South Richmond Development

whw53

Adding 3 projects to the development map which should break ground in the coming months. 

1. The Heights At Brady Square - a 264 unit rental community at 2200 Brady St in Bellemeade of which Phase 1 has been secured financing.

https://dakotapartners.net/virginia/dakota-partners-awarded-financing-for-brady-square-phase-1/

BradyRender.FlatsBuilding-300x142.jpg.4155230b3343e49ff047ab15c74dec22.jpg

BradyRender.TownhouseBuilding-300x142.jpg.145ab3e3ad03f371ee07be86ebd28e1c.jpg

2.  Urbana at Hioaks - 216 unit LIHTC apartment development off Hioaks Rd.

urbanaAtHioaks.jpg.a977493b5a978785e911835adcc7975f.jpg

3. 7000 Carnation St. Applied for Community Unit Plan this month for a 218 unit multi family building. at corner of Hioaks Rd and Carnation St. Markham planning as the consultancy.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I posted this here rather than in Manchester, since this development technically is in Swansboro, not Manchester proper.

Next phase of the big residential development on Semmes Avenue near Cowardin in Swansboro (where all those huge, old warehouses used to be) -- phase one was townhouse construction. Phase two -- a pair of apartment buildings totaling 200 apartments. Looks like these will be built a bit farther west up Semmes -stretching south past McDonough Street - between W 22nd and W 24th. This is shaping up to be some OUTSTANDING density in this part of the city.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/12/22/200-apartments-now-on-drawing-board-for-belle-heights-in-manchester/

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

New apartment complex going up near Chippenham & Midlo on the city side of Chippenham. Double benefit - it will bring some density to that area of the city, and the complex will be geared toward income-based rentals, which will be a help to a lot of folks who have need for available housing. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/03/29/income-based-apartment-complex-rising-in-south-richmond/

Hioaks-Elevation.jpg

Hioaks-Site-Plan.jpeg

Screenshot (1093).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

This intersection will be built up nicely soon.  I wish this project on the Richmond side had some more height but it should be substantial enough to see from the parkway. The Chesterfield side has a 10 story hotel and some 6 and 7 story residential planned.    This interchange will be the must built up interchange south of the river (64 at Broad is  more built up I guess but it isn’t very visible). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

This intersection will be built up nicely soon.  I wish this project on the Richmond side had some more height but it should be substantial enough to see from the parkway. The Chesterfield side has a 10 story hotel and some 6 and 7 story residential planned.    This interchange will be the must built up interchange south of the river (64 at Broad is  more built up I guess but it isn’t very visible). 

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more height in that 7 to 10 story range beginning to sprout on the Richmond side of Chippenham/Midlo during this decade. That whole interchange could look very different by 2030.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, I miss RVA said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more height in that 7 to 10 story range beginning to sprout on the Richmond side of Chippenham/Midlo during this decade. That whole interchange could look very different by 2030.

Certainly interested in seeing the potential for the land around Rosie's.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Certainly interested in seeing the potential for the land around Rosie's.

@wrldcoupe4often points to the difference between the city's and the county's gross receipts tax being one factor that would kibosh development in the city in favor of the county. Given the ongoing disparity, it would be interesting to see that interchange by around 2030. If this issue held true to form, I (sadly) can imagine seeing quite a bit of density and height sprouting up on the west side of Chippenham around that interchange - with smaller, less impressive development on the east side of Chippenham. Hopefully that won't be the case - but if it is, perhaps it would wake someone up downtown because we'd have a live-action lab example of what's wrong with the gross receipts tax structure in the city vs the suburbs. Not that the powers that be at city hall would actually give a flying fig - they seem blind to a lot of things that if they'd just open their eyes they could fix.

