Spectrum - Monroe North Campus

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I guess I whole heartedly disagree. Seems like a defeatist attitude. If the business needs a zoning change due to the type of use, the city can (and should) IMHO say no. I thought that was what planning and zoning boards did, ensure that redevelopment fits the plan. 

The comment about the rapids restoration or park not being valid since ground hasn’t been turned is garbage.  Millions of dollars get spent before shovels hit dirt, we DO have a master plan, and truly great cities are planned and curated. Mediocre cities throw up their hands and say do whatever you want. 

I’m frustrated that the city doesn’t get tougher. Other than opposing transient alcohol sales, mo one seemed overly concerned about putting a Kum N Go on a busy gateway to downtown GR.

I personally think the city needs to take a harder stance and tell developers if you want to build crap developments, value engineer the heck out of plans, knock stories off your development, just don’t build and come back when you’ve got better plans. Space downtown is finite. Build it right, or let’s wait until someone will. 

Joe

The fact that these things happen show we aren't remotely in the position to demand anything this aggressively. This facility isnt going in any place that is a hot location. The gym that was there closed, and these are the people that bought the building likely because they were the only ones that stepped up to do so. Again, the building is surrounded by absolutely nothing that would complement a more "interesting" use, and is otherwise isolated in a dead part of town. GR will want the tax revenue more than to make an example out of these people. That's just the cold reality that exists independent of what we desire here.

The city can certainly tell developers to take a hike because they water-down their projects or because they just arent impressive. Those developers will do just that if they feel like the city at the tier GR is on is being way too picky. We arent as hot to the outside world as we like to believe, with businesses leaving close cities like Chicago dont even give a glance at us as they look for a new place to land. And the current economic climate will certainly humble anyone in the city government real quick if they get too aggressive toward a developer because the building isnt as tall as their renderings showed. Those guys will throw a finger up and tell us to kick rocks.

Maybe on Pearl street they have that leverage, but on this part of Ottawa? It's a whole other deck of cards at this time. DTGR has several significant empty ground floors and "for rent" signs in far more active parts of DT to make an example of this location.

I get the frustration too, but it is what it is right now.

At the very least they aren't proposing to demolish it.

On 10/17/2022 at 8:13 PM, GRLaker said:

Can we talk about the fact that Cornhole Health ripped off the API Healthcare logo?

Sort of, API Healthcare doesn’te exist . And so the logo mark is no more. They were bought by Symplr and its now Symplr Workforce Management 

https://www.symplr.com/press-releases/clearlake-capital-backed-symplr-to-acquire-api-healthcare

Can anyone tell me what actually entails converting 875 Ottawa to self storage? Are we talking floor to ceiling concrete? Or just throwing up some studs and drywall to divide up the spaces? 

What I’m getting at is how hard would it be to transition from storage to  say housing and retail in 10-20 years if market conditions change in that area? 

Right now I agree with GR_Urbanist. There is nothing drawing pedestrians in this area right now, and I don’t think that changes until Autocam is gone. I think the city really should push for quality development and make the best attempt to fulfill the master plan, but this space has been vacant for years, I’ve long thought a clothing shop in the end with windows would be gorgeous, but for right now storage may very well be the best use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

There is nothing drawing pedestrians in this area right now, and I don’t think that changes until Autocam is gone. 

You make some good points.  The size of the Autocam (or Autodie?) facility is jarring from an aerial perspective. 

I think the city's continued plans to develop parkland along the perimeter of the district will continue to bring growth, just not at the pace we would like. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Took a look a the progress of development today. My first thought is that they are doing really nice brickwork on the building. Hope they do this all the way to the top and don’t swap it out for a cheaper material as they get further up. The pattern is pretty cool (pics below). 

Second, I drove around the back and noticed they’re going vertical with a parking ramp. To my surprise, they’ve already completed another ramp tucked between the new building and the parking structure for embassy suites (if you don’t look closely, they look like the same ramp). That area was so torn up for so long, I could never get a good view of what was going on so I was really surprised:

F2426593-E201-484D-8973-47430C60AA98.jpeg

E0C70EEB-0FCF-4535-A866-3C5522F52F3D.jpeg

80C548BA-1D44-44B0-89C5-BA3AA1287F68.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Drove by the Corewell development. A few observations:

1. The skywalk is starting to take shape and I think the "courtyard" between the new building and Brassworks will be an interesting feature of the development

2. The brickwork on the new building is very intricate. Looks great!

3. I think North Monroe now has the largest saturation of parking anywhere in the city. Between Embassy Suites, the two ramps Corewell is building, 601 Bond, and the surface lots scattered around, this area has its fill of parking for the next 50 years. :)

4. They build the parking structures FAST. Last time I stopped by, there was only rebar sticking out from the ground. The second ramp looks very close to being completely vertical.

