800 Lea , 45 stories, 610', 120 (?) condos, 60 capacity underground garage)

markhollin

4 minutes ago, Licec said:

I agree for the most part. I think this building should be redesigned completely. I'm also very disappointed with SoBro as a whole. Nothing there is actually appealing. The art work called Stix isn't. The towers currently there aren't. Circle South, the Ritz buildings, The One Hotel and the Embassy Suites are just glass boxes. The roundabout itself is a confusing mess traffic wise. And the convention center that spurred all of the mediocrity there is very underwhelming both internally and externally.

I do agree that the Stix artwork is head-scratching. I'm sure there's a great story behind its significance. I just think aesthetically, it does not look as good as so many other public art displays could look.

But I think the further and further Nashville gets into this skyscraper and development boom, that this area will get some nice designs.

This area is really primed for some solid architectural designs.

Edited by jjbradleyBrooklyn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Baronakim said:

How much do you get paid to be an architectural critic?  If you expect the Sidney Opera House, the Pickle or the Shard, you are SOL bro.   When you come up with a way to make cut stone or brick as economical and insulative  as glass curtainwall, I am sure you will be the most successful architect since Frank Lloyd Wrong.

The development companies are worth hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars. They can afford to develop stunning, iconic buildings that have flair. But they choose to be cheap and not do it.

Edited by Licec
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

I do agree that the Stix artwork is head-scratching. I'm sure there's a great story behind its significance. I just think aesthetically, it does not look as good as so many other public art displays could look.

But I think the further and further Nashville gets into this skyscraper and development boom, that this area will get some nice designs.

This area is really primed for some solid architectural designs.

There’s not really much significance behind like any modern public art. I just don’t think modern society has enough to say to make good public art. I scroll through the public art thread in this forum pretty much every day and for the few pieces that aren’t idiotic and pretentious my reaction is mostly “huh, could be worse” or “eh, kind of clever.” In the past there was usually some sort of guiding ethos behind cultures that was glorified and beautified through art, but a culture where the average person spends 15 hours a day staring at some sort of screen just doesn’t have the cultural lead in its pencil for it. You could make the case that much of the beautiful art is on those screens, but that doesn’t really beautify public places for future generations like past examples. 

6 hours ago, Baronakim said:

How much do you get paid to be an architectural critic?  If you expect the Sidney Opera House, the Pickle or the Shard, you are SOL bro.   When you come up with a way to make cut stone or brick as economical and insulative  as glass curtainwall, I am sure you will be the most successful architect since Frank Lloyd Wrong.

lol not to make my whole post a Debbie downer but it’s interesting how differing perspectives can be. I dislike all three of your examples of desirable architecture, especially the London examples. The Shard is too inhuman to me for a city like London, and the Pickle (or Gherkin) is basically a 600 foot pecker. The Sydney opera house is probably better than the other two, but it’s no Bolshoi. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

lol not to make my whole post a Debbie downer but it’s interesting how differing perspectives can be. I dislike all three of your examples of desirable architecture, especially the London examples. The Shard is too inhuman to me for a city like London, and the Pickle (or Gherkin) is basically a 600 foot pecker. The Sydney opera house is probably better than the other two, but it’s no Bolshoi. 

Well, as i am an architect, I am curious to what you (and Licec too)  would consider examples of what y'all consider more desirable.  I personally prefer the Chrysler Building, the TWA terminal bySaarinnien and Familia Sagrada but IMO genius seldom emerges but once or twice only in a generation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BNXS said:

I have friends from Tampa, Jacksonville, Austin, Charlotte who have all commented on how unremarkable and architecturally displeasing our current skyline is despite the surge of infill and vertical build. I believe what Licec may be pointing to is a complete lack of a 'signature' tower to not only add height, but also character to the plethora of cracker box shapes. The 505 is the arguably the pinnacle of our current skyline. Other than height, let's be honest, it's simply not the most visually appealing structure.  Don't get me wrong, infill is great, but I feel all of us who are experiencing Nashville's boom  are aching for that bold, unique design element our current skyline is begging for. 

This is a point I've been bemoaning on several strings.  Nowhere near hoping every new project is stylish and/or unique.  Just would like to see a few mixed in here and there to "lift" the profile of the skyline.

• Like 1

Nashville is definitely overdone with flatop towers.  Hey, we love the quantity but could use more quality.

Hopefully development along the river will bring some game changers. 

The area around Vandy and Belmont could get creative.

Already Nashville Yards has some cool styles on the way (Amazon 3 / Pinnacle).  

And from the Gulch to the Convention Center we may get some signature towers that will try to stand out. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Armacing said:

Personally, I would be satisfied if our skyline ends up looking like Calgary.  There's not really a major tower that defines that skyline, but the sheer mass of buildings causes people who see it to say "Wow, I guess there is a lot of business going on here!"  If we could have an unbroken chain of high-rises stretching from the riverfront to Vandy, I would consider that an absolute win even if we never get a supertall.

Yeah, good point. I just looked Calgary's skyline up, and was seeing how many skyscrapers they have now. Looks like roughly 40 over 400 feet, and another roughly 20-25 over 300 feet. So approximately 60-65 total over 300 feet currently. With several proposed and approved for construction.

Also, they have several skyscrapers with very good heights: 8 total between 600 and 810 feet. 

That's a very strong skyline. It reminds me a bit of Minneapolis' skyline, too.

I think Nashville will wind up having roughly 60-70 skyscrapers over 300 feet high, once the initial "boom phase" is done, in about 8-10 years. Then, each year, economy dependent, there will be another handful under construction or proposed, as demand allows. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BNXS said:

I have friends from Tampa, Jacksonville, Austin, Charlotte who have all commented on how unremarkable and architecturally displeasing our current skyline is despite the surge of infill and vertical build. I believe what Licec may be pointing to is a complete lack of a 'signature' tower to not only add height, but also character to the plethora of cracker box shapes. The 505 is the arguably the pinnacle of our current skyline. Other than height, let's be honest, it's simply not the most visually appealing structure.  Don't get me wrong, infill is great, but I feel all of us who are experiencing Nashville's boom  are aching for that bold, unique design element our current skyline is begging for. 

Signature Tower would help.

• Like 3