The litter bug

gman430

Geez if they want to live in a dump so bad simply find your nearest landfill and live there...It’s not hard to just not litter.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've certainly seen individuals throw trash out their window, but I think most trash (especially on interstates) comes from the garbage trucks themselves.  I've witnessed on several occasions plastic bags and paper flying out of garbage trucks while they're on the road.  Either way, the end result is the same and it looks horrible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:05 AM, gman430 said:

Based on what I've observed, I'd say a substantial amount of the litter is intentionally tossed.  Not sure what prevention can be done.  Supports my assertion that not all population growth is good growth.

• Thanks 1

we need public campaign like Texas.  The whole Don't Mess with Texas campaign is litter prevention program.   Part of it was aimed at people who put in trash in their truck beds and then it suddenly flies out during driving (I have seen that here).   We do need more awareness.  I see people throw fast food bags right out of the car windows so it is not all trash trucks.  

Home - Don't Mess With Texas

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

we need public campaign like Texas.  The whole Don't Mess with Texas campaign is litter prevention program.   Part of it was aimed at people who put in trash in their truck beds and then it suddenly flies out during driving (I have seen that here).   We do need more awareness.  I see people throw fast food bags right out of the car windows so it is not all trash trucks.  

Home - Don't Mess With Texas

I like this.  I see trash build-up become especially bad at interchanges.  I'd love to see such areas under video surveillance (with signage indicating such), and then to perhaps catch the offenders/culprits.  Such a revolting idea to know that we have miscreants abounding who would jettison their bojangles boxes and saliva-slickened chicken bones on to the grassy interchanges.  Like honestly, can they be put under the jail if caught?

I'd also like to change the "branding" of those picking up litter.  Assumption is often that they're offenders putting in their community service hours.  Need to make litter cleaning sexy, somehow.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Washington State used to have a law Chapter 70.93.100 RCW Dispositions: WASTE REDUCTION, RECYCLING, AND MODEL LITTER CONTROL ACT; repealed in 2003 which made not having a litter bag in your car a misdemeanor and $95 fine (rarely charged Are you legally required to have a litterbag in your car? - Seattle 911 — A Police and Crime Blog (seattlepi.com)). Yes it was a question on the driver's test (I believe the question asked what the penalty was for not having a litter bag in one's car).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I cannot, for the life of me, see the current NCGA pass legislation requiring tarps for pick-up trucks, that would thoroughly piss off their key the key voting bloc of passive jackasses.  

I have a truck and I don't throw trash in the back ever.  I have seen people do that but I have seen people toss bags out of their cars too.   

we need an educational campaign like Texas uses and start it way before the age of 16.  

35 Years of Texas Spirit - Don't Mess With Texas

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had a neighbor when I lived out in the county who used to collect the trash that she collected from her property along the state highway and she dumped it at Chick fil a (STILL using Styrofoam?! ); and convenience stores (beer bottles) every once-in-awhile.  It didn't make a difference but made her feel good.  Maybe we need to charge Chick-fil-a and other fast food restaurants a fee for regular trash collection (they will pass along the cost to the customers tossing the trash anyway); and start a bottle return program?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phillydog said:

I had a neighbor when I lived out in the county who used to collect the trash that she collected from her property along the state highway and she dumped it at Chick fil a (STILL using Styrofoam?! ); and convenience stores (beer bottles) every once-in-awhile.  It didn't make a difference but made her feel good.  Maybe we need to charge Chick-fil-a and other fast food restaurants a fee for regular trash collection (they will pass along the cost to the customers tossing the trash anyway); and start a bottle return program?  

In this context, Bojangles customers are the worst actually, at least here in Charlotte.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Now the state is getting NC born country star Luke Combs involved in some PSA

Country music star Luke Combs steps in to fight litter in NC — and you can help – FOX 46 Charlotte

That's a good step.  Can we also get J Cole to tell people not to trash the homestead?  Gonna need a cross-section of musical styles for this campaign.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...