South Richmond Development

whw53

Great story in today's RBS - a new pizzaria has opened in Forest Hill at 34th and Semmes. Gotta give a plug to the small businesses opening, particularly over on Southside - and a shout out to one of my old stompin' grounds - even through Forest Hill is a ways east of where I grew up (I grew up on Forest Hill Avenue in Granite - just east of the Powhite Parkway) I still went up to Forest Hill Park ALLLLLLLLLLL the time when I was a kid, and 34th and Semmes ain't that far away.

Particularly to y'all living in Manchester: how 'bout making the short trek over to Forest Hill and give these folks some business. :tw_thumbsup: Hoping to see them make a great success of what is a fantastic add to that neighborhood.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/13/zombie-pizza-opens-near-forest-hill/

Zombie-Pizza.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

The old Oak Grove elementary site  could become 204 apartments and 15 townhomes under a plan from Lynx Ventures. 

https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2022/aug/11/developers-want-convert-old-school-apartments/

Interesting! While (obviously) I do hope that the city will choose the developer and we can get those apartments and townhomes there, I do get the position of the folks with the civic association. I honestly wouldn't necessarily consider them classic "NIMBYs" because they're not coming out in opposition to the developer's plan "just because" (in other words, they don't like it) - there actually is a competing interest that also has a plan and also has put in a bid for the property and the plan is a worthwhile plan that honestly could be of benefit to the neighborhood. Idk - I'm always in favor of more more more more MORE when it comes to development - keeping the momentum particularly as the development radius in Manchester begins to expand into surrounding South Richmond neighborhoods - but I do understand the position this group is taking and can't fault them for it.

I know - what happened - sounds like I must have bumped my head and forgotten who I am, right? :tw_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New eatery coming to Westover Hills. Nice story in today's RBS. My only correction to the story is that said location is technically still in Westover Hills, not Forest Hill as the article (and headline) describe it. Forest Hill is a little farther east, closer to Forest Hill Park. There's no real 'boundary' - it's kind of a nebulous, blurry thing - but any location on Westover Hills Blvd particularly north of Bassett Avenue really is in Westover Hills.

Either way - I'm SUPER glad to see this area coming back to life - it's exciting that my old stomping grounds are enjoying their own renaissance! 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/29/goatocado-to-expand-with-new-spot-in-forest-hill/

goat1.jpg

Screenshot (2298).png

• Like 1

Also on Monday, Council approved 8-0 the plan to transfer the former Oak Grove Elementary School site to Lynx Ventures for its plan of 220 apartments and 15 townhomes.

More from the Richmond Free Press- https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2022/sep/29/lynx-ventures-agrees-pay-500000-former-school/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Also on Monday, Council approved 8-0 the plan to transfer the former Oak Grove Elementary School site to Lynx Ventures for its plan of 220 apartments and 15 townhomes.

More from the Richmond Free Press- https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2022/sep/29/lynx-ventures-agrees-pay-500000-former-school/

Surprised Trammell was in support of this. Maybe all those little devils down in the netherworlds ARE lacing up ice skates and grabbing hockey sticks after all! :tw_smiley:

Seriously, though, glad this has been approved. It should be a really solid asset for the neighborhood, and having 220 income-based housing units available there no doubt will help quite a few people.

• Haha 3

Aside from the much needed affordable apartments, I'm loving the idea of more townhomes/rowhomes in the Southside. Maybe they can be built in the same vein as the recent ones on Old Warwick Rd near Midlothian Tpk.

I don't have pics but here they are on Google Street view

https://maps.app.goo.gl/n162xdqRA1MpGza36

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our friends at Hourigan just made a crisp $128M off a deal to sell the Lowes-anchored warehouses at  3201 Commerce Road at the Deepwater Industrial Park at Deepwater Terminal. No idea if they might funnel some of that windfall into the new condo development at the Silos, but they closed on this deal Nov. 1.  Nice!!

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/07/hourigan-sells-lowes-anchored-warehouse-in-south-richmond-for-128m/

deepwater1-2048x1184.jpg

Screenshot (2448).png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

WRIC 8 is reporting that there was a big protest today in Stratford Hills about the proposed Sheetz coming to the old Stratford Hills Shopping center. Of COURSE the Stratford Hills NIMBYs are out in force - and what's their argument: "charm". (I mean, is there ANY other argument when it comes to RVA NIMBYs?)  C'mon, y'all - can we PLEASE unhook the "charm" morphine drip? RVA has spent my entire lifetime obsessing over "charm" and "character" -- I don't even know what to say any more because I'm honestly surprised the drum head actually still holds up, it's been beaten so vigorously for so long now. Unreal. Just unreal.

So I suppose they're rather have the "charming" and "character-filled" vacant, boarded up buildings, lack of vitality/business, etc., at the entrance to the shopping center? 

Mind you - back in the day, I shopped at that shopping center thousands of times over the years when I was growing up and as a young adult. I saw a lot of fast-foot places come and go, 7-11's, gas stations - and for all the "charm" and "character" I always lamented that this shopping center wasn't more lively and doing better. It always - ALWAYS - seemed to me to like it was on its last leg and that it wouldn't take much for the entire place to simply fold up. Thankfully, it never happened - and there were restaurants and other establishments that came and went. To put it in perspective, I go all the way back to the days when there was a Colonial Stores grocery store in the shopping center - and that chain hasn't existed for MANY decades now. (I recall shopping there back when I was in grade school - and I just turned 60.)

