In-town Grocery Stores

westsider28

• 3 weeks later...

15 hours ago, Spartan said:

I hope Piggly Wiggly can make it work.

I'm not convinced of the market viability of a downtown grocer just yet. Get a few thousand more apartments downtown, then definitely.

I think there will be a bit of a marketing challenge for Piggly Wiggly here- to get folks in these new downtown apartments and such that are  a mile or so from South Church Plaza to think of this store as downtown, and to realize that it's closer than going to the Eastside or Westside, or Pinewood.  I suspect most people are creatures of habit when it comes to their grocery shopping.  

I definitely want Piggly Wiggly to work - it's close to me and my plan is for it to become my primary grocery.  

16 hours ago, Spartan said:

I hope Piggly Wiggly can make it work.

I'm not convinced of the market viability of a downtown grocer just yet. Get a few thousand more apartments downtown, then definitely.

Well, there's Bon Haven that's now leasing, The Charles,  with umpteen dozen apartments coming on line shortly,  the development on Kennedy at Union, and the Robert Smalls village on Wofford Street.  If I'm P-W, I'd be encouraged.  

Edited by roads-scholar

1 hour ago, spartanburgh said:

I don't think the volume of business will be the problem. I think that the South side will rob the store blind and it will be forced to close 

due to the amount of pilferage. 

I think you have a point but, if the store is managed, "shrinkage" the term that's used in the industry for theft, can be minimized.   P-W is receiving significant incentives in the form of loans from the city and the nonprofit Mary Black Foundation to make this thing work.  Let's hope it does.  

3 hours ago, spartanburgh said:

I don't think the volume of business will be the problem. I think that the South side will rob the store blind and it will be forced to close 

due to the amount of pilferage. 

I know that's the perception as to why the Sav-a-lot closed, though I think it's inaccurate.  I get the crime reports every month for that area, and the crime rate is actually pretty low.  

That's a statistic that you have to be careful with. Not many people are going to report a stolen ham or bottle of this or that.  They want even

know when its happening.  They slow bleed the stores to death.  Inventory is done and its like, what? I am hopeful that there will be some type

of process that will help control this problem and the store will be successful,  but I'll believe it when its been tested with time. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Blue Moon Bodega is now open!  It's a soft-opening this week, with limited hours.  They're still putting the finishing touches on their deli line, wine cellar, and outdoor patio.  Hope it's well-supported.  Now we need a safe pedestrian crossing of Daniel Morgan there for residents of The Charles who will likely frequent the business.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:10 PM, westsider28 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Blue Moon Bodega is now open!  It's a soft-opening this week, with limited hours.  They're still putting the finishing touches on their deli line, wine cellar, and outdoor patio.  Hope it's well-supported.  Now we need a safe pedestrian crossing of Daniel Morgan there for residents of The Charles who will likely frequent the business.

It seems they are getting at the very least a crosswalk to help people make it over more easily. It will be looked at more closely on Friday, I believe. 

Also - isn't Daniel Morgan getting a dedicated bike lane also? I think I saw a plan of that somewhere, most likely here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1