South Richmond Development

whw53

We lived down the street in the Stratford Hills apartments, right next to Thompson Middle School. I used to watch the cars pass by on Forest Hill Avenue from our balcony, and the trash company's logo on the dumpster was my strike zone when I'd throw tennis balls against it and pretend I was Steve Carlton or Fernando Valenzuela or Dwight Gooden. We shopped at the very tiny, long-gone Ukrop's, and I'd get my hair cut at the barber's next door. As for the actual Stratford Hills Shopping Center, some of my earliest memories are waiting with my mom for the bus downtown outside the office building across the street. I remember taking our TV to get fixed at Bill May TV. And years later, as an adult, I'd come back to the area to take my dog to Critter Town Bath House. 

I mean, my memories are kind of irrelevant to the discussion, but one reason I like this board is that I consider re various areas of the town what was there, what is there, and what could be.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

We lived down the street in the Stratford Hills apartments, right next to Thompson Middle School. I used to watch the cars pass by on Forest Hill Avenue from our balcony, and the trash company's logo on the dumpster was my strike zone when I'd throw tennis balls against it and pretend I was Steve Carlton or Fernando Valenzuela or Dwight Gooden. We shopped at the very tiny, long-gone Ukrop's, and I'd get my hair cut at the barber's next door. As for the actual Stratford Hills Shopping Center, some of my earliest memories are waiting with my mom for the bus downtown outside the office building across the street. I remember taking our TV to get fixed at Bill May TV. And years later, as an adult, I'd come back to the area to take my dog to Critter Town Bath House. 

I mean, my memories are kind of irrelevant to the discussion, but one reason I like this board is that I consider re various areas of the town what was there, what is there, and what could be.

Idk - I think our memories of various areas of RVA that are changing (or have the potential to change) are valuable and relevant to the conversation - it certainly adds richness to the discussion, particularly for those of us who go back quite a ways growing up in the River City many MANY moons ago and remember how things were (which fuels excitement of the potential of what could be!)  My mother LOVED that old long-gone Ukrops - we shopped there ALL - THE - TIME. I also got my hair cut (on occasion) at that barber shop (though I frequented a couple of barbers in Westover Hills more regularly because they were friends of my dad). Now - do you go back far enough to remember (in the shopping center that had the Ukrops) either 1.) the old Ben Franklin store that was on the far southwest corner, all the way at the end and 2.) the Whistle Stop Train Shoppe hobby store? OMG - when I was a kid, I LIVED for the opportunities to go into those stores. I got a TON of model railroad stuff at the Whistle Stop - and my parents bought me my first-ever issue of Sports Illustrated - January of 1971 - coverage of Super Bowl V - from the Ben Franklin. As I recall, they had a small soda fountain and we'd go there and get milkshakes now and then. I seem to remember that I got my second-ever issue of Sports Illustrated from that Ben Franklin later that year - early June 1971 - coverage of the Indianapolis 500.

Either way - all of this is to say that RVA is growing, changing, moving forward - which is what cities are meant to do. Much as I might miss that old Ukrops or the old Colonial Stores grocery store in the Stratford Hills shopping center or some of the other businesses, those are fond memories that will always remain - and it makes me all the more excited about what the future might hold. Mind you, Stratford Hills isn't a "hotspot" of rapid change the way Scott's Addition or lower Manchester are these days - but that doesn't preclude growth and change from coming to the area. I think exciting times are ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Everyone keeps mentioning Wawa but there is already one down the road just on the other side of Chippenham Pkwy.  That is actually a stated reason as to why Sheetz wants to open a store.

How about a Walgreens or a CVS? I'm guessing there might be either one (or both) lurking around a little farther west near Chippenham - but those corner parcels like that are often good fits for a stand-alone Walgreens. Maybe not the highest and best use - but they'd probably do plenty of business.

• Like 1

Just for fun and out of curiosity and nostalgia, I did a little research into Colonial Stores since it was a part of my RVA childhood back in the '60s and '70s. They had a big presence in Virginia in general and in Richmond in particular.

Thought I'd share a couple of pictures of Colonial Stores in the southeast (not in Richmond) that look VERY much like the two that were the closest to me when I was growing up. The first one looks very much like the store that was on Westover Hills Boulevard - if I recall it was in the building that Safeway ended up in for DECADES (close to 49th and Clarence).  The second one looks very much like the one that was in the Stratford Hills Shopping Center - which I think was actually the same store (meaning people and business) that simply relocated from Westover Hills.