Idk ... it goes back to my argument that RIchmond is a CITY. And CITIES GROW and they CHANGE. You CAN'T hold on to the past forever. At SOME POINT - for the sake of actually thriving - you HAVE to let go - and let the city grow.

From WRIC TV-8 News:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/residents-in-richmonds-stratford-hill-neighborhood-protest-construction-of-new-sheetz/

drone-sheetz.webp

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

On 11/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, whw53 said:

They're right - I would much prefer a WAWA.

Sorry, but I want my mozzarella stick topped burger!

On 11/19/2022 at 7:36 PM, I miss RVA said:

WRIC 8 is reporting that there was a big protest today in Stratford Hills about the proposed Sheetz coming to the old Stratford Hills Shopping center. Of COURSE the Stratford Hills NIMBYs are out in force - and what's their argument: "charm". (I mean, is there ANY other argument when it comes to RVA NIMBYs?)  C'mon, y'all - can we PLEASE unhook the "charm" morphine drip? RVA has spent my entire lifetime obsessing over "charm" and "character" -- I don't even know what to say any more because I'm honestly surprised the drum head actually still holds up, it's been beaten so vigorously for so long now. Unreal. Just unreal.

So I suppose they're rather have the "charming" and "character-filled" vacant, boarded up buildings, lack of vitality/business, etc., at the entrance to the shopping center? 

I can understand Westover Hills, but Stratford Hills as having "charm?"  Give me a break...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah.  I don’t get the opposition. 
Everyone is looking to have their choice of neighborhoods validated I guess.  A Sheetz on the corner doesn’t scream “I’ve arrived” like a Louis Vuitton lol.  Oh well, Sheetz is about as good as it’s going to get.  Years ago a Walgreens was rumored to go on this site.  I don’t think Sheetz  is any tackier.

• Like 2

I grew up in Stratford Hills (at least until I was 11), so, although that was many moons ago, I think I can speak with some authority when I say it has very little charm. While everything looks better from the vantage point of childhood memories, the area was already a bit run-down back then and adding a stretch of big boxes down the street didn't revitalize it much. 

That said, I can understand the opposition to Sheetz because it's dumpster-quality and arguably misspelled. Plus, although there's certainly an element of NIMBYism underlying the objections, full-throated allegations of NIMBYism are best used judiciously, IMHO, and this ain't it. Now, as @whw53said, if this were a WaWa.... :-)

But seriously, we're not talking about vital  development here.  What does a Sheetz really add there? Other than perhaps a headache? As @wrldcoupe4 points out, there's a decent argument to be made that the oversized-service-station-convenience-store concept (i.e., bigger than a 7-11+gas) doesn't suit the traffic pattern in the area.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

I grew up in Stratford Hills (at least until I was 11), so, although that was many moons ago, I think I can speak with some authority when I say it has very little charm. While everything looks better from the vantage point of childhood memories, the area was already a bit run-down back then and adding a stretch of big boxes down the street didn't revitalize it much. 

That said, I can understand the opposition to Sheetz because it's dumpster-quality and arguably misspelled. Plus, although there's certainly an element of NIMBYism underlying the objections, full-throated allegations of NIMBYism are best used judiciously, IMHO, and this ain't it. Now, as @whw53said, if this were a WaWa.... :-)

But seriously, we're not talking about vital  development here.  What does a Sheetz really add there? Other than perhaps a headache? As @wrldcoupe4 points out, there's a decent argument to be made that the oversized-service-station-convenience-store concept (i.e., bigger than a 7-11+gas) doesn't suit the traffic pattern in the area.

I grew up in Granite - exactly one mile east of the Hathaway Towers building door-to-door (I measured on Google Maps from my old house to the Hathaway building) - my bedroom (2nd floor) was on the west side of the house and in the winter with foliage off the trees, I could see the top of the Hathaway building on the horizon off to the west. All of that to say - I agree with you. Stratford Hills Shopping Center has very little in the way of charm. It always looked like it was one recession away from being boarded up and bulldozed - yet somehow it survived. My favorite place in that shopping center when I was growing up was an old hardware store that was probably one of the original tenants when the strip center was first built way back when. 

You're right about Sheetz being a bit of a dumpster-quality kind of business - but honestly, I'm not sure what else aside from, say, a Walgreens might go there. Would WaWa be any better? (Methinks not...)  True, traffic would be a real concern - and as Coupe said, it's far from an easy trek through that area as it is now. What has always amazed me, though, about this strip shopping center is that the parking lot seems WAY outsized for amount of business these retailers get.  I'm looking at the picture, though, and there are (surprisingly) a fair number of cars in the lot. I just don't ever remember it being extremely loaded up though.

Hard to say either way. I don't see a Sheetz bringing much added value to the area. But neither do I see letting shuttered buildings remaining boarded up bringing any intrinsic value either.

Edited by I miss RVA