Spectrum - Monroe North Campus

Of interest to this group, there are no plans to change the Monroe plans again.   All the hospitals will retain their names, since everyone knows their hospital by name.  It will be brand name - hospital name., which for the most part is already standardized to "Brand Name - Location Name - Hospital".  This is a huge win for PH to grow on the eastside where BCBS operates largely indiscriminately. 

I asked for a high speed rail line connecting GR and Southfield  in the Q&A for employees :tw_sweat_smile:

Single payer/national healthercare is the definition of monopoly.  I like to think hospital mergers as a slow walk to a single american health system, which of course we should have. Its also very american that it will be an expense and take forever while a bunch a people get rich in the process, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My first reaction is bigger is  not better. Beaumont has had a bit of bad press unlike Spectrum which had pretty good press through the pandemic and before. I'll still make my same comment Spectrum appears to a bit lost in direction. They have a announced more than one plan  that didn't materialize.  Merging your medical system with  another to enhance your health insurance arm rubs me the wrong way. Work on making your west Michigan facilities and staff the best there is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

My first reaction is bigger is  not better. Beaumont has had a bit of bad press unlike Spectrum which had pretty good press through the pandemic and before. I'll still make my same comment Spectrum appears to a bit lost in direction. They have a announced more than one plan  that didn't materialize.  Merging your medical system with  another to enhance your health insurance arm rubs me the wrong way. Work on making your west Michigan facilities and staff the best there is. 

That’s what frustrates me. Isn’t providing quality care to West Michigan purpose enough? Is this about improving healthcare and achieving economies of scale, or is this about the strange American compulsion to always pursue growth?

• Like 1

We talk a lot about the shift in payment models from volume based to value based.  payment based on outcomes and prevention instead of treatment.  that requires a different cost structure to support.  the scale will help drive down administrative and supply and equipment costs.   You can get some massive discounts when you commit to buying 6 CT scanners instead of 2. . we'll get paid a bucket of money for a group of patients, and our job will be to improve their health and keep them out of the hospital (expensive)...otherwise, costs for that patient group if they grow beyond the bucket of money, is direct cost to the health system. if systems spend less than the bucket, they get to keep the difference.

as for how the shift is happening, medicare explains it best.  skip to 13:30 for a great example.

• Like 1

What does Spectrum think about that big shootout the other night at 6th Street Park? Over 118 shell casings found in the parking lot and reportedly there were 20 shooters all firing at each other. One bullet reportedly went through a window of the Embassy Suites where someone was staying (none of them got hurt). 

I happened to be in that area biking the Saturday morning after and the forensics units were there. The entire Monroe North area was trashed, with scooters and rental bikes laying in streets and parking lots, trash everywhere. Can't even imagine the impression the Embassy Suites guests got of GR that morning when having their coffee and scones. 

Man GR, what the f**k is up??

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2021/06/up-to-20-people-firing-guns-118-shell-casings-collected-in-grand-rapids-park-melee-police-say.html

• Sad 1

THIS needs to be dealt with immediately!

20 people shooting? I never even heard of this happening. WoodTV has no videos even reporting specifically on it. WTH? Channel 17 cut the number of shell casings by 50% and never even mention the number of people involved. People should have been better informed of this. Word will leak out, and it could seriously damage the city's reputation and convention business if heaven forbid the news played this down and no one is caught. Imagine if a hotel guest was seriously injured or killed?

And how did so many people congregate in one place that late in a city park and no one even think of calling the cops at the hotel?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

20 people shooting? I never even heard of this happening. WoodTV has no videos even reporting specifically on it. WTH? Channel 17 cut the number of shell casings by 50% and never even mention the number of people involved. People should have been better informed of this. Word will leak out, and it could seriously damage the city's reputation and convention business if heaven forbid the news played this down and no one is caught. Imagine if a hotel guest was seriously injured or killed?

And how did so many people congregate in one place that late in a city park and no one even think of calling the cops at the hotel?

This was reported by local news when it happened, I'm not sure if the stories are still posted anywhere but it was reported on. I feel like this happened very late at night/early morning, like 3-4 AM after a previous shooting, inculcating same shooters. 

6 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Exactly. How did this happen? It was between 3 and 4am with over 200 people congregating in that parking lot and no police?

• Like 1

So it has finally hit our backyard.  I've noticed no comment from the defund the police activists.  Can you imagine police morale these days?  It's a great time for criminals as indignation for their actions are judged less serious and held to lower accountability than the response police are forced into every day protecting the community.  Hell, who wants to be a cop?  

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/50-police-officers-leave-crowd-control-unit-in-portland-in-protest/

54 minutes ago, arcturus said:

So it has finally hit our backyard.  I've noticed no comment from the defund the police activists.  Can you imagine police morale these days?  It's a great time for criminals as indignation for their actions are judged less serious and held to lower accountability than the response police are forced into every day protecting the community.  Hell, who wants to be a cop?  

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/50-police-officers-leave-crowd-control-unit-in-portland-in-protest/

I don't think this is a "defund" issue, as GRPD has a full police force still. But it is interesting that the city is so quiet on this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't think this is a "defund" issue, as GRPD has a full police force still. But it is interesting that the city is so quiet on this. 