5. Big E's is open again in Embassy Suites. 

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Noticed this afternoon that all the glazing is installed along Monroe and it's obscured (frosted) up to about 10' above street level. Doesn't appear to be any  permeability through that side of the building. Safe to assume the front door is at the parking deck. How very suburban...

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, numstead said:

Safe to assume the front door is at the parking deck. How very suburban...

I feel like we've known for awhile this building was going to be a negative for that area. 😢

Was just down there . . . and what is the street (Monroe Ave) interface of this thing?  This building has its back to Monroe, the main-street of downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked in on the project today. Personally, I don’t think the building seems nearly as fortress like as others have said (someone even said it was a negative for the neighborhood?). I wonder if they’ll funnily most Monroe traffic through the Brassworks building entrance? Will be interesting to see what the renovation of brassworks looks like when finished and how it relates to the skywalks, etc. between the two buildings. 

The windows in the photo look dark, but it’s actually pretty transparent IRL (except for the frosted portion along the bottom. Part of me wondered if it was temporary. Seems like a weird spot, as it probably would only obstruct the view up to desk level inside the building (unless I was interpreting things wrong). 

IMG_0593.jpeg

IMG_0592.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Crain's coming through with a rather significant update. Looks like Corewell will tear down some buildings in Monroe North and turn into parking lots for their employees. They do want to build residential as well to supply for "residents/fellows".

I don't like the idea of tearing down buildings for parking lots. But I understand the reasoning here as well, as they combine employees into one campus. I would prefer the buildings torn down turn into parking garages with residential on top of them, as parking lots add nothing to the neighborhood.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/corewell-health-master-plan-calls-for-razing-buildings-to-make-way-for-housing-parking/

• Like 1

Agreed, but I think we all knew it was coming. I like that they are planning two residential developments; one for residents/fellows, the other market rate. Sounds like they want to start the residents building ASAP. They mention proximity to the hospital. Sounds logical until it’s January and you are hiking up that hill. 😀

I wonder if they’ll run a shuttle 24/7 between the Monroe north campus and Butterworth?

I hope they partner with someone on the market rate housing and go  “big”. Could be a lot of new residential in Monroe North in the next few years. 

Joe

• Like 2

Spectrum(I hate saying Corewell) is already building literal towers of parking at this point.  When I worked there they had a critical parking shortage for employees.  I just took the bus in,  they made it super easy to take the bus. From a 9-5 standpoint the bus system in GR works pretty well if you're commuting inside the urban area(or at least it did).  Since I've had to move from GR I don't know the transit setup anymore, or if the route that travels up and down Michigan is still free.   I understand the bulk of Spectrum employees are suburbanites that don't live on transit corridors. Nor is the collective mindset geared toward taking public transit.  I'm sure parking accessibility is a huge liability toward retention, but seriously how much more parking do they need?

I agree the city should fight this.  I'd rather see another big ramp get built in No-Mo than a sea of  parking.  The real question is will we ever actually see the region invest in actual, meaningful transit infrastructure  that is convenient enough to mode shift a good chunk of downtown commuters away from autos?   Even upgrading existing BRT routes to actual "rapid" with full time dedicate lanes and guideways might be enough to tip the scale.   I know, I know....I'm being an idealist which is uncharacteristic of me.   

• Like 4

On 9/29/2023 at 1:44 PM, demhem said:

"Monroe North: your newest suburban office park!" /s This is really disappointing and I hope that the Planning Commission holds its ground like they did  recently with Mary Free Bed. The housing is great, but the amount of surface parking will significantly set the neighborhood back. 

I don't really see the comparison bw Spectrum and Mary Free Bed.  How many surface lots does Spectrum have in the core compared to MFB or even Grand Valley?  I don't like surface lots, but these are not going to stay surface lots, the land is just far too valuable.  Corewell is now the largest employer in Michigan, which is impressive.  They will keep growing and their employees need housing.  It's not turning into Southfield

Environmentally, it seems super wasteful to tear down recently upgraded buildings like the distillery, but legally an unused building is much more of a liability than a parking lot.  I believe a pretty significant amount of waste in landfills is demo-d buildings from what I've heard 

I get what you are saying, yet I don’t get what you are saying. Looking at what you have labeled bait and switch, they aren’t drastically different from Ottawa, west. They are showing more green space where liner buildings were indicated, and a parking lot that was marked “future dev zone”, but the rest is relatively the same (as long as they do develop the residential portion and not simply pave it (I hope the city doesn’t allow them to add temporary parking and they have to keep it open until it’s developed). 

East of Ottawa is definitely a concern, but I don’t think the price of a surface lot is so costly that it won’t be developed for decades. Especially at the price they paid for some of these buildings (I believe Eastern Kill got quite a payday selling their building). 

I’m not a fan of a sea of parking, but I also don’t think Corewell is trying to pull some sort of Super Evil Mega Corp. maneuver to dupe the city. 

Joe

• Like 3