Apple Campus in the RTP

KJHburg

• 4 months later...

No signs of construction yet but BIG new NO trespassing signs on the Apple campus site.  I am sure they are in the design phase but I hear they are hiring like mad for this site and their temporary home in the MetLife campus in Cary.   Photo  of their temporary home and their site and a nearby neighbor of Credit Suisse.    The back side of the Apple campus is lakefront. 

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6082.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

• Like 4

Out of curiosity I did a quick Google search to see what the timeline looked like for the Austin campus that NC was originally considered for. Looks like they agreed on the site in 2018 and are currently under construction with expected occupancy in 2022. So we are likely looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 2025 for the campus to be complete. Could be a bit longer since the site is basically a forest or a little bit shorter since the plan is for a smaller hub (3k in RTP vs baseline of 5k in Austin).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

Out of curiosity I did a quick Google search to see what the timeline looked like for the Austin campus that NC was originally considered for. Looks like they agreed on the site in 2018 and are currently under construction with expected occupancy in 2022. So we are likely looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 2025 for the campus to be complete. Could be a bit longer since the site is basically a forest or a little bit shorter since the plan is for a smaller hub (3k in RTP vs baseline of 5k in Austin).

it take a long time for their 2nd Apple campus in Austin but they did already have one there about 1 mile away.  So I am sure they put their first hires in their existing buildings while planning the new campus.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Apple leases another building this time closer to its future RTP campus in Durham County.  Campus will be built on the Wake County side of the RTP. 

""Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), which has been subleasing MetLife’s Building 3 in Cary, has turned to Imperial Center’s Innovation I building off Slater Road. The California-based tech company has leased the entire 140,000-square-foot, 4-story building, multiple real estate sources confirm, including space vacated by the former primary tenant, biotech firm Biogen (Nasdaq: BIIB) of Massachusetts, which is scaling back its Triangle footprint.""   that is 340,000 sq ft if anyone is counting of office space leased in both Cary and now in Durham County. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/08/09/apple-lease-durham-office-space-expansion.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure why this Apple campus is so shrouded in mystery.  

"""Public records released by Wake County at the behest of a public records request show a slew of back-and-forth filings with regulators have been happening – from August until at least late October.

The filings, under the name Acute Investments – the entity tied to the land Apple has targeted for the project – are to get the necessary permissions surrounding wetland buffers and sediment control measures that will be required to protect the area, which is located in the Jordan Lake watershed.

They are in addition to what Triangle Business Journal previously reported regarding plans for a construction trailer at the site.

It's further indication that – despite an industry where much is changing due to remote working – Apple still intends to push forward with plans at RTP.

Apple did not respond to a request to comment on this story – and it’s clear that they’re keeping plans close to the vest.

In August, Acute Investments, through attorney Bruce Thompson, told the county it planned to submit “confidential business information,” including “trade secrets” as part of the regulatory process – and that it hoped to keep them from the public.""

from the Biz Journal today https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/01/03/permit-activity-is-picking-up-at-apple-site.html

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
49 minutes ago, po-boy said:

Great to see progress on this! I wonder if the building will be anything special. Even if not, this is Great for the region.

this is their new Apple campus in Austin they will start with a building or two and keep expanding it as they grow their operation there.  

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/01/11/apple-spending-240m-to-expand-its-austin-texas-campus

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

So excited to see this begin construction , and glad it will feature a little altitude 

And this is just the beginning! But c’mon Apple, give us a bit more height. Seven stories is great but how we gonna compete with those skyscrapers down in Charlotte at only 73 feet! 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Apple plans to petition to have a new interchange built nearby because as it is today, I don’t see a real direct path off of 540. The buildings will be mere feet from the highway but it looks like you’ll need to traverse a bunch of roads to get to the campus. I guess the plan is to exit 540 at NC-55 and circle back to Little Drive where I assume there’ll be a entrance to campus. 

IMG_1269.jpeg

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 4

^^^I doubt it  as it is way too close to 885 interchange with 540.  only thing I think you could do is make an exit only ramp but I doubt they will do that.   It will be a major employer but Cisco right on the other side of that lake is even bigger employer now.  

• Like 2

TBJ finally realizes that the Apple Campus is just more of the same suburban office park that RTP really needs to move away from. This aint gonna help with the land use transformation desperately needed in the Park -- this is shortsighted.

For its first phase of development on 41 acres, Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) wants to build six buildings totaling almost 1 million square feet and a parking deck/area that can hold about 3,000 cars.... The buildings are likely to be 6 to 8 stories tall – very similar to some of the other big-company tenants in the park such as Cisco (Nasdaq: CSCO), IBM (NYSE: IBM) and Fidelity Investments. 

If Apple builds its AI research and development team in RTP, it likely will become the most valuable arm of the company within a decade. The question that remains, however, is whether the company can recruit enough engineers and programmers and ask them to drive to the park every day, since we do not have any public transportation. That’s a public policy issue that needs further discussion from our lawmakers, who are first in line to take credit when big companies make big job announcements.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/07/06/apple-rtp-campus-expansion-iphones-ipads.html

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, kermit said:

TBJ finally realizes that the Apple Campus is just more of the same suburban office park that RTP really needs to move away from. This aint gonna help with the land use transformation desperately needed in the Park -- this is shortsighted.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/07/06/apple-rtp-campus-expansion-iphones-ipads.html

Who the $*^! cares? They are bringing 3,000 jobs with an average salary above $200K. Now if this was being planned for Charlotte i'm sure that you wouldn't have any issues with it.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I remember when the RTP census tract finally showed up on Twitter’s @evertract and the urbanists lost their minds. They’d never seen such an abomination but Apple saw that and was like “Yes please!”  

edit: yes I know this isn’t the tract apple is located in

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:04 PM, RALNATIVE said:

Who the $*^! cares? They are bringing 3,000 jobs with an average salary above $200K. Now if this was being planned for Charlotte i'm sure that you wouldn't have any issues with it.    

Has any Raleigh user ever actually read a single post in the Charlotte forum or do yall just echo what you think Charlotte people post about? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3