Colonial-Broad1.jpg

colonialstores-2.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

A small but nice adaptive reuse project on W. 31st Street, two blocks south of Semmes Avenue in Woodland Heights. A 99-year-old former nursing home that has sat vacant for a decade is to be converted into 19 apartments, if the developer can secure the SUP for which he has filed. The former Manor nursing home building is pretty badly run down cosmetically - BUT - is quite structurally sound - making the project feasible.

Should be a nice mini-insertion of density into that part of Southside.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/22/realtor-trio-plans-to-convert-rundown-old-nursing-home-into-apartments-near-forest-hill/

Manor-1.jpeg

Screenshot (2484).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

Wow... the Richmond Times-Dispatch seems intent on giving the Sheetz/Stratford Hills Shopping Center kerfuffle as much oxygen as humanly possible.

Here's their latest and greatest. 

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/richmond-residents-hope-2009-traffic-study-will-deter-developers-from-building-new-sheetz/

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

A local developer -- Richmond Hill -- is planning a neat little pocket subdivision off of Forest Hill Avenue just west of Willow Oaks Country Club -- (roughly a half mile or so west of where I grew up, btw!) There's an old 1907 house that sits tucked back off of Forest Hill that will be razed to make way for the street and cul de sac. Richmond Hill is working on a couple of projects in Westhampton as well.

Very cool to see this development set to come to a stones throw from my old neck of the woods! 

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/05/local-builder-planning-10-home-subdivision-near-willow-oaks/

WillowOaks1-700x464.jpg

WillowOaks2-700x401.png

Screenshot (2528).png

Screenshot (2527).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, whw53 said:

POD filed 12\29 will bring 'mixed use residential and commercial' to Westover Hills Village. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/9200e354-4aa5-410c-89a8-f6684f288752?tab=locations

4701FroestHillPOD.jpg

Wow!! The new year is certainly starting off red hot!! Didn't see all of these PODs coming! VERY excited to see what might be built here. This block is close to where I grew up on  Forest Hill Ave  -- the fire station (immediately to the left of the site of the proposed new development) is exactly one and a quarter miles door-to-door from the house in which I grew up. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 7:35 PM, Child2021 said:

Another day, Another new development...
image.thumb.png.726dfc885d8eae414eadcae56faa3ed1.png

image.thumb.png.8342ffdf5f30028bb6ea4cbbcc18da07.png

7000 Carnation St. 

Plans.pdf

More good news!

This project has re-surfaced and looks like it's moving forward.  The development will bring 218 income-based apartments to 7000 Carnation Street in Beaufont Oaks - just south of Chippenham Parkway. 

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/11/local-developer-planning-218-income-based-apartments-near-chippenham-hospital/

LynxCarnation1-700x347.jpg

LynxCarnation3-700x225.jpg

LynxCarnation2-700x449.jpg

Screenshot (2831).png

Screenshot (2832).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

Great article from a DC publication about Richmond’s south side. Hits on growth, rezoning, affordable housing, population growth, etc. Even has two photos of cranes in Manchester!!!  Gotta steal those for our cranes thread!!

https://ggwash.org/view/87889/could-rezoning-key-corridors-encourage-new-growth-on-richmonds-long-overlooked-southside

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Great article from a DC publication about Richmond’s south side. Hits on growth, rezoning, affordable housing, population growth, etc. Even has two photos of cranes in Manchester!!!  Gotta steal those for our cranes thread!!

https://ggwash.org/view/87889/could-rezoning-key-corridors-encourage-new-growth-on-richmonds-long-overlooked-southside

Really great article, @eandslee! Images indeed have been snarfled and they'll be appearing on the forum quite soon.:tw_thumbsup: :tw_wink:  I'm saving one of the two pix for the Cranes thread (I might slip it in this month - or wait and use it for the February update). 

One VERY interesting point in the article - and it has to do with RVA's projected population growth - and it cited the Richmond 300 plan's data that the city planners were using a couple of years ago when the plan was in the home stretch of being finalized. Check out this quote:

"With some population projections for Virginia’s capital anticipating up to as many as 114,000 new Richmonders (a roughly 50% increase in residents of the River City) over the next 15 years, Addison believes the time to plan for new people is now."

About the only thing I can say is:  from  GGW's Wyatt Gordon's keyboard to God's eyes. PLEASE!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!! I'd be able to live out the home stretch of my life a truly happy man if that were to happen! OMG! (That 114K would officially get us to 340K by 2037.)