Come to think of it, the facility is honestly large enough that Lowe's could build an oval race track around the perimeter of the building and sponsor something like a delivery truck race - maybe only just 10 or 20 laps - but wow - perhaps instead of a company outing they could have a race between say 10 Lowe's delivery trucks (not semis - something like vans or pickup trucks) driven by competitive employees (with proper signing of waivers, of course, in the event of debilitating injury or untimely death) -- winner gets a choice between power tools, home construction supplies, etc., stuff like that.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's the press release from Second Horizon Development: https://www.secondhorizon.com/news-launch 

I'm hopeful they can really revitalize and enhance Stony Point--keeping some of the star attraction tenants (Saks, Cinebistro, some restaurants), adding more local/regular retail need tenants (somewhat like what Willow Lawn has done), opening access to Huguenot Rd., adding in more residential and developing some of the huge surface parking to increase the density and add more mixed uses. I wonder if there's even a way to connect to the river and nature, though I think other roads and private residential areas might make that difficult. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Would love to see some real residential density here...like a small downtown (updown?) with highrise residential (if the neighbors to its west will allow it).  Here's hoping they re-invent the area to be a vibrant hub of activities, retail, and residential.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Would love to see some real residential density here...like a small downtown (updown?) with highrise residential (if the neighbors to its west will allow it).  Here's hoping they re-invent the area to be a vibrant hub of activities, retail, and residential.

I'd love to see residential density added to the mix - it's a good location for it. @eandsleeit would be really cool to see some kind of high-rise construction here - however I have the feeling that the residents of the "suburbs inside the city" neighborhoods nearby (not to mention the folks in Bon Air) turning hardcore NIMBY if anything over 5 or 6 stories is proposed. And even then, I can hear the kvetching about traffic for something even just 5 or 6 stories if the buildings are large enough and there's enough density introduced. 

Good thing for traffic is that it’s a closed park without direct access to any road other than Chippenham, so doubt you’ll hear complaints. Residential is find but the city must find a way to be more attractive to commercial investment. We can’t just replace all these major tax paying commercial endeavors with residential. Seems odd to say, but residents are a drain on city resources for a city that seems already drained. Ideally, the future of Stony Point is a denser more mixed use walkable node. 

• Like 2

Yes, +100 on adding density, mixed uses, and more connectivity so this is a vital and economically viable  node for the city. I look forward to seeing the different perspectives unfold in the comments in Biz Sense. I'm rooting for a gem from Bruce Milam, but something tells me Brian Glass will have something less positive to say on Stony Point. What's interesting is that when you actually crunch the numbers, it's been a good investment for the city with a positive rate of return. Though I never thought subsidy should go into malls. But still, it wasn't an investment failure, yet I bet the public perception and narrative will be "another 6th St. Marketplace."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Good thing for traffic is that it’s a closed park without direct access to any road other than Chippenham, so doubt you’ll hear complaints. Residential is find but the city must find a way to be more attractive to commercial investment. We can’t just replace all these major tax paying commercial endeavors with residential. Seems odd to say, but residents are a drain on city resources for a city that seems already drained. Ideally, the future of Stony Point is a denser more mixed use walkable node. 

Fully agreed on all fronts, @wrldcoupe4 My question is: how do we do this? Has residential development become low-hanging fruit and a crutch for redevelopment? I get the suspicion that because of the economy right now, office and mixed-use development -- at least for some odd reason for the RVA market (as opposed to in other cities) -- seems to be a VERY difficult nut to crack, although it appears to be met with more success in the counties. Commercial development -- especially anything of any size/density -- is more expensive on its own, yes? And as a result, it's being more significantly impacted by the current spate of inflation and crazy high costs of supplies, shortages, etc.

So how do we get there? Particularly if our market size isn't "big enough" and the lack thereof seems to constantly kibosh commercial projects of any appreciable size. Organic "mom & pop" small-business growth - as nice and feel-good as it is, just ain't gonna cut it -- we need something to really generate tax dollars. What's the solution? How do we extricate ourselves from what seems to be akin to an economic Sword of Damocles when it comes to larger-scale commercial development in the city?

Edited by I miss RVA

• 1 month later...