Spectrum - Monroe North Campus

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you planeteers have ideas for the new name for Spectrum Health's new combined health system, the CEO is conducting a survey collecting:

..thoughts and ideas on what the system’s new name should be, and/or what should we consider as we develop the new name?

Y'all are a great group of sharp, community oriented minds.  I would be happy to incorporate any feedback you have into my response :-)

I'm scratching my head to think of a name. Something meaningful. Something Local. Not too West Side, Not too east side...but appropriate for the largest employer in the state.  But also something you'd want to see in national headlines.  I thought about the native American trails (Grand River Trail) that crossed the state.  Something something coast to coast?  Third Coast? Fresh Coast? And what names aren't already taken??  I can see why some businesses just make up names.

Yes, they've retained a firm to do the heavy lifting, but I thought I'd give this opportunity to my favorite (only) internet board.

(sorry if offtopic, feel free to move!)

16 minutes ago, grandrollerz said:

If any of you planeteers have ideas for the new name for Spectrum Health's new combined health system, the CEO is conducting a survey collecting:

Y'all are a great group of sharp, community oriented minds.  I would be happy to incorporate any feedback you have into my response :-)

I'm scratching my head to think of a name. Something meaningful. Something Local. Not too West Side, Not too east side...but appropriate for the largest employer in the state.  But also something you'd want to see in national headlines.  I thought about the native American trails (Grand River Trail) that crossed the state.  Something something coast to coast?  Third Coast? Fresh Coast? And what names aren't already taken??  I can see why some businesses just make up names.

Yes, they've retained a firm to do the heavy lifting, but I thought I'd give this opportunity to my favorite (only) internet board.

Peninsula Healthcare? 

Are they completely ditching Spectrum name then? 

Yes, the new "official legal name" is BHSH System...which is purposefully terrible so no one gets attached to it.  I expect the new name to be announced in 6-12 months.  One of the presidents assures us that the name will not be Speaumont Health, lol.  We were never the sole owner of the name (trademark?) Spectrum Healths o i think it was always going to change at some point. I think it technically belongs to a Spectrum Health System in new england somewhere. 

They should split the difference and give it a latin name to make it sound more fancy .

"Peninsulam Health"  or "Peninsulam Salas"  I dunno, my latin isn't great but you get the idea. 

That also makes it less weird should they ever pursue M&A's outside of Michigan borders, since it won't blatantly sound like some small system in Indiana is being taken over by  a Michigan system for example.

3 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Metro Health (smirk) since that name is no longer in use…

Why not just Spectrum Beaumont?

This will make them the largest company with employees in Michigan with around 65,000 employees.

I wonder if this will mean Priority will begin to expand a lot more?  Didn't someone mention that Priority was looking to consolidate offices as well? There would be a nice space next to the new GVSU building for a huge tower......

Priority has a smaller footprint over East, so yes. Lots of opportunity.

I think what you are hinting at is why priority health has their name on the parking structure....that and again, a name change has always been in the works so no sense putting up a big Spectrum health sing on it when it's just going to have to come down when the name changes.

6 hours ago, wingbert said:

It will likely end up as some made up word salad since most real words that are good are also probably taken at this point.  Sort of how Michigan Blood became Versity.

Take Some letters that sound somewhat Latin, add an ia or y to the end, and it’ll sound forward thinking and high tech. The branding statement will also mention forward thinking and high tech. :) :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Why is it tax exempt? It's an office building, not a medical facility. Is everything Spectrum owns tax exempt?

I think the brownfield incentives are a good idea, and that program has been extremely successful in helping clean up urban sites and get them redeveloped. But a full tax exemption seems like overkill. 

I guess the city will collect income taxes off the employees there...

29 minutes ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Why is it tax exempt? It's an office building, not a medical facility. Is everything Spectrum owns tax exempt?

I think the brownfield incentives are a good idea, and that program has been extremely successful in helping clean up urban sites and get them redeveloped. But a full tax exemption seems like overkill. 

I guess the city will collect income taxes off the employees there...

Spectrum Health is a non profit. 

I'm biased as an employee, but if you're big mad about that, I have news to share with you about public non-profit  university football coaches.  See also "American Private Healthcare System" and/or "Capitalism".

I know SH has in the past also participated in Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) programs in Grand Haven Twp, Grand Rapids Twp and I want to say Rockford as well.  See this: https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/2016/03/spectrums_grand_haven_facility.html  (side note: Holland Hospital has pulled out of this partnership as it begins to cut ties with SH so it can cozy up to the also non-profit University of Michigan Health System.)

Moving on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They also have thousands of physicians who make $bank too. Who cares? 

A lot of people care. All those salaries contribute to the cost of healthcare in our community and make healthcare and health care insurance more difficult to afford. Just because other people/industries are doing it doesn’t mean it’s a good thing for our community. Spectrum Health says they are committed to to lowering health care costs, and part of that is examining how they spend their money. For community based non profit there is not a lot of public information about how much total compensation the top people receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, uncus said:

A lot of people care. All those salaries contribute to the cost of healthcare in our community and make healthcare and health care insurance more difficult to afford. Just because other people/industries are doing it doesn’t mean it’s a good thing for our community. Spectrum Health says they are committed to to lowering health care costs, and part of that is examining how they spend their money. For community based non profit there is not a lot of public information about how much total compensation the top people receive.

It’s just more complicated than that. It’s not your average ER Physician pulling in that kind of $ anyway.  Those salaries attract world class talent  and help bring various research and studies to the area.  That talent raises the overall level of health care in GR that you may otherwise have to travel to Detroit/Ann Arbor/Chicago to get.  It also helps attract other talent and aids in creating even more living wage support jobs.   After spending a year working in healthcare I can promise those salaries are nowhere near the top of the list for what makes health care so expensive. That doesn’t even include the cost of medicine which they don’t control.  In an industry like healthcare you get what you pay for.   It is a net positive for the Grand Rapids area, and raises the profile of the area as a whole.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, uncus said:

I don't think to save money they should start cutting the pay of healthcare workers. Do you want a surgeon operating on you who just took a 25% pay cut? 

Y'all hitting the buttons here with doctors and executives not being the cost of healthcare.  Take J&J for example, drugs are hugely expensive.  The government knows that and tells manufacturers to sells some drugs at a lower cost when those drugs are being prescribed to certain (medicaid, et al) populations via the 340B program.  J&J is now saying f*ck you government and poor people, we're going to charge full price: https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/providers/jj-cut-340b-discounts-contract-pharmacies-starting-may-despite-lingering-legal-fight - article noting that J&J is just latest drug co to do so.

If you think bigger is badder for healthcare....i challenge you to read this article.  It reads like SH's journey to date and it lays out clearly it's intentions with combining with Beaumont.  The examples they give of Kaiser, Geisinger and Intermountain as being big systems with marked successes...they all share a trait that SH has that makes SH similarly successful and such an asset to Michigan:  They all own/operate their own insurance company...as SH does with Priority Health.

Hospital Systems: A Framework for Maximizing Social Benefit – The Health Care Blog

Simply focusing on commercial prices as a metric of performance of health systems misses any recognition of the market context these systems operate in such as neighborhood poverty, racial and economic inequity, payer mix and disease burden and thus fails to address the financial viability and sustainability of these enterprises.

..or in the case of this thread replace commercial prices with wages.

(last offtopic from me on this :))...even tho i said that last time

Edited by grandrollerz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...