Noise Pollution

GVLer

Greenville has a downtown that is the envy of many other locations. However, if they continue to allow the incredibly obnoxious revving cars and motorcycles along Main, the End of Days religious zealots on microphones, etc then they risk killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Please protect the charm of downtown GVL and rein in the excesses. Rant over. 

• Like 3

Freedom of speech says otherwise in regards to the religious zealots on microphones. There’s already a noise ordinance in place for the CBD. Not sure what more the city can do. The police can’t and aren’t going to write tickets to every single person violating it. These noise issues aren’t a new issue downtown either. They’ve been going on since the 90’s.

Edited by gman430

I say go to Paris Mountain State Park if you don’t to hear any noise. But even there, you will hear loud gunshots from those that live around the mountain. There is noise everywhere. We just have to accept it and drown it out. 

Agreed about the ridiculous cars cruising down main street making excessive noise. Probably my biggest complaint about downtown Greenville.

It would be so incredibly easy to stage a cop to write them all tickets... I have a feeling someone is afraid of upsetting the dad of one of these 18 year olds with a $30k+ car though.

It always makes me laugh that they'd rather shut down steets to avoid cruising instead of just punishing the cruisers. I mean I agree with shutting down the streets on weekends, but that's about the laziest reason to do it.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 1

Enforce current ordinances every once in a while.  Even sporadic enforcement is a strong deterrent.  The folks with motorcycles that have radios with speakers loud enough for the rider to hear through the wind (and their helmets, sheesh) that roll through town without lowering the volume is my number one complaint.  You can hear them  blocks away and they do it even in the middle of the night or very early morning. Not always the most child friendly lyrics to hear at those times (or any) either.

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't help but snap this gem last weekend. I'm all for freedom of speech, but I don't understand why they get to use a microphone. I'm getting pretty tired of not being able to walk downtown on the weekends without someone yelling at me (and my kid - apparently soccer is of the devil) that I'm going to hell, all while recording it for YouTube hoping someone will get in a confrontation with them so they can get some views.

3F6A2040.jpg

• Like 4

Every city that is a tourist area and has one main road for it like King Street in Charleston, Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach, and Broadway in Nashville has this issue. Not really sure what can be done besides more enforcement by the police and closing off Main Street to vehicular traffic. 

Edited by gman430