Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

16 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

https://atriumhealth.org/about-us/newsroom/news/2022/03/global-surgical-training-institute-to-establish-us-headquarters-in-charlotte

This seems like it is a big deal, but I'll let someone who may be more knowledgeable opine.

Yes I would say it is especially for hotel nights.  These doctors and surgeons will come from around the country and stay in Charlotte a few days I am sure to train.  Great for uptown hotels which are the closest to this area. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes I would say it is especially for hotel nights.  These doctors and surgeons will come from around the country and stay in Charlotte a few days I am sure to train.  Great for uptown hotels which are the closest to this area. 

Best be a "romantic" hotel for the surgeons... IRCAD's pitch for their partner hotel for their European training facility below:
"Book our IRCAD package, benefit from our best rates, and chill out in one of the most romantic hotels in Strasbourg. It is located right in the city center, and two steps away from the Institute. You won’t find a better place to brighten up your stay." 

Never seen a conference advertise a hotel as "romantic" for a work trip. LOL. 

https://www.ircad.fr/mis-training-center/one-day-at-ircad/

Edited by CLT2014
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Best be a "romantic" hotel for the surgeons... IRCAD's pitch for their partner hotel for their European training facility below:
"Book our IRCAD package, benefit from our best rates, and chill out in one of the most romantic hotels in Strasbourg. It is located right in the city center, and two steps away from the Institute. You won’t find a better place to brighten up your stay." 

Never seen a conference advertise a hotel as "romantic" for a work trip. LOL. 

https://www.ircad.fr/mis-training-center/one-day-at-ircad/

then the Iveys hotel,  the Ritz Carlton, the JW Marriott, the Dunhill, the Grand Bohemian and the Kimpton better up their "romantic" game 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

One article I read said they were taking 100,000 sq ft now I dont know where I read that. 

I think it's in the updated CBJ article.

That's a lot bigger than I would have imagined.  In my mind I would have thought less than 20k.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Atrium just merged with Advocate Aurora, will now be the fifth biggest Health system in the US . Will stay headquartered in Charlotte. Expected 27 Billion in Revenue. No changes to the Medschool timeline.

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article261306127.html

I just read that a moment ago. It's an interesting beginning to go from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Hospital Authority to Carolinas Healthcare System to Atrium Health to now Advocate Health, the 5th largest healthcare system in the US. Crazy! 

I do wonder if the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Hospital Authority,  i.e. the Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners will still have technical control over this new entity like it did as Atrium Health.

Edited by kayman

5 minutes ago, kayman said:

I just read that a moment ago. It's an interesting beginning to go from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Hospital Authority to Carolinas Healthcare System to Atrium Health to now Advocate Health, the 5th largest healthcare system in the US. Crazy! 

I do wonder if the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Hospital Authority,  i.e. the Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners will still have technical control over this new entity like it did as Atrium Health.

I wonder, given the size, if they end up creation integrated option, like Kaiser. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I wonder, given the size, if they end up creation integrated option, like Kaiser. 

Yeah, I agree.  It also makes me wonder if this is the way TPTB to buy and strongarm their way into making Charlotte a hub of biotechnology with the Pearl  district being controlled by Atrium (soon to be Advocacy Health) & Wake Forest.  Erreily similar to like Atlanta did in with Georgia Tech and Emory Healthcare with the Tech Square and surrounding district to strongarm its way into the biotech and tech sectors in the 2000s and 2010s.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it too big of a stretch to say there's something in the NC regulative environment (protecting and nurturing monopolies?!) that lends itself to these rollups of highly regulated industries?

Thinking about energy (Duke), banking (Bank of America and Wachovia), and hospitals.

There are and have been bigger in these categories of course, so it may be nothing.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

well this is interesting safety rankings of NC hospitals and most in the region are A but a few are not.

https://www.hospitalsafetygrade.org/search?findBy=state&zip_code=&city=&state_prov=NC&hospital=

Ouch what is going on on UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill?

On going infection issues have been a problem with them. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...