North Edgehill Gardens (8 & 6 stories), 550 residential units, 200 hotel rooms, 390,000 sq. ft. office space, 15,000 sq. ft. retail/restaurant space, 6.8 acres, Beaman Motors Hawkins St. site

markhollin

From a recent NP article...

For the second time, North Edgehill Commons has seen a slight reduction in scale. It is now proposed to offer three eight-story buildings and two six-floors buildings. The buildings will feature 550 residential units, about 390,000 square feet of office space, a hotel with 200 rooms, 15,000 square feet of retail and some green space.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Planning staff is recommending disapproval of this project by the Planning Commission at the upcoming meeting on August 26th, unless the southern most buildings are reduced to 5 stories(for building C, the southern edge along Hawkins Street would need to be reduced to 5 stories instead of 8).  

Analysis starts on page 94 of this document: https://www.nashville.gov/sites/default/files/2021-08/210826sr.pdf

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

On 8/20/2021 at 11:07 PM, downtownresident said:

Planning staff is recommending disapproval of this project by the Planning Commission at the upcoming meeting on August 26th, unless the southern most buildings are reduced to 5 stories(for building C, the southern edge along Hawkins Street would need to be reduced to 5 stories instead of 8).  

Analysis starts on page 94 of this document: https://www.nashville.gov/sites/default/files/2021-08/210826sr.pdf

Thanks for sharing. While disappointing, it is a 1-story loss for two buildings and a partial 3-story loss for the third (Building C). My guess is when they say portions of C to be limited to 5 stories, they would want to see a 15'-0" minimum setback above 5 floors. 

I do find it frustrating that they want to limit E and D to 5 stories because that just tells me that the church parcel would be capped at 5 stories. While I think 5 stories is a great transition height we don't need a block and a half of height transition, hence my map further up thread about my height thoughts. 

That all being said, I do like the conditions from the transportation side

image.png.1d44e470d1e338e0fd1881e4e2cd3fe6.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Hackberrys are actually considered junk trees I think although I have one in my backyard that is probably a 100 years old, however when it falls, it will not fall on the house.

Oh I know. We had one in our neighborhood in East Nashville that would leave terrible sap deposits all over my car. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Two_wheels said:

Anybody get a chance to see the planning commission discussion last night? They were presenting on either an 8 story or 9 story option. 

I watched part of the deliberation last night. Didn’t see the vote. If it passed, which looked pretty likely, it will be the 8 story version. 

6 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I have no idea why this project has so much public backlash. 

image.thumb.png.11192edd3d9e7a04feefb0f79152c8d0.pngimage.thumb.png.5d8c812d1293fa8d84e6bdfdf9934b6e.png

The backlash is coming from NIMBYs who live in the HPRs near the site. I get the traffic concerns, but that can be dealt with through traffic calming and other measures. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

my complaint is the facade is ugly. 

We are in a growing city with big affordability/gentrification issues... Nashville will never be affordable and you will be priced out of your neighborhood if you are denying 9 story buildings over height/traffic concerns. 

I think some of the loudest people on this one that I have experienced are not the ones with any concern on being priced out of the neighborhood. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Two_wheels said:

I think some of the loudest people on this one that I have experienced are not the ones with any concern on being priced out of the neighborhood. 

16 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Yep. They’re the people who priced the original residents out of the neighborhood. 

Fair. I guess my angst is directed more towards councilmembers.