Union Bleachery mixed use development.

gman430

240 acres at the intersection of Old Buncombe Road and West Blue Ridge Drive, also known as State Highway 253, less than three miles from the city’s center. 

Warhaft would act as the overall master developer for what would be a planned development that, as proposed, would include a mix of office, retail, restaurant, hotel, townhouses and apartments. It would also include 55 acres of open space and up to 10 miles of new multiuse trails surrounding the project and connecting to the nearby Swamp Rabbit Trail.

Warhaft’s initial plans call for up to 3.5 million square-feet of office space, a 200-room hotel and up to 2,000 new apartment and townhouse units. He said he is in discussion with a major life sciences company that may locate on up to 500,000 square-feet within the development. 

The site itself would have its own high-density urban core and a secondary town-center style section with a proposed grocery store and ground-level retail.

Buildings closest to the edge of the development would be limited to 55 feet in height and step up closer to the development’s core, similar to how the Greenville County Square redevelopment project is designed.

It would include at least five main entrances on Brooks Avenue, Old Buncombe Road and State Highway 253, with at least two secondary entrances. The entire development would be constructed as a transit oriented development with bike and pedestrian access in mind. A boulevard would run throughout, creating another main thoroughfare for drivers to bypass the intersection of Old Buncombe Road and Highway 253 if needed.

But those plans are preliminary. At an initial public hearing in February, Warhaft told council members they would get multiple bites of the apple when it came to design approvals. Due to its massive scope, the project timeline could be as long as 20 years and include six to eight different phases, according to an initial site plan.

More info: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/union-bleachery-redevelopment-would-transform-san-souci-but-superfund-site-is-a-challenge/article_1aa345ce-7d5f-11eb-8638-73792eecaba7.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Nothing in Greenville ever starts on time if at all. You can thank our wonderful NIMBY city council members for this. 

Once the approvals have been given, the council has nothing to do with it, IF there were approvals even needed in the first place. Life is not predictable. It is no different anywhere else either. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Nothing in Greenville ever starts on time if at all. You can thank our wonderful NIMBY city council members for this. 

Thankfully, I don’t think that property is inside the city limits of Greenville. 

https://buildout-production.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/1979230/4f4e11455f21cc0d3ce240f4f617bd1a95efb54a/upload.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3B filename%3D"Blue_Ridge___Old_Buncome_Rd_On_the_Trail_Brochure.pdf"&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAUY3P3SALWUJGJYOH%2F20210724%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210724T121332Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEAwaCXVzLWVhc3QtMSJHMEUCIGYYrK%2BdltFuqu5m9Wejkcy%2FKYTOp9dWM8VeQdsOEvJ4AiEAjB1dssIVPcX8jIPE9Ugz7vPyCn8gH6LAb%2FtduA%2FcWA0q%2BgMIFBAAGgwzMjgyNjI3MTc0NjMiDHHqCl9nXRSZ%2B%2BTjPyrXA0Mt45B7FhOimfifJCpJkTT0iQk0CNmZUgu5nFBO0sPhw2ikLH9f9B5NfZCe6JMxWYYZ%2F1I%2FlNpO1dX2FlL9IQBD91ggt1kZR8RA8xdyefnRIEYaKCBB%2BipodOcNtxvOkao23159TQlLhabieFi2R288mVShSBGJ%2FVbqsf2zHj10eeW9q7yHgYxWJ1ePJFN8H%2BhWvzl0pPqbCW6WDj86flVIPqtlkMvHzKkEC8ckkNuup%2B5lz0hlYq9X0OidJkiePzmj4Vb7cctABzjefCaASWuwct%2Bt8Mk5lu6RZy%2Bam%2Bjnc1yqEL2njsJYohudFzA0GuEZHLFY4BD3pA8GkT37LuO0x8Vq%2FefLmc%2BGY%2FGGqSRXSPSeRCjyq1vBiwXskBga2R2SZ6vQCshZ2PftQsehyPqwvbLM6sOmUuU49kaCo2nNhlWOQKCBd3331vq%2B9%2BlVSmVld1s%2FX%2BR%2BK0ETCTHEpjD5jZVPiud88xEz54%2FzFrtNjPFT0fSiVqQBdDSclmmREtTzG0b3dAj9rGFHofsBPM8w2hp7JHHRXtFWXJXSME88gfmZoIJgeaweQBw9H%2FYVbvD69RbQeUKTS82U4VxX81OH1Uv3u%2FTJlhzWSg6ZkLGhD7WC5n092DDS6%2B%2BHBjqlASHJ4OCXZHirxxS5%2FrNYFw9qYi6eedkKvMWVbze4r0AdWuGDQ%2BXL7ZeiHFif6jsnRDEk%2FmcXap6dLyJUttjzDW3rvFHNKVDgTb72NajcEAJpdgULVIvOfbk27Z13twLz3eVyNsSh0mwAtRsgOVQhXzb%2FEGwR5N4aCuwzFVZEkInDU%2Bvvrfg3c5V91Ee80t3uV%2F9HNZMee2Z1Wpgl8rHVTaYhfAhphQ%3D%3D&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=b8d4a228f4faca9dc95fd99f9f1bbdd28c82c6358c7ac680823ba20896759370

