Hearon Circle Improvements

SpartanBorn&Raised

7 hours ago, Greenville Paladin said:

Harris Teeter stagnated in new store development.  It sold off stores to BI-LO and Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company and closed others.

BI-LO #5265 has not been a busy store location.  Up Asheville Highway, Ingle's #37 is constantly busy.

North Town is up for significant redevelopment.  It could be considered in conjunction with a strategic plan for the Asheville Highway corridor.  The mixed use development planned between University of South Carolina Upstate and Business 85 will help increase the number of residences and increase income levels.

Relating to the Northside, the former Mountasia/Funtasia/Funwerks/Blessed Fun/Fantasy Island has been demolished except for the arcade, which has been sold.  I wonder what could eventually go there - more fast food/restaurants, or a grocer and pharmacy?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, SpartanBorn&Raised said:

Relating to the Northside, the former Mountasia/Funtasia/Funwerks/Blessed Fun/Fantasy Island has been demolished except for the arcade, which has been sold.  I wonder what could eventually go there - more fast food/restaurants, or a grocer and pharmacy?

I don't know, but that area around the traffic circle is a MESS.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SpartanBorn&Raised said:

More industrial businesses would be logical.  That area is mostly industrial.

I would not mind seeing another supermarket and a drugstore at North Town if it is razed and rebuilt.  The trade area has been a pharmacy desert since 2008 when Rite Aid #11596 closed.  It will become grocery, meat/seafood, and produce deserts after BI-LO #5265 closes.  Food remains available at restaurants along Asheville Highway.

4 hours ago, Skyliner said:

I don't know, but that area around the traffic circle is a MESS.

I think it is time to improve Hearon Circle.   Hearon Circle has two continuous lanes.  It is time to restripe and reconfigure traffic flow like multilane roundabouts.

25 minutes ago, Greenville Paladin said:

More industrial businesses would be logical.  That area is mostly industrial.

I would not mind seeing another supermarket and a drugstore at North Town if it is razed and rebuilt.  The trade area has been a pharmacy desert since 2008 when Rite Aid #11596 closed.  It will become grocery, meat/seafood, and produce deserts after BI-LO #5265 closes.  Food remains available at restaurants along Asheville Highway.

I think it is time to improve Hearon Circle.   Hearon Circle has two continuous lanes.  It is time to restripe and reconfigure traffic flow like multilane roundabouts.

Ready to try 1 lane again? :tw_lol:

This is a bit off-topic, but I found this rendering of a potential rework of Heron Circle several months ago.

Hearon_Circle_Spartanburg.jpg.eee3f3b2e5f3446e1639b4f763e57b8f.jpg

The former Hardees is currently for-sale.  Honestly, SCDOT should buy it to allow expansion/reworking of the off-ramp there, because it's by far the worst part (backing up onto Bus-85 regularly).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, westsider28 said:

This is a bit off-topic, but I found this rendering of a potential rework of Heron Circle several months ago.

The former Hardees is currently for-sale.  Honestly, SCDOT should buy it to allow expansion/reworking of the off-ramp there, because it's by far the worst part (backing up onto Bus-85 regularly).

Hearon Circle is a disaster.  Way too many entrance and exits causes dangerous backups on northbound Asheville Highway and the northbound Business I-85 entrance ramp.  Glad to see a plan to fix it is developing.  

10 hours ago, westsider28 said:

I would like to further limit access entering and exiting Hearon Circle.  I like eliminated exit access to Mobile Drive.  I would like to see traffic exiting onto Charisma Drive eliminated, and see Charisma Drive realigned to terminate at Lone Oak Road.

I would like to see Hearon Circle similar to traffic circles on Verdae Boulevard and Carolina Point Parkway in Greenville.  Both Verdae Boulevard and Carolina Point Parkway maintain four travel lanes through their traffic circles. 

Link:  Carolina Point Parkway, Greenville, South Carolina

Could I recommend discussion about improving Hearon Circle be moved to another topic?

Edited by Greenville Paladin