Mozaic West

vicupstate

I feel like this project has gone before the Planning Commission 1,537 times now. Are they ever going to move forward with it or just keep getting deferred month after month after month? 

Edited by gman430

It has only gone before them once, it was deferred several months (which is why it has been on so many agendas)  and is going before them again this month.  PC only makes a recommendation so it will go to council (unless it is deferred again), whether the PC gives it thumbs up or down. Obviously the developers would prefer a Thumbs Up.  

This project has morphed quite a bit and I think this project is a good one that should be approved. If I were a betting man I would bet that it does.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Mosaic West

The latest incarnation.   Going before Planning Commission this month. 

Seems pretty solid. 133 units, and 5 stories up on Academy. I like that they're including a community-focused commercial space along Calhoun. I look forward to a more detailed look at the designs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Mozaic is being reincarnated into a 49 unit townhouse project. Initially they will all be rental but may convert to for sale after a period of time. No rezoning will be involved but there would still be city approvals required for land subdivision and perhaps more.  Access would be from Perry and Ware streets. 

13 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Mozaic is being reincarnated into a 49 unit townhouse project. Initially they will all be rental but may convert to for sale after a period of time. No rezoning will be involved but there would still be city approvals required for land subdivision and perhaps more.  Access would be from Perry and Ware streets. 

Wow. Talk about a huge step back. Did the NIMBY’s kill The original plan? And this project just refuses to die doesn’t it? Honestly, I wish it just would now. 

Edited by gman430

Opposition from the neighborhood was the reason. I wish they had started with the proposal they ended up with last.   Trying to put a parking garage next to SFHs put the project in a hole it never got out of.  

The thing is, the principals seem to be leaving out the affordable element but I don't see how they can and still get the HUD properties.  There are definitely some unanswered questions about this latest proposal.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, GMoxley said:

Why is it a joke?

Look at what was originally proposed to what is proposed now. That’s all you need to know. Reminds me of what happened to the Pinnacle on Main and Peacock hotel. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Look at what was originally proposed to what is proposed now. That’s all you need to know. Reminds me of what happened to the Pinnacle on Main and Peacock hotel. 

Actually before they pulled the plug, the number of units was the same. The biggest difference was the garage went underground, which was a really good thing.  They have millions invested in this site, they aren't likely to give up or sell it.  The original was problematic but the final version was very appealing, IMO.  

The townhomes along Perry and Ware and in the interior most part of the site next to Perry will all be 2 story story. As you get closer to Academy there is a three story section.  The site is divided into two parts.  The Academy front part is  about half the acreage and  is zoned differently.  It will have more density. There were few details on that part but they will have them at next week's meeting. It will have an above grade  parking garage though.   

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The final community meeting will be tomorrow (Tuesday) at 6:30pm at the Kroc Center.  There will be more information presented than in the prior meetings PLUS it will be charrette style, so that attendees can comment on various aspects of the project.  There is still a lot of pushback from the West End folks on the density and traffic, etc.  If you want to see more density and affordable housing in Greenville, this is an excellent chance to have some direct impact.  They are trying to get a grocer in the Academy St section.             

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2