Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

• 2 weeks later...

Mother Teresa came to Charlotte in 1996 and appeared at the Coliseum on Tyvola with many others seeking to be seen with her and faithful followers. She announced at that visit that her Sisters for Missionaries of Charity would have a house convent here and it was in Cherry on Baldwin or Torrence, cannot recall which at this point. In addition to being a needful area there were other reasons why Cherry was chosen (of course). They have been gone from there for some time as the neighborhood changed around and under them. Intertoobz says Glenn Street near Central and Eastway.

• Like 2

From the Biz Journal 

""Charlotte City Council yesterday unanimously approved $35 million worth of incentives for a planned $1.5 billion, Atrium Health-anchored medical school and innovation district.  Next month, Mecklenburg County will decide whether to support a companion package in the range of $40 million for the same project.  Council spent two hours sifting through an updated presentation on the incentives proposal; a public forum featuring speakers mostly advocating for union labor, wages and apprenticeships; and questions and comments by each council member preceding the 11-0 vote.""

Atrium-Wake Forest medical school district secures city funds - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am having trouble understanding the scale/size of this building.  Does it seem like it might be tight housing a school of medicine, school of business, school for professional studies, and a college of health sciences?  Seems like it might be tight to me. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I am having trouble understanding the scale/size of this building.  Does it seem like it might be tight housing a school of medicine, school of business, school for professional studies, and a college of health sciences?  Seems like it might be tight to me. 

Not for a tower of approximately 26 stories.  

• Like 2

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article256590551.html

Howard Levine is a fantastic philanthropist.

Atrium Health’s Charlotte medical school building gets a name — and $25 million donation BY HANNAH SMOOT UPDATED DECEMBER 14, 2021 4:47 PM

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article256590551.html#storylink=cpy

image.thumb.png.b541176ed6ed5c2ef8bfe36c268532cc.png

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

#1 - Is this meant to be an elite school of medicine?  Or that's not in the plans?

#2 - Can this be the Howard Levine "Charlotte" School of Medicine?  Can the city be worked into this somehow?  

#3 - I'm still totally confused by "Innovation District."  No idea how they plan to action that.  You just designate, and then someone innovates?  Couldn't every innovative company in Charlotte call the space they occupy an innovation district?  Honeywell has research teams conducting experiments and developing use cases around Quantum Computing, and they do this in partnership with other companies like JPM and I'm sure many others.  Can we approach Honeywell about an Uptown Innovation District focused on Advanced Computing?

#4 - Is the area around the medical school being designed to look "urban-collegial," or more like a corporate office park?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, RANYC said:

#1 - Is this meant to be an elite school of medicine?  Or that's not in the plans?

#2 - Can this be the Howard Levine "Charlotte" School of Medicine?  Can the city be worked into this somehow?  

#3 - I'm still totally confused by "Innovation District."  No idea how they plan to action that.  You just designate, and then someone innovates?  Couldn't every innovative company in Charlotte call the space they occupy an innovation district?  Honeywell has research teams conducting experiments and developing use cases around Quantum Computing, and they do this in partnership with other companies like JPM and I'm sure many others.  Can we approach Honeywell about an Uptown Innovation District focused on Advanced Computing?

#4 - Is the area around the medical school being designed to look "urban-collegial," or more like a corporate office park?

I am confused by your questions? What do you mean is this meant to be an elite school of medicine? Elite can mean a number of things. Atrium is a top tier teaching hospital already but is missing the heavy research function Duke has for example. The innovation district is their name for a medical research district with a focus on Lab space and medical research companies moving in. The office/lab space and partnership opportunities will be focused on that. 

This is a private project between Atrium Health and Wake Forest. The UNC School system will not be involved. The City is involved in some capacity, but I would think they would have to fund 100's of millions to have it be the Charlotte School of Medicine. 

For #4, the renderings are up top, so you be the judge. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I am confused by your questions? What do you mean is this meant to be an elite school of medicine? Elite can mean a number of things. Atrium is a top tier teaching hospital already but is missing the heavy research function Duke has for example. The innovation district is their name for a medical research district with a focus on Lab space and medical research companies moving in. The office/lab space and partnership opportunities will be focused on that. 

This is a private project between Atrium Health and Wake Forest. The UNC School system will not be involved. The City is involved in some capacity, but I would think they would have to fund 100's of millions to have it be the Charlotte School of Medicine. 

For #4, the renderings are up top, so you be the judge. 

Sorry to confuse you.  Someone else private messaged me answers to my questions.  Thanks.

medical schools get ranked...there are varying standards of acceptance in consideration of things like prior academic history and MCAT scores and acceptance rate, etc.  was merely a question asking for someone in the know to comment on whether the plan for this school included pursuing top-ranked status given its research-orientation.   Having said that, some might argue that all accredited medical schools are elite given commonplace rigor and the fact that anyone seriously pursuing such credentials is like top-notched academically.

I know UNCC isn't involved.  Simply asking about including the city's name somewhere in the medical school name given the city (and county) is a huge contributor.  We're giving 35+ million, can Charlotte be alongside Howard Levine in the way that St. Louis has its name in its School of Medicine.

Renderings are hard to make out in terms of what's innovation district versus what's academic-institutional.  

Don't feel you need to give me an answer to anything I've asked or posted which has confused you.:tw_joy:

Edited by RANYC
  • Confused 1