Apple Campus in the RTP

KJHburg

I can see the Triangle getting the lion's share of Apple jobs over time.  It’s WAY cheaper than any other location where Apple has a large workforce, and it has far less traffic.

I LOVE SF, but Cupertino is 50 miles from SF, and is ABSURDLY expensive.

I’ll take Raleigh over Cupertino any day.

21ED3FD8-50BD-4F18-8AB2-01BC0F4780B8.jpeg

F647FE9D-251F-46D6-A84B-D77A6B6EF193.jpeg

87F5D333-2BD7-410C-90B0-61BA63742F9C.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That is one reason I think this Apple campus will attract some of the best graduates from the east coast and experienced professionals from all over.  If you make $200K a year you can barely home a single family home in Silicon Valley where you can have quite a place in the Triangle.  and many East Coast born applicants will want to live on the east coast closer to their family and friends than move all the way to California and live in a shoe box only to say I work in the Apple round building.  

Furthermore, there is currently a mass exodus from CA, for a number of reasons. People are leaving and going to states like TX, FL, and NC in droves. I'm one of them...

The corporations are following the trend.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can see the Triangle getting the lion's share of Apple jobs over time.  It’s WAY cheaper than any other location where Apple has a large workforce, and it has far less traffic.

I LOVE SF, but Cupertino is 50 miles from SF, and is ABSURDLY expensive.

I’ll take Raleigh over Cupertino any day.

21ED3FD8-50BD-4F18-8AB2-01BC0F4780B8.jpeg

F647FE9D-251F-46D6-A84B-D77A6B6EF193.jpeg

87F5D333-2BD7-410C-90B0-61BA63742F9C.jpeg

To be fair, the first picture from Raleigh isn't a house. It's the Wakefield Plantation Clubhouse -- but it doesn't make your point invalid.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

To be fair, the first picture from Raleigh isn't a house. It's the Wakefield Plantation Clubhouse -- but it doesn't make your point invalid.  

I wonder why they aren't showing the actual house for sale for $975K in that picture. Unless i'm buying the clubhouse, it shouldn't be in the picture.

• Haha 1

If I had $2.6m to spend on a house, I'd rather spend it in the Triangle than in Silicon Valley.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/302-Annandale-Dr_Cary_NC_27511_M59797-13319

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/22650-San-Juan-Rd_Cupertino_CA_95014_M27180-41456

316F2B9C-7B9B-452F-8330-0545F7D0EF81.jpeg

39F165C6-9A6C-4FE1-9A8B-4EE4EDF31633.jpeg

91F92F06-B2D3-433D-BE22-9D36973B885A.jpeg

10D9B502-FC48-4B06-9495-4ED2205BDB4E.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My thoughts on the Apple campus in RTP I think it will be mid rise buildings 5-7 stories with structured parking decks.  It is interesting they are looking at the Metlife building on the lake and their property has a lake.  Also when they flirted with RTP a few years back they were looking at the 11000 Weston Pkwy building next door also on the lake.  That building is now occupied by Xerox mostly.   I also think 3000 employees is just the start and I think it will grow much bigger just like the Austin campus.  If you are an east coast college grad or native anyway from Maine to Florida I am betting you would like to work at this campus than an Austin or California location for lots of reason.  

I'd say lower taxes (than CA), lower cost of living, and more money are good incentives.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Story about Apple and how they will have a flex schedule with at least 3 days in the office and the soon to be campus in RTP.

As Apple plans RTP hub, CEO Tim Cook tells employees when and how they'll return to the office - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""According to Cook's email, which was viewed by The Verge, most employees will be asked to come in to the office on specific days –Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. They will be given the option to work remotely on Wednesdays and Fridays. But if an employee is part of a team that has to work in-person, they will return to a four- or five-day workweek.  “For all that we’ve been able to achieve while many of us have been separated, the truth is that there has been something essential missing from this past year: each other,” Cook said in the email, per The Verge. “Video conference calling has narrowed the distance between us, to be sure, but there are things it simply cannot replicate.”  Cook also laid out a plan to allow workers to take two weeks a year to work remotely, as long as their supervisors agree. This move is intended to allow Apple employees to work in a different location or to spend more time with friends and family, according to Cook's email.""

