Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

OFF Topic

Duuuval would like a word with some of you Panthers fans.  The Jags went further in the playoffs than your  Cats. 

I like this Pearl district and the Med school and this will do wonders for Charlotte and diversifying our economic base.  I even heard rumors of a large hotel there no joke .  Jax is a medical center for sure as they have a branch of the Mayo Clinic there and it is huge.  Plus they already have a med school there the Univ. of Florida Jacksonville Medical school.  They have a 110 acre UF Health campus. 

But our French surgical training school for all of North America will generate a lot of hotel nights.

https://atriumhealth.org/about-us/newsroom/news/2022/03/global-surgical-training-institute-to-establish-us-headquarters-in-charlotte

IMG_8580.JPG

20230118_121655.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

OFF Topic

Duuuval would like a word with some of you Panthers fans.  The Jags went further in the playoffs than your  Cats. 

I like this Pearl district and the Med school and this will do wonders for Charlotte and diversifying our economic base.  I even heard rumors of a large hotel there no joke .  Jax is a medical center for sure as they have a branch of the Mayo Clinic there and it is huge.  Plus they already have a med school there the Univ. of Florida Jacksonville Medical school.  They have a 110 acre UF Health campus. 

But our French surgical training school for all of North America will generate a lot of hotel nights.

https://atriumhealth.org/about-us/newsroom/news/2022/03/global-surgical-training-institute-to-establish-us-headquarters-in-charlotte

IMG_8580.JPG

20230118_121655.jpg

You sure about that?  This news headline appears to suggest otherwise?  Perhaps the UF Medical School in Jax is similar to what we're creating here - more a branch of a med school HQ.

What's more compelling about what we're doing is funding and building a research and innovation infrastructure

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2022/11/30/jacksonville-university-announces-areas-first-4-year-medical-school/

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have never been to Jacksonville, so I personally know nothing about it.  However, my niece used to live there.  Based on what I have heard from her and from others who have spent time there, to put it delicately, the quality of its culture and intellect of its citizens is not impressive.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

It is truly a shame how many American streetcar tracks were torn up in the 20th century. Given its prior existence and the new development, a Morehead streetcar seems like a no-brainer to me. CityLinx Green Line?

When Car came to the spotlight…it came with a bulldozer and with support by dollars. It gouged out any developing and existing transit in the early development of cities, all for the profit of our high and mighty overlords in the oil and automotive industries!

I’ve been plotting this line for months maybe Morehead-mint-Graham? When I have free time I just theorize where to plop a line in Charlotte.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 12:35 PM, tarhoosier said:

It may be under there, somewhere. The East Boulevard tracks were exposed during the improvements 15 or so years ago that turned the 4 lane stroad to the street it is today. A set of the old rails were installed on the island at Euclid and East with a marker. So many trucks and other vehicles jumped the island and damaged the display as well as themselves they removed the rails.*

It would not be sufficient for current operations of course. This is an historical note only.

*Why we cannot have nice things, etc.

It could've been feasible had we not done the "diet",  no?

The original Charlotte Trolley had a path that went South on South to East and turned east to a terminus near the current Park Avenue and Dilworth West block. If one drives east on that stretch of street one sees East Blvd suddenly narrow from a wide, horse carriage plus double rail vehicle width to a much narrower width and that is the sign that the trolley went no further. The terminus was the new  (at the time) Latta Park in Dilworth which had pleasant attractions that could attract riders on weekends to this suburban location. There was also a ball field quite close to that location.  It was not just feasible then but necessary to encourage operations on Sundays and other days for fares to support the costs. One express purpose of the trolley was for real estate development. A much longer post would address that.

I see not how this could be accomplished now. 

If you are asking about the Morehead route that is another question. I doubt the willingness of Morehead property owners of today to experience the amount of time and incovenience a rail extension would require.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I see not how this could be accomplished now. 

Why not ?  Re-open up the side lanes as they were and run the line down the center as it was.  What's the difference between that and the way it originally was? I guess South Blvd, would be the bottle neck unless you had it end at the East-West station where you could just transfer.

• 2 weeks later...

New medical facility proposed for Charlotte but the location of the planned facility is not mentioned so I thought I would just post here.

https://independenttribune.com/news/state-and-regional/out-of-state-hospital-looks-to-build-new-psychiatric-facility-in-charlotte/article_040e90ce-c625-52a0-bebb-daac1a48394e.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

• Like 3