25 minutes ago, gman430 said:

https://buildout-production.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/1979230/4f4e11455f21cc0d3ce240f4f617bd1a95efb54a/upload.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3B filename%3D"Blue_Ridge___Old_Buncome_Rd_On_the_Trail_Brochure.pdf"&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAUY3P3SALWUJGJYOH%2F20210724%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210724T121332Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEAwaCXVzLWVhc3QtMSJHMEUCIGYYrK%2BdltFuqu5m9Wejkcy%2FKYTOp9dWM8VeQdsOEvJ4AiEAjB1dssIVPcX8jIPE9Ugz7vPyCn8gH6LAb%2FtduA%2FcWA0q%2BgMIFBAAGgwzMjgyNjI3MTc0NjMiDHHqCl9nXRSZ%2B%2BTjPyrXA0Mt45B7FhOimfifJCpJkTT0iQk0CNmZUgu5nFBO0sPhw2ikLH9f9B5NfZCe6JMxWYYZ%2F1I%2FlNpO1dX2FlL9IQBD91ggt1kZR8RA8xdyefnRIEYaKCBB%2BipodOcNtxvOkao23159TQlLhabieFi2R288mVShSBGJ%2FVbqsf2zHj10eeW9q7yHgYxWJ1ePJFN8H%2BhWvzl0pPqbCW6WDj86flVIPqtlkMvHzKkEC8ckkNuup%2B5lz0hlYq9X0OidJkiePzmj4Vb7cctABzjefCaASWuwct%2Bt8Mk5lu6RZy%2Bam%2Bjnc1yqEL2njsJYohudFzA0GuEZHLFY4BD3pA8GkT37LuO0x8Vq%2FefLmc%2BGY%2FGGqSRXSPSeRCjyq1vBiwXskBga2R2SZ6vQCshZ2PftQsehyPqwvbLM6sOmUuU49kaCo2nNhlWOQKCBd3331vq%2B9%2BlVSmVld1s%2FX%2BR%2BK0ETCTHEpjD5jZVPiud88xEz54%2FzFrtNjPFT0fSiVqQBdDSclmmREtTzG0b3dAj9rGFHofsBPM8w2hp7JHHRXtFWXJXSME88gfmZoIJgeaweQBw9H%2FYVbvD69RbQeUKTS82U4VxX81OH1Uv3u%2FTJlhzWSg6ZkLGhD7WC5n092DDS6%2B%2BHBjqlASHJ4OCXZHirxxS5%2FrNYFw9qYi6eedkKvMWVbze4r0AdWuGDQ%2BXL7ZeiHFif6jsnRDEk%2FmcXap6dLyJUttjzDW3rvFHNKVDgTb72NajcEAJpdgULVIvOfbk27Z13twLz3eVyNsSh0mwAtRsgOVQhXzb%2FEGwR5N4aCuwzFVZEkInDU%2Bvvrfg3c5V91Ee80t3uV%2F9HNZMee2Z1Wpgl8rHVTaYhfAhphQ%3D%3D&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=b8d4a228f4faca9dc95fd99f9f1bbdd28c82c6358c7ac680823ba20896759370

Some kind of foreign language? Seriously, the link does not work. 

• 1 month later...