• Like 1

bragging about the low cost of housing compared to nocal is hilarious considering apple coming here is going to destroy that notion forever. 

we beg companies to come take over our awesome communities while the cost and availability of housing is getting more and more out of reach.  yet we celebrate.  fools.  

with zero transportation plan other than build more roads and now the legislature looking to do away with corporate taxes altogether, i gotta tell you, the future looks horrible.

some rich folks are gonna love the triangle and most of the rest will feel the squeeze without much more.  the framing of this as some ginat boon for a region that isn't in need of a savior is a total joke.  duke, unc, and state aren't going anywhere.  the triangle will always be relevant. unfortunately it's about to get even more crowded and expensive without getting much else. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

bragging about the low cost of housing compared to nocal is hilarious considering apple coming here is going to destroy that notion forever. 

we beg companies to come take over our awesome communities while the cost and availability of housing is getting more and more out of reach.  yet we celebrate.  fools.  

with zero transportation plan other than build more roads and now the legislature looking to do away with corporate taxes altogether, i gotta tell you, the future looks horrible.

some rich folks are gonna love the triangle and most of the rest will feel the squeeze without much more.  the framing of this as some ginat boon for a region that isn't in need of a savior is a total joke.  duke, unc, and state aren't going anywhere.  the triangle will always be relevant. unfortunately it's about to get even more crowded and expensive without getting much else. 

So what? We should say no to Apple, Google, and all the rest because we want to retain the perception that this is a low COL area? We should let all of those high paying jobs go to other states that would gladly accept them simply because a small percentage of people want to retain a low COL? We should stymie ourselves for future economic growth and good job  oppotunities for our children and grandchildren because we are afraid of being priced out when we already own our homes?

Who's the fool?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

This is exactly the type of thinking back in the day when Tobacco was God , Cotton was king, and Manufacturing  was supreme that led many southern states to fall way behind the north, and now find themselves struggling to transform their economies into a knowledge based economy so that they can get higher paying stable jobs.

We don't need to repeat the mistakes of the past.

12 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

Not if people who think like you have their way.

• Like 2

I have news for some of you Triangle area housing prices have been a tear for the last 2 years upward WAY BEFORE any announcement by Google or Apple.   There are 27 counties in NC where the median price for a home is less than $130,000 however none of them are booming with jobs.  

• Like 3

https://www.wral.com/wake-leaders-reveal-more-about-apple-s-1-billion-investment-in-north-carolina/19721291/

WRAL has released some screenshots of what the Apple Campus will look like.  So far, it will incorporate both retail and residential in addition to the office space. Looks like there will be some density/ height to it as well.

**Edit: Now that I watched the presentation and took a closer look at the photos. I believe this is just more photos of HUB RTP, 3 miles to the north of where Apple bought land. 

Edited by Gib
  • Like 4

Yes it was more the renderings of HUB RTP but this is very important amenity for the whole RTP.  First residential units inside the park with 550 units in the first phase by MAA apartments.  retail by White Point Partners of Charlotte and large office buildings by KDC out of Dallas.  The Boxyard is just a small part of this huge new downtown for RTP.   I would think many Apple employees will want to live there too. 

Triangle leaders gather to discuss recent economic development wins, future of RTP | WRAL TechWire

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting public records show the courtship of Apple.  At one point they looked at 400 acres of state owned lake south of I-40 and NC State Campus before deciding on the RTP track. 

Apple asked for a list of all the major tech employers in Raleigh Durham area and what their job roles were.  List of every datacenter in the state and the state had to scramble to provide that one.  

This project was called Project Bear and when they got interested back again in April 2021 they wanted the state to move fast and of course then it was announced.  Triangle Biz Journal is doing a series of articles on the pursuit of Apple.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 2:16 PM, KJHburg said:

I have news for some of you Triangle area housing prices have been a tear for the last 2 years upward WAY BEFORE any announcement by Google or Apple.   There are 27 counties in NC where the median price for a home is less than $130,000 however none of them are booming with jobs.  

That's right. It's IBM's fault!

• Haha 1