Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

as a graduate of two UNC system institutions I say to UNC :  you had your chance and I don't see this happening.  The state would never approve it nor should they at this point.  UNC system was trying to protect their med school at Chapel Hill at all cost.   After multiple attempts to get them to open a branch in Charlotte all rebuffed.  Too little too late. Sorry Charlie! Bye Felicia! Well they can have it.   Bring on Wake Forest! 

The addition of this Med-school will breed competition. I would not be surprised if a second major teaching hospital is established here in the next 5 years.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 5:49 PM, KJHburg said:

as a graduate of two UNC system institutions I say to UNC :  you had your chance and I don't see this happening.  The state would never approve it nor should they at this point.  UNC system was trying to protect their med school at Chapel Hill at all cost.   After multiple attempts to get them to open a branch in Charlotte all rebuffed.  Too little too late. Sorry Charlie! Bye Felicia! Well they can have it.   Bring on Wake Forest! 

Novant and UNC Health have already signed on for this medical school to happen in November 2020.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/19/novant-unc-health-agreement-school-presbyterian.html

I've seen the site plans that have long been filed with the City of Charlotte Planning Department in late 2020.

https://news.unchealthcare.org/2021/07/unc-school-of-medicine-novant-health-charlotte-campus-receives-positive-evaluation-from-the-liaison-committee-on-medical-education/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article252751068.html

It looks like it's moving forward as scheduled

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kayman said:

Novant and UNC Health have already signed on for this medical school to happen in November 2020.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/19/novant-unc-health-agreement-school-presbyterian.html

I've seen the site plans that have long been filed with the City of Charlotte Planning Department in late 2020.

https://news.unchealthcare.org/2021/07/unc-school-of-medicine-novant-health-charlotte-campus-receives-positive-evaluation-from-the-liaison-committee-on-medical-education/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article252751068.html

It looks like it's moving forward as scheduled

It is basically where 3rd and 4th students from UNC come to Charlotte now at Novant.  They did this for many years at Atrium hospitals. It is just a local replacement.  It is not a full on medical school.   They needed another partner after Atrium Charlotte Meck Health Authority for the past 20 plus years asked them about opening a full fledge medical school here.  They never were interested.   But this is not a medical school.  It is where 3rd and 4th year students get real world experience.    But there is no Medical degree that will say Novant UNC in Charlotte.  However there will be a Medical degree that will see Atrium Wake Forest Charlotte.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It is basically where 3rd and 4th students from UNC come to Charlotte now at Novant.  They did this for many years at Atrium hospitals. It is just a local replacement.  It is not a full on medical school.   They needed another partner after Atrium Charlotte Meck Health Authority for the past 20 plus years asked them about opening a full fledge medical school here.  They never were interested.   But this is not a medical school.  It is where 3rd and 4th year students get real world experience.    But there is no Medical degree that will say Novant UNC in Charlotte.  However there will be a Medical degree that will see Atrium Wake Forest Charlotte.  

Charlotte is too damn big to have just one medical school. There's practically no other metro in the US this size with only one medical school.  Once this oldheads who want to maintain status quo are gone from the UNC will be singing a different tune.  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 9:37 AM, KJHburg said:

We went over 100 years without a medical school.  This was the first med school in Charlotte and it closed a few years later.  It is now the Settlers Place condos at N College and 6th. 

https://www.cmstory.org/exhibits/turn-20th-century-life-charlotte-1900-1910-schools/north-carolina-medical-college

and perhaps when Atrium Wake Forest starts pumping out doctors left and right then UNC will reevaluate.   I have followed this discussion for 20-30 years and there was talk years ago and jointly developed a full on med school here with UNC Charlotte but it again never happened.  

Charlotte hasn't been over 3M residents until recently, so contextualizing the history of prior medical schools in the area in a non-sequitir.  Charlotte in 2021 is too big of a region for it not to have at least 2 medical schools and 2 teaching hospitals/Level 1 trauma center emergency rooms to handle catastrophic emergencies.

Under current circumstances, Carolinas Medical Center-Main aka the hospital in Dilworth would be overwhelmed by a truly major catastrophic event.  There are actually public safety reasons for why there should be multiple places 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

We went over 100 years without a medical school.  This was the first med school in Charlotte and it closed a few years later.  It is now the Settlers Place condos at N College and 6th. 

https://www.cmstory.org/exhibits/turn-20th-century-life-charlotte-1900-1910-schools/north-carolina-medical-college

and perhaps when Atrium Wake Forest starts pumping out doctors left and right then UNC will reevaluate.   I have followed this discussion for 20-30 years and there was talk years ago and jointly developed a full on med school here with UNC Charlotte but it again never happened.  

