Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

1 hour ago, kayman said:

I sense the proposed Wake Forest School of Law location here in Charlotte

Has this been formally proposed? I missed that.  That is big news.  If so, crazy to think WF is plugging the med school and law school gap in Charlotte.  Great for them, but seems like a major missed opportunity for UNC Board of Governors.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Has this been formally proposed? I missed that.  That is big news.  If so, crazy to think WF is plugging the med school and law school gap in Charlotte.  Great for them, but seems like a major missed opportunity for UNC Board of Governors.

There have been discussions mentioned  but nothing formally announced. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 3:12 PM, JeanClt said:

When will this break ground exactly? Recall 2022 Q1 but I don’t think that may be the case anymore obviously…

They’ve mentioned it breaking ground in 2022 (this year) but I wouldn’t expect any major construction activities until the end of the year/early next year.  Maybe one of the guys checking permits can let us know when they pull them for this building.

• Like 4

• dubone changed the title to Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, KJHburg said:

Since this is about life sciences in the Charlotte region as the med school is a big part of that for the future but this is a good recap on where we are at right now.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/4fca20faf81140c3804fd80a262bf6f2

There is a serious need to bring in more or entice more venture capitalists and investors to the region.  These are key to seeding  startups particularly in the biotechnology & biopharmaceutials sectors to the region.  As I've said before,  Charlotte has the major potential to be a powerhouse in biotech & biopharmaceutial research and production even larger than the Triangle.  Since Charlotte is the gateway btwn both North Carolina and South Carolina.  It would be mutually beneficial for both states for Charlotte to succeed as the Carolinas' life sciences industry economic powerhouse region.  The spillover economic effects would definitely help York and Lancaster counties for sure. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, SydneycartonII said:

I love Charlotte and hope to move back there from  Chapel Hill, but it will never remotely approach the Triangle in terms of biotech and life sciences.   The presence of Duke, UNC, and NC State in a small area gives the Triangle enormous brain power, which few areas in the whole country have on a per capita area.  This is reflected by the enormous number of people with Ph. Ds around here.  

The Triangle consistently ranks among the top ten metros for life sciences despite the fact that it’s only about the thirtieth largest metro in America.

I think of the Triangle’s economy as a mini Boston/SF, whereas I think of Charlotte’s as a mini New York.

That being said, I hope that Charlotte’s biotech industry grows substantially.  It’s close enough to Duke, UNC, etc. to attract talent, and it’s a more appealing metro than the Triangle.

That's true about the Triangle, but I think UNCC, Wake Forest University building a secondary campus around the Pearl district, a more robustly funded Queens University, Winthrop University, and Johnson C. Smith University could give Charlotte a stronger foothold in the life sciences industries in the long-term.

I think also the fact that we have the Pearl, University City, & the North Carolina Research Campus will fill those areas continuing to draw those type of industries.  Although it may not replace the other entities in the Triangle, Charlotte could definitely give and be more attractive to those who want careers in life sciences a stronger, more urban alternative.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, kayman said:

That's true about the Triangle, but I think UNCC, Wake Forest University building a secondary campus around the Pearl district, a more robustly funded Queens University, Winthrop University, and Johnson C. Smith University could give Charlotte a stronger foothold in the life sciences industries in the long-term.

I think also the fact that we have the Pearl, University City, & the North Carolina Research Campus will fill those continue to draw those type of industries.  Although it may not replace the other entities in the Triangle, Charlotte could definitely give and be more attractive to those who want careers in life sciences a stronger, more urban alternative.

I agree.  Charlotte has a lot to offer, and this new campus should help it grow in this area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, SydneycartonII said:

I love Charlotte and hope to move back there from  Chapel Hill, but it will never remotely approach the Triangle in terms of biotech and life sciences.   The presence of Duke, UNC, and NC State in a small area gives the Triangle enormous brain power, which few areas in the whole country have on a per capita basis.  This is reflected by the enormous number of people with Ph. Ds around here.  

The Triangle consistently ranks among the top ten metros for life sciences despite the fact that it’s only about the thirtieth largest metro in America.

I think of the Triangle’s economy as a mini Boston/SF, whereas I think of Charlotte’s as a mini New York.

That being said, I hope that Charlotte’s biotech industry grows substantially.  It’s close enough to Duke, UNC, etc. to attract talent, and it’s a more appealing metro than the Triangle.

Agree with all, especially the Triangle being mini Boston and Charlotte being mini New York. The Triangle is a powerhouse in the sciences and frankly very few metros in the entire country can match it, much less finance-oriented Charlotte. I think Charlotte may have had a better chance of attracting the tech industry however, before the Triangle got a firm hold on that as well. Apple and Google seem all-in on the Triangle. I wonder if Charlotte could diversify by expanding into aerospace/defense or something. I'm in the field myself and have always been saddened that I need to move out of state to get the attractive jobs. Given how many engineering students graduate from NC universities every year, I think it might be worth investing in. Honeywell is of course HQ'd here (as is Collins) but I don't think there's much of the technical engineering work. 

On a side note, a fun thought I recently had is that as Charlotte approaches 3 million metro population, it actually isn't very far behind Boston's 4 million. It is also about to pass Baltimore's 2.8 million. Starting to enter the ranks of some of the Northeast megalopolis's cities.

• Like 3

True, I apparently missed the ".9" after the "4" in Boston's MSA population. Still it's worth noting that in the post-pandemic world (2020-2021) Boston has started to shrink (lost a little under 1% of MSA population) while Charlotte is growing at over 1.5%. But that's a short term trend so we'll see if it continues.

Regardless I didn't mean to suggest Charlotte will catch up to Boston anytime soon (or ever). Boston is the 11th largest metro in the country. But I feel like once Charlotte hits the 3 million mark it sort of enters a new tier on the list of MSAs, one that is ahead of the Northeast's smallest major city (Baltimore) and sort of in the fray with some other huge cities. It will be a top 20 MSA and could very well compete with or pass cities like Denver and San Diego in the coming years and decades. 

• Thanks 1

KJHburg, your "before" pictures will become wonderful archival photos to compare the "after" photos against in a little more than a decade.  As I stated several pages back on this thread, the transformational impact of the Pearl District on the City of Charlotte's future economic and cultural profile is difficult to overhype.   The quantity of new buildings and urbanized streetscapes that will descend on this underutilized, suburban corner of uptown will be breathtaking.    Morehead St, Mcdowell/Second Ward, Kings Dr/Midtown will become Charlotte's version of Buckhead / Midtown in Atlanta.  

And, while all the new "hardware" in terms of urban development will be visually impressive, it will be the introduction of all the new "software" in terms of businesses, professions, and the spin-off cultural offerings generated by these that will "transform" the City.   The built-form is fun, and what we on this page geek out about, but the social structures that activate buildings, streets, and parks are what enable successful, desirable cities.   The invisible mass of the iceberg only hinted at by the portion protruding the waterline.    Stay tuned!

• Like 4