Interesting Things Happening Elsewhere

Broward County and the City of Fort Lauderdale are proposing a unique replacement for their outdated county services building (located in a 1940’s former Burdines)/city hall.

It’s certainly different and would be a needed jumpstart to a faded neighborhood, but the cost gives one pause.

What IS interesting is that it is another Florida city looking at ways to move forward into the 21st century.

Just about all of the state’s biggest cities are now participating- Jax, for example,  is aggressively moving ahead with great reuses of historic downtown buildings at last and the city’s much-lauded neighborhood organizations have realized a vital downtown is an important part of their success.

About the only holdout is Orlando, which once spurred the renaissance of moribund downtowns around the state. Now, with its DINO mayor who totally abandoned the history of getting all of his city involved in its growth and turned governance over to developers building for their own max profit, is now an adventure in mostly meh mid-rise construction.

It will be interesting to see what the next steps are for Broward/FLL. Unlike Orlando, at least they’re trying:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/editorials/fl-op-edit-ss-prem-fort-lauderdale-broward-government-center-20210319-vu3hksti5bdkpmujk7wzptabde-story.html

From The Sun-Sentinel 
Edited by spenser1058

• 8 months later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About the only holdout is Orlando, which once spurred the renaissance of moribund downtowns around the state. Now, with its DINO mayor who totally abandoned the history of getting all of his city involved in its growth and turned governance over to developers building for their own max profit, is now an adventure in mostly meh mid-rise construction.

I understand your opinion, but all the same, I myself sincerely believe that the city is not so much an infrastructure as the people who inhabit it. It so happened that young people often began to migrate to other states. They get to know each other via the internet as easily as I say hello to my colleagues in the office every morning. Then we see their joyful joint photos from somewhere in NY or Miami(