The public attack on police thanks in part to 'defund' has emboldened criminals IMO and the silence may be simply because it doesn't fit today's media narrative but hey, we'll agree to disagree. 

10 minutes ago, Matchetes said:

This is a forum about development in North Monroe and you've chosen to throw in what is arguably the most contentious civic issue of our time into the mix. How do you think that will go? We could just as easily talk about how horrifying  it is that they had such easy access to guns in the first place. Debating it here will only raise hackles and hurt feelings. Nothing more

Agreed. Let's try to stay on topic. There are plenty of places to debate these issues, and this topic can get way too contentious.

It's definitely not a good look and I was surprised that 200 people showed up at Sixth Street Park at 3:45am. Sounds a bit like something spread like wild fire on social media and a bunch of people showed up. I don't know if it's indicative of any new trend or if it was a weird, isolated incident.

Joe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Agreed. Let's try to stay on topic. There are plenty of places to debate these issues, and this topic can get way too contentious.

It's definitely not a good look and I was surprised that 200 people showed up at Sixth Street Park at 3:45am. Sounds a bit like something spread like wild fire on social media and a bunch of people showed up. I don't know if it's indicative of any new trend or if it was a weird, isolated incident.

Joe

I don't think it's indicative of any trend, other than I think the scooters and bikes help bring bored teenagers into downtown from the neighborhoods. And you put 200 bored teenagers into a park together at 3 or 4am, things are bound to get dicey.

But yes, let's go back to more important things like a warehouse being torn down. :) Hear hear!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I don't know if it's indicative of any new trend or if it was a weird, isolated incident.

This is actually a trend that seems to be more popular lately. A similar incident happened at Fish Ladder Park a few weeks ago (unsure if this was reported). I do know that local businesses have been having their parking lots invaded by groups and that this has been occurring since last summer. GRPD has been placing mobile security camera trailers in some locations, but they can’t place them everywhere (see below).

9A277368-7CAE-4F40-A7A1-F82EFD2437BC.thumb.jpeg.c5fca7003e83fa842e030b6a606e94c1.jpeg

These incidents are not isolated only to Grand Rapids either. Panama City recently passed an ordinance to hold business owners responsible for their parking lots at night because the police force grew strained responding to parking lot parties.

https://www.wjhg.com/2021/06/12/panama-city-beach-police-department-cracks-down-parking-lot-parties/

I know this might be off topic, but wanted to make sure we are informed of what’s going on since there are ordinances being passed elsewhere regarding the issue. :offtopic:

Edited by WMrapids

7 hours ago, WMrapids said:

These incidents are not isolated only to Grand Rapids either. Panama City recently passed an ordinance to hold business owners responsible for their parking lots at night because the police force grew strained responding to parking lot parties.

So silly question on this, does that now mean that the business owners would also have to take down any signs saying that they are no longer responsible for lost or stolen items in their parking lots?

Ok, to get back on topic, will the Beaumont / Spectrum merger potentially impact this development. my hope, is that as a big training facility, they could add a few more floors (we always like more!). With all that is happening, is this a chance to go bigger, or would   Also, I know that they’re proposing  HQ’s  in Southfield and Grsnd Rapids, but it would seem like certain departments will consolidate and potentially get larger (which could be good or bad for the GR hq). 

Anyone hearing how they plan to do things operationally? Again, Spectrum seems like the stronger organization so does this benefit the potential for jobs here?

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Eastern Kille Distillery is selling their building to Spectrum. I was a bit surprised by this as it seemed like Spectrum had a flurry of purchases and was done. 

Eastern Kille plans to stay through 2022 and then locate somewhere else in the city:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/spectrum-health-buys-eastern-kille-distillery-property-for-3-75m-in-major-return-for-craft-spirits-maker

12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Eastern Kille Distillery is selling their building to Spectrum. I was a bit surprised by this as it seemed like Spectrum had a flurry of purchases and was done. 

Eastern Kille plans to stay through 2022 and then locate somewhere else in the city:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/spectrum-health-buys-eastern-kille-distillery-property-for-3-75m-in-major-return-for-craft-spirits-maker

I really hope this isn't more "land hoarding for future parking needs." 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I really hope this isn't more "land hoarding for future parking needs." 

Agree. I was down on Monroe North over the weekend and it was happening.  If SH is taking properties that contribute to the vibrancy of the neighborhood, i hope there are plans to incorporate some ground floor retail/commercial.  To have that much area effectively *closed* outside of corporate business hours would be a travesty. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Agree. I was down on Monroe North over the weekend and it was happening.  If SH is taking properties that contribute to the vibrancy of the neighborhood, i hope there are plans to incorporate some ground floor retail/commercial.  To have that much area effectively *closed* outside of corporate business hours would be a travesty. 

Couldn't agree more. Friday night along the river with live music happening at Linear and City Built, plus the fireworks, it was absolutely buzzing down there. So cool to see so many people out along the river, just enjoying the open space.