Sligh Furniture Block Redevelopment

joeDowntown

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was curious about this as well (in a 7 story building). One consideration, maybe they talked to some of the tenants currently using the space and will be working with artists, small businesses, etc? It's marked as Manufacturing, but wondering if it'll end up being a mix of office/warehouse/work space for small companies (which would be pretty cool). Just a thought.

That would be a great fit for the building and the area. I commissioned a bookshelf from a woodworker who had space like that in an old factory on Godfrey. There was quite the neat assortment of businesses there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a piece from MLive detailing the changes to the development.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/01/large-grand-rapids-housing-retail-development-scaled-back-by-307-units.html

“It’s really this designation by the state historic preservation office that is now driving these changes,” said Elizabeth Zeller, senior planner for the city of Grand Rapids. “They’ve had to rethink the project.”

• Like 1

The change comes after the Sligh building, built in the 1880s, received a historic designation from the state of Michigan. That designation means a concrete addition to the original 1880s brick structure can no longer be demolished and replaced with a parking garage and five-story residential building.

“It’s really this designation by the state historic preservation office that is now driving these changes,” said Elizabeth Zeller, senior planner for the city of Grand Rapids. “They’ve had to rethink the project.”...

...The elimination of the proposed parking garage means the number of surface parking spots on the property would vastly increase.

Originally, when the demolition of the concrete addition to the Sligh building was planned, the development would have included 614 parking garage spaces. Now, that would drop to 69 garage parking spaces. In its place, the site would have 298 surface parking spaces. That change has reduced the size of a planned courtyard on the property, plans show.

Great job, State of Michigan! Dont let a needed housing and revitalization development get in the way of the massive historical importance of a box.

So now we have fewer units, less public space, and more surface parking. But we still have the box. Is all of that some nod to 1970s Michigan, or something?

These people are lucky they didn't sink the entire project by doing this. Leaving a ratty, but historically ratty, building to be gawked at and nothing more.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Great job, State of Michigan! Dont let a needed housing and revitalization development get in the way of the massive historical importance of a box.

So now we have fewer units, less public space, and more surface parking. But we still have the box. Is all of that some nod to 1970s Michigan, or something?

These people are lucky they didn't sink the entire project by doing this. Leaving a ratty, but historically ratty, building to be gawked at and nothing more.

Just remember that the developer wants to go after historic tax credits (to help pay for the project), 463 units is still a BIG development, and they COULD'VE put units in the building they aren't demolishing / not reduce the newer building from 6 to 5 stories. In this environment, it's probably a difficult development financially to get done. 

Sure, they can absolutely blame the parking ramp on the historic status, but I think it's more of a financial issue getting the numbers to work. It'll still check every box (more housing, affordable housing, reusing a long dilapidated building, etc. 

And personally, I think historic buildings add a texture to the city that most new builds can't.

Joe

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I'll have to disagree here. The housing units are so needed, but not at the expense of tearing down a building that is designated as historic. 

Personally, I hate that there's more surface parking and less green space, but I'm happy to see a building saved.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Just remember that the developer wants to go after historic tax credits (to help pay for the project), 463 units is still a BIG development, and they COULD'VE put units in the building they aren't demolishing / not reduce the newer building from 6 to 5 stories. In this environment, it's probably a difficult development financially to get done. 

Sure, they can absolutely blame the parking ramp on the historic status, but I think it's more of a financial issue getting the numbers to work. It'll still check every box (more housing, affordable housing, reusing a long dilapidated building, etc. 

And personally, I think historic buildings add a texture to the city that most new builds can't.

Joe

Guess the developers better step up and propose a 40 story highrise at, say... Ohhh..... Fulton and Ionia to make up for the housing shortage 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...