UNC has no interest in developing a medical school in Charlotte; they never had and never will. They don’t need to, as they are locked into fierce competition with Duke’s School of Medicine, only 9 miles down the road from it, and the Triangle area is growing rapidly, so the market is expanding every year. Duke has no intentions of establishing another medical school either; they will only expand their existing one. Between UNC, Duke and Wake Med, the Triangle market is very competitive between those three institutions, and that’s why other companies like Atrium and Novant have been unsuccessful in entering this market. Conversely, that’s also why these institutions have been reluctant to expand outside of the Triangle other than takeover / purchase / manage a very small number of regional hospital systems in the boondocks.

Over the years, Atrium / Eugene Woods courted several institutions to form a partnership, and UNC might have done so eventually, but not at the expense of Chapel Hill no longer being the headquarters of the new entity. UNC didn’t initiate the discussions, Eugene Woods did. Wake Forest was in a weak position (particularly with the local Baptist Hospital)  which is why they agreed to a deal, but it will likely bite Winston-Salem them in the rear end. Some folks think that the Medical School and Graduate Schools will eventually wind up being headquartered in Charlotte.  That’s a good thing if you are Charlotte but not Winston-Salem, LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Well we won in the end. We’re getting a state of the art innovation district that will pull talent from all over the US. 

Well, maybe ---- Charlotte got a medical school, and that’s a good thing. It was long overdue and well deserved.  However, Innovation Districts are hardly unique, and are becoming the “in thing” whether they are related to medical schools or not. NCSU’s Centennial Campus is an example of one not related to medicine, but engineering instead.

Eugene Woods wants to build a  “Silicon Valley of Healthcare” between Charlotte and Winston-Salem where I suppose that Salisbury would be the epicenter of that research. Well he may be successful but national competition is fierce for Federal Research Grants. Perhaps he would be better off on focusing on the quality of output (doctors) instead of  the quantity of output (doctors).  That’s the policy of most highly rated medical schools in the country. 

Medical schools are also not unique; some are quite good while others are not.  US News ranks the following medical schools in the Piedmont area of North Carolina:

Duke University:  # 3 in Research

UNC-CH:  # 3 in Family Medicine, # 3 in Primary Care; # 24 in Research.

Wake Forest University:  # 48 in Research, # 80 in Primary Care.

Duke and UNC-CH are both Tier 1 research universities while Wake Forest is not. Neither is UNC-Charlotte.

Duke also anchors a new Innovation District in Durham and has recently opened a 273,000 square foot separate Medical Research Campus in Research Triangle Park.  UNC and Duke extensively collaborate on research, and numerous startup life science companies in and around RTP have origins from Duke and/or UNC. The area draws researchers from around the world. The Triangle is one of the top 5 Life Sciences hubs in the United States, and is growing very rapidly. Most successful medical / life science / tech hubs are anchored by at least two Tier 1 research universities. This area has three of them.

I have no doubt that Atrium will build a successful medical school , but boasting about creating a “Silicon Valley of Healthcare” seems to be a bit of a stretch at this point.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SlackJack said:

but boasting about creating a “Silicon Valley of Healthcare” seems to be a bit of a stretch at this point.

Agreed; however, I appreciate the ambition.  Shoot for the moon, land among the stars.  I will give them this: They found a way to get the med school done despite the UNC system.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Agreed; however, I appreciate the ambition.  Shoot for the moon, land among the stars.  I will give them this: They found a way to get the med school done despite the UNC system.

I don't think that you understand. This is not something that you "check off" of a list as "being done".  That's what the Charlotte  School of Law thought. You saw how that worked out ?

7 hours ago, SlackJack said:

I don't think that you understand. This is not something that you "check off" of a list as "being done".  That's what the Charlotte  School of Law thought. You saw how that worked out ?

I do understand. Wake Forest and Atrium are both reputable organizations with plenty of experience and expertise.  The UNC system stood in Atrium's way, and in Charlotte's way, and they found a way to develop a medical school with household name recognition. It was a gap in the market and it took leadership to make it happen. Just because the route was a surprise doesn't mean it was haphazard.  I don't expect  Charlotte to WS to turn into Silicon Valley, but I won't discount what they accomplished already because they have big dreams.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SlackJack said:

WF School of Medicine was founded in 1902 and has been around over 100 years.  This is not a young start up like the C SofL and to mention that in the same breath as Wake Forest is crazy.  That would be like me saying Duke is one step above Wake Tech.  And I don't think Charlotte is checking it off either as everyone has called it transformative.  The innovation district will built over years.  In terms of Winston Salem itself I don't believe for one minute they will close their Med school campus there as you hinted.  That is where their main campus will be this is just a  2nd campus.  Medical schools are extremely expensive to build and operate and that is why there is 4 currently operating in the state.  

https://school.wakehealth.edu/About-the-School/History

• Like 3