A large section of the former Union Bleachery property in Greenville County’s Sans Souci community has been delisted as a Superfund site by the Environmental Protection Agency as developers work toward revitalizing the largely abandoned property on the edge of Greenville’s downtown next to the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

It would be one of the largest redevelopment projects in the county over the next decade. 

About 150 acres of the 259-acre U.S. Finishing/Cone Mills Superfund site was delisted, according to the Federal Register. That portion includes much of the vacant and forested land that surrounds the former mill buildings, but not the building itself, which remains designated as a polluted site.

“On the Trail,” the project’s name, would include up to 3.5 million square-feet of office space, a 200-room hotel and up to 2,000 new apartment and townhouse units, as well as a mix of retail and restaurants, all located near the Swamp Rabbit Trail bordered by Old Buncombe Road and State 253.

A dozen or more high-rise buildings might be built in an urban core of the project, with scaled down buildings located closer to the existing mill village houses.

Warhaft said he hopes to break ground on the project in early 2022.

726F5723-BEA3-40F2-910D-F4730CC25109.jpeg

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

A large section of the former Union Bleachery property in Greenville County’s Sans Souci community has been delisted as a Superfund site by the Environmental Protection Agency as developers work toward revitalizing the largely abandoned property on the edge of Greenville’s downtown next to the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

It would be one of the largest redevelopment projects in the county over the next decade. 

About 150 acres of the 259-acre U.S. Finishing/Cone Mills Superfund site was delisted, according to the Federal Register. That portion includes much of the vacant and forested land that surrounds the former mill buildings, but not the building itself, which remains designated as a polluted site.

“On the Trail,” the project’s name, would include up to 3.5 million square-feet of office space, a 200-room hotel and up to 2,000 new apartment and townhouse units, as well as a mix of retail and restaurants, all located near the Swamp Rabbit Trail bordered by Old Buncombe Road and State 253.

A dozen or more high-rise buildings might be built in an urban core of the project, with scaled down buildings located closer to the existing mill village houses.

61433fe2ed8a9.image.jpg

download (1).jpeg

Edited by GVLover

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

4 hours ago, GVLover said:

61433fe2ed8a9.image.jpg

:shok:

Shock and Awe! I realize this is conceptual but this is like a whole 'nother downtown area. I'm pretty sure it is not in the city limits, correct? Think about how this and Bridge Way in Mauldin would affect the metro - there would be 3 urban downtown like nodes. That is pretty crazy to think about.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Shock and Awe! I realize this is conceptual but this is like a whole 'nother downtown area. I'm pretty sure it is not in the city limits, correct? Think about how this and Bridge Way in Mauldin would affect the metro - there would be 3 urban downtown like nodes. That is pretty crazy to think about.

I appreciate their visioning exercise and ambitious goals. It looks like a very impressive development. However, I'm not convinced that this area of the county has the demand to see this built out anywhere close to the vision. I'd like to be proven wrong, as the trail holds so much potential as a catalyst for development. 

I struggle to take comments about Bridgeway Station seriously. -_-

52 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Don’t forget about County Square also. :D If you build it they will come. They will all come. 

17 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I appreciate their visioning exercise and ambitious goals. It looks like a very impressive development. However, I'm not convinced that this area of the county has the demand to see this built out anywhere close to the vision. I'd like to be proven wrong, as the trail holds so much potential as a catalyst for development. 

I struggle to take comments about Bridgeway Station seriously. -_-

Why? Because it’s actually getting built with space getting leased unlike all of these other proposed projects? Just because it’s not in the utopia of the City of Greenville doesn’t mean you have to hate it. Don’t get mad at Hughes for building what he promised. Get mad at Haywood Mall, Verdae, Magnolia Park, etc for not building what they promised. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Why? Because it’s actually getting built with space getting leased unlike all of these other proposed projects? Just because it’s not in the utopia of the City of Greenville doesn’t mean you have to hate it. Don’t get mad at Hughes for building what he promised. Get mad at Haywood Mall, Verdae, Magnolia Park, etc for not building what they promised. 

Speaking personally, I hate it because it looks like someone went to Florence, smoked crack, and then tried to recreate it by building a shopping mall. I know Phil Hughes has some weird Italian thing but this is taking it a little far. Why are the trying to replicate a ruin? I’m fairly certain this will end up looking more like a Tanger outlet mall but hey, go nuts

• Like 1

• 3 months later...