Our skyline in a few years

Rizzo

Heres what I have now, I plan on putting more into it, but its only something I played around with for about 15 minutes, dont hate.

ace1d4da12.jpg

This isnt my skyline photo, I found it.. :) but I swear, no harm or malice. Please don't come to my door and kill me... :(

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres what I have now, I plan on putting more into it, but its only something I played around with for about 15 minutes, dont hate.

ace1d4da12.jpg

This isnt my skyline photo, I found it.. :)  but I swear, no harm or malice. Please don't come to my door and kill me... :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not bad at all B) Boy, in order to get some good infill between Plaza Towers and Bridgewater, there are only a couple of places to go: Calder Plaza, the surface lot just to the East of the new courthouse, surface lot at Ionia and Lyon, the current GR Press Building and the post office site (bu-bye).

Rizzo, can you do another one using this infamous evening shot:

gr_downtown_river_panorama.jpg

Good job Rizzo. I like how you pipedreamed the Lyon/Ottawa building. :)

I assume we will know more about the Medical towers building on the 9th. That will help you fill in the blanks. One other building to consider is the new childrens hospital. That is supposed to be the highest building in the skyline because of its placement on the top of the hill.

Joe

This isnt my skyline photo, I found it.. :)  but I swear, no harm or malice. Please don't come to my door and kill me... :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Devos said the hotel is his and Van Andel's last hurah, so, probably no...

i had always thought ottawa & lyon was one of dp fox's ventures? in which case i believe we can see this project resurfacing if the office vacancy rates improve.

a side note is that dp fox just purchased 2 more auto dealerships, giving them 13 total. with the rampage and griffins they in their own right are striking quite well on their own and may be a lead tenent within 10 years. just my very pure speculation.

Well, Devos said the hotel is his and Van Andel's last hurah, so, probably no...

this quote that rizzo was referring to was made by the elders devos and van andel prior to van andel's death.

while it will be there last hurrah, i think their children will carry on quite nicely and which the one runs dp fox. i always remembered o&l being a dp fox venture, so i would believe we could eventually see the project resurface.

DP Fox is owned by Dan Devos. The "last hurrah" statement came from Rich Devos. Totally separate companies.

And if I am not mistaken, RDV Development is owned by Dick Devos. They are partners in Cherry St. Landing. Speaking of Cherry Street Landing, I have heard very little about new development. Has anybody else heard anything recently?

Joe

JDK, 

I could be wrong, but isn't the D in DP Fox, Devos,

I thought that the younger Devos child owned fox motors...

in that case it would still be a devos thing,

can someone enlighten?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know, DP Fox still has rights to the land - so there is always potential. Over the years, Dan DeVos has also been quoted as saying that the project is not dead, just dormant.

I still think that moving the city and county into it would have been ideal - especially when the new courthouse was going in.

Dan DeVos is the DeVos behind DP Fox and its proposed Lyon and Ottawa tower. DP Fox also owns Fox Motors Group, griffins, among other things. DP Fox does own the land at Lyon and Ottawa. My brother-in-law works for the organization.

Baronium,

You need to get the inside scoop! Is it dead, dormant or on life support? :)

Joe

Dan DeVos is the DeVos behind DP Fox and its proposed Lyon and Ottawa tower.  DP Fox also owns Fox Motors Group, griffins, among other things.  DP Fox does own the land at Lyon and Ottawa.  My brother-in-law works for the organization.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rich is the one running for govenor, not Dan.

From what I understand the L&O tower is shelved, but should resurface in a few years. We (the public) probably won't hear anything about it until it's ready to go. I get the impression they are waiting until after the new hotel is open to reevaluate space needs downtown. I will let you know if I hear anything different.

Rich is the one running for govenor, not Dan.

From what I understand the L&O tower is shelved, but should resurface in a few years.  We (the public) probably won't hear anything about it until it's ready to go.  I get the impression they are waiting until after the new hotel is open to reevaluate space needs downtown.  I will let you know if I hear anything different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They should just change the whole flippin design to residential. It is going to be hard to find a large office user looking for that much class A space downtown. I was perusing this thread by our good friend monsoon over in the Charlotte, NC forum, and they have some great looking residential condo towers going up. Now don't get any ideas about moving to Charlotte :P

Will probably pan out a lot like River House. Grooters did a great job of keeping it low key and out of the media. I still have not seen a lot about it in the media. In some ways this is probably smarter - removes some of the NIMBY element. You know the nosey ass people that read the paper, then complain, then show up to Commission meetings, etc...

You know what I mean. Seems like there are more of them than us.

They should just change the whole flippin design to residential. It is going to be hard to find a large office user looking for that much class A space downtown. I was perusing this thread by our good friend monsoon over in the Charlotte, NC forum, and they have some great looking residential condo towers going up.

That would be one hell of a condo tower. However, it is in a terrible location for residential and would really be more adapted to a few law firms and a bank or two. Ideally, they need to ty to get the city/county to bite. I would offer them lower than prime rates with the knowledge that they would be tenants for decades.

Honestly, they both need new buildings (as well as the state and feds) and the location could not be more perfect. Add the proximity to the Courthouse and the PD and you have a winner.

Honestly though. We are probably soon going to see a mini boom of government building any year now. The Federal building was too small when it was built, and that was when the metro was about 500,000 max. Same with the state building. Both are way overcrowded and literally falling apart. The city and county are crammed in their building too. Hell, 3/4 of the county workers downtown are not even in the county building - they have four other large annex offices full of IT, lawyers, staff, etc... In short, none of the government buildings in Grand Rapids were built for growth. They are all in terrible need of replacement.

But being in Michigan, I am sure they will continue cycling through government offices in Arizona and Florida first. After all, they get pretty much all of out federal money.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the L&O project was unveiled in a few years as a multiple use building. Maybe we can get a little more height that way. I'd really like to see something top 500 ft.

I agree this site would be ideal for the city/county. There's a lot of red tape there though.

either the county, or the city should use the old bus terminal for their own use, and let a hotel, or retail development use the city hall site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here Here! The city or county should not be given the fantastic corner at Lyon and Ottawa :blink: Put them in some obscure corner of downtown where it won't matter that they pay $0 in taxes. The old bus lot just behind the courthouse (and next to the old Magoos) would be perfect. Or better yet, how about in the old cinder block factory right next to the S-curve near GVSU. :P

JDK, 

I could be wrong, but isn't the D in DP Fox, Devos,

I thought that the younger Devos child owned fox motors...

in that case it would still be a devos thing,

can someone enlighten?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MJLO:

The "D" in DPFox is for "Dan" as in Dan DeVos. The "P" in it is for his business partner in the venture (and his wife), "Pam" as in Pamela DeVos.

Archived