North Edgehill Gardens (8 & 6 stories), 550 residential units, 200 hotel rooms, 390,000 sq. ft. office space, 15,000 sq. ft. retail/restaurant space, 6.8 acres, Beaman Motors Hawkins St. site

markhollin

• 2 months later...

• markhollin changed the title to North Edgehill Gardens (10 stories, 8 stories, 7 stories, 5 stories), 540 residential units, 500 hotel rooms, 160,000 sq. ft. office space, 50,000 sq. t. retail/restaurant space, 6.8 acres, Beaman Motors Hawkins St. site

Am I understanding the image correctly that there is a curb cut on 12th?  If so, I don’t think there is one currently.

That is right in the curve of 12th and does not seem to be a great spot for ingress and egress.  Novel does not have a curb cut on that stretch as I recall. Does something like that require approval?  

thx. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Looking at the plans for Novel Edgehill, there is a curb cut onto 12th Ave. While agree that it does not seem like an ideal location, it does appear that the curb cut would align with Novel Edgehill's. Kimley Horn being involved with both projects may help as well as they are doing the site layout for both projects. 

image.png.38271f6f6fbc078602790abbe973fe60.png

I do feel like Hawkins and 12th Ave will need a traffic signal at it with both of these larger developments going in. Placing the traffic signal at the street crossing will provide better pedestrian safety (and additional crosswalks that will be desperately needed) as well as slow the traffic in front of both of these garage entrances.

There is so much to really love in this project. The car loop doesn't bother me as much here as it appears more like a voonerf than a drive lane. plus the inclusion of the pedestrian alley between buildings B and D is really nice. The confusing part of the renders to me is the non-descript boxes on top of the defined buildings. This is prolly added height versus "by-right", but it feels like maybe the project team isn't sure about the added height and it could be scrapped quickly if Planning doesn't go for it. I Also think Building B should be 10 stories as well. I like the step down to 5 and 6 along Hawkins to work with the smaller buildings across Hawkins and beyond into the neighborhood.

The overall aesthetic of the buildings are quite nice as well. 

I think the nondescript boxes are the included office space. Reading through the public comments on this(which is how I found it), they had to quickly put this plan together to submit in time for the deadline. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

I think the nondescript boxes are the included office space. Reading through the public comments on this(which is how I found it), they had to quickly put this plan together to submit in time for the deadline. 

Interesting. I would be willing to bet they eventually flip the offices to underneath the residential.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw on Facebook that there's a community meeting scheduled for Tuesday at the Midtown Hills Police precinct to show opposition to the project based on the W. E. Quarry. According to the flyer posted, the family never gave their approval to use his name for this project. Obviously, this likely won't change anything, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

200308920_10223227690778556_3182859363358454214_n.thumb.jpg.ca588a6698d61821f186e0c349cb90df.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Well if the name is all they can oppose.. who really cares. Knowing them they will just name it after Lee Beaman! This is about the biggest bunch of petty BS I have ever see in my life. The family should feel honored to have another park in his name and not insulted.... or the developers can find someone of the same name and say its named after him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Opposing the project? Or just the name of the park? Screwy messaging!

I have a feeling, can't say for certain, that they likely oppose the project in the guise of opposing the name of the park area. The Facebook post I got this from made it sound as though the opposition came from the fact that it wasn't a public park, but was on private property. I don't want to speak for the family, but to me, anything that would bring attention to Mr. Edmondson would be good for his legacy, and could open the eyes of a new generation to his many works.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well if the name is all they can oppose.. who really cares. Knowing them they will just name it after Lee Beaman! This is about the biggest bunch of petty BS I have ever see in my life. The family should feel honored to have another park in his name and not insulted.... or the developers can find someone of the same name and say its named after him.

Or they just take the name off and build as designed. Problem solved. 

Im also thinking that this is general opposition to the project in general and not really about the park. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Back to the bridge...  I couldn't tell from the pics or the brief mention of the "High Line" where this bridge will go.  Will it sit on top of the 12th Ave S overpass?

My understanding is that the “bridge” is simply an enhancement project for the sidewalks of the current overpass. I think it’s quite a stretch that they compare what’s proposed to NYC’s High Line.

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

My understanding is that the “bridge” is simply an enhancement project for the sidewalks of the current overpass. I think it’s quite a stretch that they compare what’s proposed to NYC’s High Line.

Quite a stretch indeed!  How do you turn a 4' strip of crumbling concrete on each side of heavily used road into a High Line?  Making it a boardwalk won't do it.

On the positive side, I think a High Line type bridge would be a huge step forward in connecting The Gulch with the growing Edgehill area and 12 South.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Should we add this project to the overall list of resi projects potentially cancelled due to planning, council members, or residents? We are now approaching 1,500 units in 8th/12th/WeHo alone... 

Not yet. We don’t even have the Planning Staff recommendation yet. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • markhollin changed the title to North Edgehill Gardens (8 & 6 stories), 550 residential units, 200 hotel rooms, 390,000 sq. ft. office space, 15,000 sq. ft. retail/restaurant space, 6.8 acres, Beaman Motors Hawkins St. site
11 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Stix 2.0! 

Everyone breath…

:tw_joy: 

I’m trying my hardest to take your advice!! But it’s baffling me as to why there’s any reason for all the fears about height!! Maybe someone knows more then I do, but this is practically in downtown, right across the interstate from the approved 38 stories Buckingham tower and close to the 21 story Albion under construction. What is it with the city and the fears they have building tall!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

I’m trying my hardest to take your advice!! But it’s baffling me as to why there’s any reason for all the fears about height!! Maybe someone knows more then I do, but this is practically in downtown, right across the interstate from the approved 38 stories Buckingham tower and close to the 21 story Albion under construction. What is it with the city and the fears they have building tall!!!

You can thank the NIMBYs in the neighborhood and outdated zoning policy that calls for a maximum of 5 stories in this area. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1