This harkens back to our discussion the other day on one of the other threads: I just for the LIFE of me cannot fathom that with ALL THIS NEW construction going on - if it keeps going and the city keeps upzoning and building out at the pace she's been on these last few years - I just can't for the life of me imagine we could build out the city THIS much (extrapolating it out over, say, even to just 2030) and have a 10-year population increase of something nauseating like 9,500 residents. That would totally defy credulity IMNSHO. We'd HAVE to do better than that! And what with LEGO... CoStar ... and who knows who else the powers that be could possibly attract here over the next 10 to 15 years - and all the jobs that could come with those business relocations - and given how success breeds success breeds success breeds success... even if we didn't add a full-on 114,000 more residents to the city proper over 15 years - maybe we could add enough to at least crack 300K in population. That'd be a step in the right direction, to be sure!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

saw this from the Greater Greater Washington webpage about growth and upzoning on the southside of  Richmond.  

https://ggwash.org/view/87889/could-rezoning-key-corridors-encourage-new-growth-on-richmonds-long-overlooked-southside?

Belated Happy New Year, my friend! :tw_smile:

Really good article in the GWW. :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This one slid under the radar screens last week but is worth noting: yet more residential redevelopment coming to Westover Hills (my childhood stomping grounds!)- this time in the middle of the stretch of old retail buildings/restaurants that are part of the small legacy strip shopping centers on the north side of the 5000 block of Forest Hill Avenue. This new development -- particularly in the large brick building at 5047 Forest Hill - will bring upwards of 10 or 11 new apartments.

This is a small - but significant - continuation of the synergy coming to the stretch of Forest Hill Avenue between W. 48th Street/Prince George Road to the east and Prince Arthur/Jahnke roads to the west as this will be the THIRD residential redevelopment along this stretch. Along with the planned 30-unit building set to rise at the Westover Place portion just to the west - and the 40-unit building slated for the former Bank of America property at 4701 Forest Hill just to the east, this new development will increase the total of new apartment units to roughly 80 where, as of right now, none exist.

Unfortunately, there's one caveat/speedbump - the developer of the 30-unit project is in "waiting mode" to see if & how construction costs and interest rates change before moving forward with the development. From Mike's reporting last week:

Nolen Blackwood, who’s leading the project with Michael Plotkin, said that their plan is still in the works but that they’re mostly waiting to see if there will be an adjustment in building costs and interest rates before beginning construction. 

“We’re still waiting to see how the market reacts,” Blackwood said. “We own the lot jointly and we have an approved plan of development. We’re just waiting at this point.”

From last Thursday's RichmondBizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/06/dodson-deal-to-bring-new-apartments-next-to-the-locker-room-in-forest-hill/

dodson-forest-hill.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Screenshot (73).png

• Like 3

This one may be waiting for a little bit.  I’m not a subject matter expert, but with the limited knowledge I have on what the Fed is doing, I’ve read that they probably aren’t going to keep rates the same or lower interest rates for a while. In fact, they will probably continue to rise…for now. 

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

This one may be waiting for a little bit.  I’m not a subject matter expert, but with the limited knowledge I have on what the Fed is doing, I’ve read that they probably aren’t going to keep rates the same or lower interest rates for a while. In fact, they will probably continue to rise…for now. 

They might. Let's see how the rest of the year shakes out. I offer a humble reminder that it's a fool's errand to look at the current economic situation as if it's a U.S.A.-only problem that we can somehow "solve" by implementing this or that domestic policy. It's not, and we can't.

It's a GLOBAL situation (and it always has been) and we have only so much control over how the needle moves. Unfortunately, it's going to take time. A lot can change between now and this time next year. Who knows -- the situation might very well have improved dramatically a year from now.

Painful as it might be, particularly as we're chomping at the bit for so many projects to get underway, we just might have to accept the simple fact that we're going to have to be patient.

Edited by I miss RVA

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

A SUP has been filed for 124-units at 6417 Midlothian Blvd . This is just around the corner from another 24 units that were requested at 6613 Atmore Dr.

WOW - that stretch along and just off of Midlo is starting to POP now! Holy moly!  LOVE IT!

Check it out! (NOTE: No idea how deep the property goes or the "shape" of the parcel - just outlining the general location.

Screenshot (175).png

• 1 month later...

Looks to be some additional infill coming to Midlothian Turnpike.   POD was file for a 2-story Veteran Housing complex in the parking lot of 5501 Midlothian Tpke.

image.png.279e9e49c7169f71fce52bcb942971f4.png

POD filed for 123 attached and detached single family homes at the vacant land across from Thomas C. Boushall Middle School

image.thumb.png.3dfd48d2e4a3a41db01aa8720f525009.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1