multifamily housing, offices, retail, restaurants and hospitality as growth comes to the key corridor, according to Managing Partner Gabriel Guillois.  Atlas Stark wants to rezone the lots from a 3-story height limit to a 20-story limit. The area is currently a shopping center with an inn, restaurants and surface parking lots. The company acquired the property, known as Tower Shopping Center, for $5.8 million in early 2021.  “The biggest thing there, with the city making the investment in the BRT (bus rapid transit), and investment they’re going to make in New Bern Avenue. Obviously we like the location on a major intersection on the Beltline,” Guillois said.""

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

this is could be a great new redevelopment in the future along the new BRT line. 

From the Biz Journal:

""The City of Raleigh will spend major dollars to buy the former headquarters for the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

The North Council of State on Tuesday approved the sale of the property on New Bern Avenue following the city's $20 million bid for the site, which totals about six acres between State and Tarboro streets.

The city will likely seek a development partner to revitalize the property, which sits along the future Bus Rapid Transit Line. No doubt affordable housing will be a key part of any new development.

"We want to be creative. We want to be thoughtful and we want the community to have a say," Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin told Axios. "And I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but it could be one of the most transformational projects we do as a city."

The state moved the DMV headquarters to Rocky Mount in 2020.""

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like an absolute no brainer to me. Borrow inspiration from the infill and density spurred by Charlotte’s Blue Line and scale from there. (Yes, I realize it’s somewhat apples to oranges - maybe like Honeycrisp to Granny Smith - but let’s aim high here.)

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 2:52 PM, Blue Ridge said:

Seems like an absolute no brainer to me. Borrow inspiration from the infill and density spurred by Charlotte’s Blue Line and scale from there. (Yes, I realize it’s somewhat apples to oranges - maybe like Honeycrisp to Granny Smith - but let’s aim high here.)

The City of Raleigh city council lacks them yes. This rezoning is not likely to pass this city council that largely only cares about a few wealth home owners versus the overall well-being of the 500,000 citizens of Raleigh. There's even one city council member that votes no to basically every single rezoning case involving large projects, regardless.  If it passes it would be a surprise. 

Edited by carolina1792

• 1 month later...

The city rezoned up to 726 acres along New Bern for the new BRT line.  From the Triangle Biz Journal

""The City of Raleigh is preparing a huge area along the first Bus Rapid Transit corridor for future development.

The City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to approve a transit overlay district to apply to 726 acres along New Bern Avenue. The TOD requires developers to focus on creating walkable communities and incentivizes affordable housing in new developments.

The rezoning covers 744 parcels. It is an effort by the city to increase housing and employment opportunities in the Bus Rapid Transit corridor.  

The council also approved new zonings for three other sites along New Bern Avenue linked to proposed developments. Council member Jonathan Melton said there is a developer ready to do an affordable housing project with a grocery store at 600 New Bern Ave. and 17 S. Swain St. The previous zoning was neighborhood mixed-use up to three stories. The new zoning allows up to five stories.

Four parcels at the northwest corner of New Bern Avenue and Raleigh Boulevard, which the city bought this past summer, were rezoned to increase the height limit to five stories for residential, commercial or mixed-use developments.

The property that contains Duplex Village, nine parcels along New Bern Avenue, Hawkins and Russ streets, was rezoned for up to five stories for residential mixed-use. The city owns the property.

City Council plans to consider more rezonings for the area in April.

The TOD does not apply to historic sites, state-owned sites, neighborhood conservation overlay districts and sites with a public request for removal from the rezoning.""

Raleigh preps hundreds of properties for potential development - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...