Mozaic West

vicupstate

I’m glad it hasn’t died. This development will provide some much needed density to the area. This newest iteration is, IMHO, better than the original as it integrates the property on the corner of McCall and Academy and they’re working to get a grocer to fill the large retail space. This will create great walk ability for the surrounding neighborhoods.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Yes, I was very glad to hear the former Dialysis property was now included.  I hope this gets approved.  We really need more housing units in this city. It is just getting insane to either rent or buy.    

We would have more units if these developers would actually start construction on their long delayed promised projects. Not sure what the hold up is. I guess it’s impossible to get a bank loan right now. :dontknow: 

Edited by gman430

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

We would have more units if these developers would actually start construction on their long delayed promised projects. Not sure what the hold up is. I guess it’s impossible to get a bank loan right now. :dontknow: 

That isn't what is affecting this project. They have to get it APPROVED from the city. Their initial design did not get approved and they went through multiple changes on that one.  They went back to the drawing board and are trying to get the new version approved. 

Financing has gotten more costly, so that may be affecting other projects but the demand for product is clearly there.  

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

The hold up is entirely because the neighborhood did not like the original design and put up such a stink that the city council rejected the PD rezoning  request.

8 hours ago, vicupstate said:

That isn't what is affecting this project. They have to get it APPROVED from the city. Their initial design did not get approved and they went through multiple changes on that one.  They went back to the drawing board and are trying to get the new version approved. 

Financing has gotten more costly, so that may be affecting other projects but the demand for product is clearly there.  

Oh I know. I was referring to other projects downtown that have been approved but still haven’t started construction yet like the one on the AGFA site. 

Edited by gman430

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, gman430 said:

If I was the developer, I would have walked away by now instead of trying to please the NIMBY’s. 

Nothing would please the NIMBYs more than that.  They would love to see it remain undeveloped. Sitting on an investment without turning a profit on it is a fast track to bankruptcy. 

• Like 1

I used to live in that area. If the developer presented a grocery store of some type, a parking garage instead of surface spaces, and a nice / decent sized green space away from Academy with some trees/shade/benches (along with the rest of what they want to develop)--- I bet the neighborhood would clamor to have them. 

1 hour ago, ingvegas said:

I used to live in that area. If the developer presented a grocery store of some type, a parking garage instead of surface spaces, and a nice / decent sized green space away from Academy with some trees/shade/benches (along with the rest of what they want to develop)--- I bet the neighborhood would clamor to have them. 

That is pretty much what there last proposal was.  They said they wanted a grocer and a parking garage.  There was some open space as well.  I don't know if that has changed or if so, in what way.  The most vocal neighbors want SFHs  but that would be a money loser unless they were mansions, and maybe not even then. 

As much as I would love to get one there, a grocery store wouldn't work. A real store needs to be 35k sq/ft to compete, otherwise its going to be like a Caviar & Bananas / Reids type operation. Developers love to bait projects with promises of "neighborhood markets" even though they know they'll never materialize. Beach Company did this with Canvas https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/real-estate/developer-turn-bbt-tower-apartments/

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Trader Joe's is smaller than that, more like 20k SF, IIRC.  The Beach Company sold off too much of their holdings, IMO. They could have gotten a grocer in there had they supplied more parking and devoted the entire first floor to it.   

trader joes are 8-15k sq/ft. The problem is that mosaic spot doesn't have enough wealth density or traffic to sustain a TJs. Median hhold income is only like $61k (for reference, Lewis Plaza with the HT is $110k). And we've already got a TJs a few miles away. Again, I'd love a small grocer, but its a tough haul and developers shouldn't promise what they can't deliver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...